The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 30, 2020, 03:38:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 30, 2020, 03:38:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another Avatar Question  (Read 4576 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 02, 2007, 02:21:10 pm »

I feel like a complete moron asking this, but...

How do avatars work on this board??  I've read Randall's post about avatar rules and the thread Jazzie started about getting an avatar from photobucket.

But I think I need a basic question answered.  Where can our avatars come from? 

I assume graphics we create are OK (like Star's star, I think) -- of course, I have no clue how to do that. 

How about picutes we take (like Jazzie's pic of her dog)?  How do we know if they meet the guidelines? 

How about pics on the web?  F'ex, if I wanted to use a photo of the Newgrange sprial, there are tons on the web.  Is downloading one and using it as an avatar OK or a no-no?

I'm REALLY sorry to ask these stupid questions.  As I said in another thread:  old dog, new tricks, etc.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: March 02, 2007, 02:28:28 pm »

I assume graphics we create are OK (like Star's star, I think) -- of course, I have no clue how to do that. 

How about picutes we take (like Jazzie's pic of her dog)?  How do we know if they meet the guidelines? 

As far as copyright, any picture you've taken (or made) yourself is fine, or any picture someone else has taken (or made) that you have permission from them to use is just fine.  Some Web sites with photos give permission to use them, or give permission under certain circumstances, so if your Newgrange spiral picture came from one of those it would be OK.

(That said, pictures of public places, probably we're not going to question too much anyway, especially if they're pretty generic.)

As far as whether it meets our guidelines for size, etc., the easiest thing might be to post a link to it here if it's one on the Web, or attach it if it's just on your computer, and one of us can let you know (and probably even resize it for you if it's too big).

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 02, 2007, 03:49:18 pm »

As far as whether it meets our guidelines for size, etc., the easiest thing might be to post a link to it here if it's one on the Web, or attach it if it's just on your computer, and one of us can let you know (and probably even resize it for you if it's too big).

Thanks, Star.

I'd like to use one of my own pics, so I'll work on getting them out of the crashed-fixed-crashing again computer.  That'll probably take a while.  It's not at the tippy-top of my to-do list.  Wink

And I'll take you up on the offer to check it for size.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 03, 2007, 06:12:31 am »

Moon Ivy,

I use Photo bucket.  If you upload your pic, you can resize it using photo bucket.  It even will resize it specifically to be an Avatar if you choose (100 x 75), which is what I did.  Hope that helps.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 03, 2007, 10:56:06 am »

I use Photo bucket.  If you upload your pic, you can resize it using photo bucket.  It even will resize it specifically to be an Avatar if you choose (100 x 75), which is what I did.  Hope that helps.

Yes, that helps a lot.  Thanks!

I've never used photobucket, although my kids have.  I suppose if they can figure it out, I can too.

I didn't realize you could do all that on photobucket.  I thought it was just a storage site.  (I would insert the blushing emoticon here, if I could find it...)

So much to learn...

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 03, 2007, 10:59:30 am »

I didn't realize you could do all that on photobucket.  I thought it was just a storage site.  (I would insert the blushing emoticon here, if I could find it...)

So much to learn...

This one?  Embarrassed It's called embarrassed here. I think at some point Randall may add a few, but I'm not sure.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 03, 2007, 11:01:30 am »

This one?  Embarrassed It's called embarrassed here. I think at some point Randall may add a few, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I think that's right.  Let's see:   Embarrassed

Ah, yes.  Thanks!

Embarrassed

jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 04, 2007, 06:20:40 am »

Yes, that helps a lot.  Thanks!

I've never used photobucket, although my kids have.  I suppose if they can figure it out, I can too.

So much to learn...

I didn't realise you could do that with photobucket either -  Embarrassed embarrassed with you. I thought it was a storage site too. Star redid mine so that it would fit. I think I'll go play around over there when I have some spare time. So rare these days. I don't want to change my avatar, it's one of my favourite photos - she's so gangly and funny looking with those big ears. But I do want to know how to do it.

Thanks to Everfool for posting the info!

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 04, 2007, 07:00:53 am »

++Thanks to Everfool for posting the info!++

No problem. I pretty much discovered it by poking about. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: March 04, 2007, 08:07:23 am »

I didn't realise you could do that with photobucket either -  Embarrassed embarrassed with you.

I didn't know it either, or I would've told you.  Smiley  (Not that I minded redoing it.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: March 04, 2007, 12:18:46 pm »

I didn't know it either, or I would've told you.  Smiley  (Not that I minded redoing it.)

Thanks, guys!  I feel much better now. Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)