The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 07, 2020, 11:04:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2020, 11:04:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Jewish tradition - stacking cups?  (Read 6142 times)
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 11, 2008, 07:08:57 am »

One of the men I work with is a Haisidic (sp?) Jew.  He has a steadily growing stack of paper cups on his desk that apparently has a kind of religious significance.  I wondered if anyone on the board (Jewish or otherwise) knew what it's about.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 11, 2008, 07:32:18 am »

One of the men I work with is a Haisidic (sp?) Jew.  He has a steadily growing stack of paper cups on his desk that apparently has a kind of religious significance.  I wondered if anyone on the board (Jewish or otherwise) knew what it's about.

No idea, but I can ask my cousin, or if I get time even run down to Chabad House.

How do you know that it has religious significance?  I mean, what has he said to indicate this?

Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 11, 2008, 06:23:48 pm »

No idea, but I can ask my cousin, or if I get time even run down to Chabad House.

How do you know that it has religious significance?  I mean, what has he said to indicate this?

My two bosses have said that it is at various times.  He really keeps to himself, so IDK. ...
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #3: December 11, 2008, 09:42:44 pm »

The only thing that comes to mind is that sometimes very observant Jews will use paper dishes in order to keep from using dishes that haven't been koshered.

Sperran
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 12, 2008, 12:03:18 am »

My two bosses have said that it is at various times.  He really keeps to himself, so IDK. ...

I asked my cousin via e-mail, and hope to hear back in the AM my time. If not, it will have to wait until after Shabbat. I also asked a couple at shul and they had no idea what it was about, but they are not Chasid.
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 12, 2008, 06:49:41 am »

The only thing that comes to mind is that sometimes very observant Jews will use paper dishes in order to keep from using dishes that haven't been koshered.

Sperran

Hmm...this could be it. I guess that would make sense.
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 12, 2008, 06:55:41 am »

I asked my cousin via e-mail, and hope to hear back in the AM my time. If not, it will have to wait until after Shabbat. I also asked a couple at shul and they had no idea what it was about, but they are not Chasid.

Thanks!
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 12, 2008, 07:29:35 am »

Hmm...this could be it. I guess that would make sense.

Except it doesn't explain why they'd be saved and stacked.  Disposable plates and cups are used when traveling or visiting a non-kosher place.

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #8: December 12, 2008, 10:13:48 am »

Except it doesn't explain why they'd be saved and stacked.  Disposable plates and cups are used when traveling or visiting a non-kosher place.

I agree that the saving and stacking doesn't make sense, either.  That was just the best guess I could muster.

Sperran
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 12, 2008, 10:30:09 am »

Thanks!

Heard back from my cousin.  She's never heard of it.  Sounds like your boss made something up, especially since he wasn't the one doing the stacking.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: December 12, 2008, 10:31:36 am »

Heard back from my cousin.  She's never heard of it.  Sounds like your boss made something up, especially since he wasn't the one doing the stacking.

I was wondering if maybe there was a prankster involved.  'I'll stack cups and tell people it's a religious thing!'

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 12, 2008, 07:21:40 pm »

blargh, okay.  I guess I should've expected it from him.  Thanks for digging around for me, anywho.  Undecided
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 12, 2008, 09:56:49 pm »

Given the responses thus far, my best guess is that either he's a prankster or he's the butt of other people's jokes.  I could easily see other people joking about a habit like that having religious significance and someone down the line not quite getting the joke and thus passing it on as gospel rather than humor.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: December 13, 2008, 12:48:08 am »

What comes to my mind, Lusiphelia, is that maybe the use of paper cups is, as Sperran says, to be scrupulous about avoiding the non-kosher, but the growing stack of them is just a personal idiosyncracy, and the bosses, finding all of it equally inexplicable and exotic, have conflated the two under "it's some religious thing".

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 13, 2008, 05:18:34 am »

Given the responses thus far, my best guess is that either he's a prankster or he's the butt of other people's jokes.  I could easily see other people joking about a habit like that having religious significance and someone down the line not quite getting the joke and thus passing it on as gospel rather than humor.

Yeah.  Which is why I wanted to find out.  Sorry if I offended?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.