The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 02:41:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 02:41:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is the common view on Satanism?  (Read 19295 times)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #30: December 18, 2008, 07:47:36 am »

Same, I read it as I believe it was intended.
Ditto, but you get that Smiley

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Atheris
Apprentice
Last Login:May 31, 2012, 12:57:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Goddess Blessings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: December 22, 2008, 09:57:42 pm »

As for other forms of Satanism - I don't know enough about them to form a decent opinion.

A couple a years ago I spent some time studying Satanism simply to understand what it was all about.

I found myself classifying the different Satanic groups into three categories:
   1- Atheistic Satanism.  These are atheistic groups that call themselves Satanists for the shock value.  ie. The Church of Satan
   2- Theistic Satanism.  These groups believe Satan/Lucifer is either a god or a higher being who wants to lead humans to either enlightenment or godhood.  Google "Joy of Satan" for an example.
   3- Inverted Christianity.  These people have a Christian outlook of the world but choose to side with Satan for whatever reason.  The few dangerous Satanists tend to fall under this third category.

Again, this is just my personal way of understanding the Various Satanic religions.

Peace,
Atheris
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: December 23, 2008, 04:38:21 am »

A couple a years ago I spent some time studying Satanism simply to understand what it was all about.

I found myself classifying the different Satanic groups into three categories:
   1- Atheistic Satanism.  These are atheistic groups that call themselves Satanists for the shock value.  ie. The Church of Satan

I always felt that there was more to it than the shock value.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #33: December 23, 2008, 05:13:17 pm »

I always felt that there was more to it than the shock value.

The Church of Satan or people calling themselves Satanists for shock value?

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: December 23, 2008, 06:14:04 pm »

The Church of Satan or people calling themselves Satanists for shock value?

I'm not going to answer this directly, because I may give the wrong impression.
1) I imagine there is more to the Church of Satan than shock value.  I'm not personally experienced with it, and I know a lot of Satanists left when they tried to charge for membership.
2) I think there's an exxageration of the numbers of shock value Satanists.  That is, I doubt any of the shock Satanists have actually grappled with the philosophy.
3) I was most particularly disagreeing with the idea that atheistic Satanists must be doing it for shock value.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #35: December 23, 2008, 06:21:57 pm »

I'm not going to answer this directly, because I may give the wrong impression.
1) I imagine there is more to the Church of Satan than shock value.  I'm not personally experienced with it, and I know a lot of Satanists left when they tried to charge for membership.
2) I think there's an exxageration of the numbers of shock value Satanists.  That is, I doubt any of the shock Satanists have actually grappled with the philosophy.
3) I was most particularly disagreeing with the idea that atheistic Satanists must be doing it for shock value.

Hm, I dunno what your answer would have been otherwise but that pretty much answers what I wanted to know. Smiley So thanks.

I have to agree with you for the most part. I do remember reading a discussion between a few people and one of them was, I suppose, an atheistic Satanist. It was something along the lines of using the ideal of what Satan did (be independant, strong, etc) as a moral guide? I'm probably completely wrong but it was the jist of what I can remember, or at least what I can gather from the words 'atheistic Satanist'. Am I pretty far off?

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: December 23, 2008, 06:26:38 pm »

Hm, I dunno what your answer would have been otherwise but that pretty much answers what I wanted to know. Smiley So thanks.

I have to agree with you for the most part. I do remember reading a discussion between a few people and one of them was, I suppose, an atheistic Satanist. It was something along the lines of using the ideal of what Satan did (be independant, strong, etc) as a moral guide? I'm probably completely wrong but it was the jist of what I can remember, or at least what I can gather from the words 'atheistic Satanist'. Am I pretty far off?

That's basically it.  What atheistic Satanists talk about seems to usually follow those lines.  Much like one could be an atheist and still follow the guidance of Buddha.  It's about thinking that X and Y are sensible beliefs/ actions that stand up to the light of reason.  I don't agree with all aspects of Satanic philosophy, but I think they have some interesting points.

orioncali
Apprentice
Last Login:November 13, 2011, 08:50:05 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: December 30, 2008, 08:21:39 pm »

I was reading it with some lads i know, it doesnt at all seem the way people portray it to be. Doesnt seem evil all that evil. Just over indulgence maybe? We all are guilty of that, well, at least i am a bit.
I put this here because it doesnt seem in the realm of paganism, but, i have a feeling in your search through paganism this must have come up for you.

I have talked to some and researched a bit about Satanism, and found that it is highly varied. There are so many forms, and there a few that do not even believe in the devil. In my opinion it is a lot like paganism, there are so many forms and interpretations that exist and are completely different.

~And that my Lord is how we know the world is banana shaped~

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again
MakaniAhi
Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2009, 01:26:21 am

Religion: Hawaiian Panentheism

Aloha kākou!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: February 17, 2009, 12:32:39 am »

I was reading it with some lads i know, it doesnt at all seem the way people portray it to be. Doesnt seem evil all that evil. Just over indulgence maybe? We all are guilty of that, well, at least i am a bit.
I put this here because it doesnt seem in the realm of paganism, but, i have a feeling in your search through paganism this must have come up for you.

My view of Satanism is probably somewhat atypical.

I view Satan and Jehovah as the Odd Couple.  Jehovah is Felix, the fuss-budget, giving rules for this, that, and the other thing.  He likes His world very well organized and builds a wall around it, calling it Heaven, and you can only play there if you follow His rules.  Therefore, hell is when you're separated from Jehovah and you get left on the outside.  He even builds a gate where you have to account for yourself to get in.

