The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 10:30:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 10:30:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My avatar pic...  (Read 4303 times)
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 08, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

... looks fuzzy to me. Does it look fuzzy to you? The picture is clear, and it looks clear on my computer. I upload it to Photobucket, and then it looks fuzzy like this. ? The res is 72, the size... I have to check, I think it's a smidge too big actually. I'll change it then, I just wondered why it would be fuzzy when uploaded to photobucket? I uploaded the original to TCN and it looks fine.

Hmph, I'm miffed now. Tongue

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: December 08, 2008, 09:25:42 pm »

... looks fuzzy to me. Does it look fuzzy to you? The picture is clear, and it looks clear on my computer. I upload it to Photobucket, and then it looks fuzzy like this. ? The res is 72, the size... I have to check, I think it's a smidge too big actually. I'll change it then, I just wondered why it would be fuzzy when uploaded to photobucket? I uploaded the original to TCN and it looks fine.

I don't know why it's blurry here, but I know it is too large file-size wise to be an avatar.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 08, 2008, 11:38:48 pm »

I don't know why it's blurry here, but I know it is too large file-size wise to be an avatar.
Grr, I just looked at the guidelines again and it is too big! I thought I would be ok since the actual picture size is right. How the heck do I make it smaller without getting the resolution too low? How did we do it last time, someone needed to do it for me then too. lol.

*off to rummage in the archives...*

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 08, 2008, 11:46:42 pm »

*off to rummage in the archives...*
Well, Beachglass did it for me last time (in the Testing thread), but no one ever explained how to compress the image or what have you. In Photoshop, I've just been trying to lower the resolution and make the dimensions smaller, to no avail.

Could someone tell me how to do this? Beachglass mentioned a "resizing avatars" tutorial; I think that would be very helpful.

Randall, if this doesn't get resolved by tomorrow I'll go back to the old avatar... I don't want this too big one clogging anything up for too long!

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: December 09, 2008, 05:15:40 am »

Well, Beachglass did it for me last time (in the Testing thread), but no one ever explained how to compress the image or what have you. In Photoshop, I've just been trying to lower the resolution and make the dimensions smaller, to no avail.

Could someone tell me how to do this? Beachglass mentioned a "resizing avatars" tutorial; I think that would be very helpful.

Randall, if this doesn't get resolved by tomorrow I'll go back to the old avatar... I don't want this too big one clogging anything up for too long!

Lowering the resolution should have helped, as should making the dimensions smaller--I'm not sure why it didn't.

I'll resize it for you in a couple of hours when I get to work and can get at my graphics tools.  (Which, I know, doesn't help you learn how to do it yourself, but at least you'll have an avatar that's within guidelines.)  I don't know Photoshop very well, so I'm not sure what to tell you there.

Incidentally, it doesn't look fuzzy to me at all...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: December 09, 2008, 07:02:57 am »

Incidentally, it doesn't look fuzzy to me at all...

OK, on the monitor at work I can see a little more what you're talking about, I think--there are just a few little bits here and there.  Mostly it still looks OK, though.  Smiley

Here's the smaller version.  I did do some compression on it, but unfortunately I'm not sure how to do that in Photoshop so I couldn't tell you how to do it for yourself.  Sad  In Paint Shop Pro, it's an option you set when you're saving the file...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 09, 2008, 04:16:08 pm »

OK, on the monitor at work I can see a little more what you're talking about, I think--there are just a few little bits here and there.  Mostly it still looks OK, though.  Smiley

Here's the smaller version.  I did do some compression on it, but unfortunately I'm not sure how to do that in Photoshop so I couldn't tell you how to do it for yourself.  Sad  In Paint Shop Pro, it's an option you set when you're saving the file...
Thank you! I tried looking up Photoshop compression on the internet (and in their help), but none of it seems very simple. :/ Well... it's not a simple program, but the tutorials don't say "do this, then this, then this," they all seem to have lengthy explanations that don't relate to the simple *how do i compress this!?!?!* part. *sigh*

Thanks again. I guess new pics for me will be few and far between! I still don't know how the other one was perfectly clear, but this one's weird. Whatever. It'll do!

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 09, 2008, 04:37:07 pm »

Thank you! I tried looking up Photoshop compression on the internet (and in their help), but none of it seems very simple.

It's been quite some time since I tried to use Photoshop, but if I remember right, if you're saving as a .JPG, there is a "quality" slider in the "Save" dialog that basically controls the compression level of the JPG.  It can make the image "fuzzier," but typically it's less noticeable in small images.

(trots off to check the wife's computer)

Yep, after you choose the file name, a dialog box comes up with quality options.  Lower quality = higher compression.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 09, 2008, 04:47:58 pm »

It's been quite some time since I tried to use Photoshop, but if I remember right, if you're saving as a .JPG, there is a "quality" slider in the "Save" dialog that basically controls the compression level of the JPG.  It can make the image "fuzzier," but typically it's less noticeable in small images.

(trots off to check the wife's computer)

Yep, after you choose the file name, a dialog box comes up with quality options.  Lower quality = higher compression.
Got it! Good to know... it looks just as fuzzy as it does now though. lol. I wish Beachglass were around. The last one was perfect and now I'm wondering how!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)