Meanwhile, Satan is like Oscar--much more indulgent.  You get to indulge in ALL the things that God gave you, including eating from the Tree of Knowledge (really, who puts a really great toy right in the middle of the living room in front of their kids and says, don't touch?).  Satanism, in my view, is more about using God's gifts, making choices, and taking responsibility for those choices.  Heaven and hell is a result of your choices on earth, while you live, not about a judgemental afterlife.

~MakaniAhi

A'a i ka hula.  Waiho i ka hilahila i ka hale.  (Dare to dance.  Leave embarrassment at home.)
fatalperfection
Journeyman
Last Login:September 14, 2010, 03:46:05 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan... with wiccan elements

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: February 23, 2009, 01:28:08 am »

I have heard of the athiest form, which I don't know a lot about. But I know they aren't evil. They are atheistic and only use Satan as a symbol...

However, I have come across some very disturbing forms of Satanism. Including people purposely doing magic in the name of Satan to hurt others... (whether it works is not for me to say... it's the intention I find disturbing), using their concept of demons to try and put power trips on others, stuff like that. I have heard violent accounts of certain Satanic sects, but I was not there, so I will not say it is or isn't verified. However, I think it's like any religion... Don't judge a person who claims to be a Satanist based on what you see in other Satanists, hear about other Satanists, or even what Satanic texts state... Every person is different. Just get to know that person's beliefs. Every religion has it's bad and it's good. There are wonderful Christians and Christians who kill... same with every religion. Now you can say well they're not real "x religion"... And that's another discussion entirely. But in general, I would say if you meet someone and they claim a religion (like Satanism), just ask their personal beliefs before you jump to conclusions... Religious definitions are made by humans and are easily changed by humans. Hope that helps.

PM me if you like! I would love to meet other pagans in my area (AZ)... I am basically neo-pagan with a tendency towards eclectic wicca, but I am open to anybody!
Valhana
Apprentice
Last Login:July 23, 2009, 10:06:27 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: March 27, 2009, 05:44:16 pm »

I was reading it with some lads i know, it doesnt at all seem the way people portray it to be.

Be that as it may, there seems to be A LOT of people who portray it as the quintessence of evil.  The thread made me want to look further into it, and boy is the info and opinions on the matter all over the place.  From what I could tell,  there are no 'serious' or 'organized' Satanist branches that are evil per say.  There are however dozens of Satan-related cults that are a lot more obscure, and difficult to research for lack of internet exposure.  And some information on how you should go into "recovered memory" therapy to make sure that you were not a victim of "SRA" (Satanic or Sadistic Ritual Abuse) as a child....

Ow my head.

The bottom line is that (a) people are never perfect, but love can be, (b) that is the one and only way that the mediocre and vile can be transformed, and (c) doing that makes it that. We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: March 27, 2009, 05:51:52 pm »

And some information on how you should go into "recovered memory" therapy to make sure that you were not a victim of "SRA" (Satanic or Sadistic Ritual Abuse) as a child....

That's bound to be the dumbest advice I've heard in a while.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Valhana
Apprentice
Last Login:July 23, 2009, 10:06:27 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: March 27, 2009, 06:04:40 pm »

That's bound to be the dumbest advice I've heard in a while.

I very, very much agree with you there!  Wink

The bottom line is that (a) people are never perfect, but love can be, (b) that is the one and only way that the mediocre and vile can be transformed, and (c) doing that makes it that. We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love.
Luzifer
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 24, 2009, 12:28:33 pm

Religion: Non-defined Paganism/Satanism

Respect Intelligence Above All Else......

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: May 16, 2009, 01:16:09 am »

Satanism, like paganism, varies greatly by individual, though 3-4 groups are widely accepted.

LeVayan Satanism was founded by Anton LeVay in 1969, He founded the Church of Satan. The Church of Satan is an athiestic philosophy closer to humanism then religion.

The Temple of Set is an off-shoot of the CoS, and believes roughly the same things as them.

that is athiestic satanism though there is such a thing as thiestic satanism too.

Theistic satanism is the belief in Satan as an actual diety; most forms of thiestic satanism dont accept the christian mythos of satan, but believe him to be more like how christians view thier god.

there is luciferianism which identifies more with the lucifer aspect of satan, lucifer is the bringer of knowledge.

then there is enkism, which is a very varied belief, most in this path refer to satan as enki, after the ancient sumerian (i think its sumerian) god.

then there are devil worshippers (reverse-christians) these people are the lowest on the totem pole, almost all satanists look down on these miscreants, mostly they are teenagers who want to rebel, they arent true satanists, simple christians trying to be opposite.

hope this helped,
Luzifer

"It is only when we have stopped being biased towards one answer or another that you can find what you really believe.
And truly set yourself free; not from doubt though, because that is a fundamental necessary trait that keeps us from pulling the wool over our own eyes." - Luzifer
goatboy
Apprentice
Last Login:May 23, 2009, 09:28:37 am

Religion: Luciferian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: May 17, 2009, 03:01:27 pm »

It seems the common view of the Forum members is informed, sensible & delivered after some thought.
Unfortunately, the common view of much of the media, general public and many Neo-Pagans in the UK is of the knee-jerk variety, Satan = Evil !!!!!!
As a full-contact Satanic puppy, I find it annoying to be labelled a devil-worshipper, and refuse to correct
anyone who is silly enough to judge without research. It would be a waste of my breath, cos they don't want to listen to my evil lies.
The mind of the fundamentalist is like the iris of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the smaller it gets.
I've got to say this forum restores my faith in the human race, may it live long and prosper.
Thank God for Satan and Vulcan.

How do they get the Teflon to stick to the pans?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)