The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 07, 2020, 11:39:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2020, 11:39:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Jewish tradition - stacking cups?  (Read 6143 times)
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 13, 2008, 05:19:07 am »

What comes to my mind, Lusiphelia, is that maybe the use of paper cups is, as Sperran says, to be scrupulous about avoiding the non-kosher, but the growing stack of them is just a personal idiosyncracy, and the bosses, finding all of it equally inexplicable and exotic, have conflated the two under "it's some religious thing".

Sunflower

That makes sense, and is I'm sure a possibility.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 13, 2008, 09:59:17 am »

Yeah.  Which is why I wanted to find out.  Sorry if I offended?

No offense taken from where I sit. 
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #17: December 13, 2008, 10:03:23 am »

No offense taken from where I sit. 

None from me, either.  You can't find out if you don't ask.

Sperran
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: December 13, 2008, 11:55:32 am »

The only thing that comes to mind is that sometimes very observant Jews will use paper dishes in order to keep from using dishes that haven't been koshered.

Sperran

Wait. Dishes can be unkosher? I thought it was just food. Do dishes become unkosher from having unkosher food on them?

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 13, 2008, 12:31:30 pm »

A kosher household has two sets of dishes: one for meat, one for dairy. Dairy and meat aren't served together, and aren't even kept in the same refrigerator. (And that's why most of the Jewish folks I know don't go fully kosher--they can't afford the expense of two sets of everything, let alone the space to store it all.)

I stayed with Jewish friends for a month once when I was between apartments. I had to learn I couldn't have milk with my meals. I couldn't even bring some of my foodstuffs (like oyster sauce) into their house, I had to find other storage for them. I didn't complain, it was a true learning experience for me.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #20: December 13, 2008, 02:59:50 pm »

(And that's why most of the Jewish folks I know don't go fully kosher--they can't afford the expense of two sets of everything, let alone the space to store it all.)

Almost all the Jews I know that keep kosher are vegetarian, or eat fish only (which is considered Parve) in large part because it is easier to be vegetarian than to learn all the detailed kosher laws.

Sperran
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: December 13, 2008, 04:47:48 pm »

A kosher household has two sets of dishes: one for meat, one for dairy. Dairy and meat aren't served together, and aren't even kept in the same refrigerator. (And that's why most of the Jewish folks I know don't go fully kosher--they can't afford the expense of two sets of everything, let alone the space to store it all.)

Three sets, or at least for making of food.  That allows a person to making say a milk-free bread that can be served with milch (diary) or fliesh (meat) dishes.  If it was made in a milch cooking dish, you couldn't serve the bread with the roast that night.

The use of two sinks or two refrigerators is a modern and ultra Orthodox thing.  You just have to keep things seperate within the frig and use seperate dish pans for washing of dishes.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #22: December 13, 2008, 05:28:25 pm »

Wait. Dishes can be unkosher? I thought it was just food. Do dishes become unkosher from having unkosher food on them?

Short answer...yes. 

Longer answer...While most people think of the term "kosher" as relevant to food (which it certainly is) "kosher" is generally a shorthand way of saying "correct" or "appropriate" according to law and tradition.  Food might be kosher (or not), but so can dishes, clothing, Torahs, ritual observance, etc.

Sperran
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: December 13, 2008, 10:53:36 pm »

I stayed with Jewish friends for a month once when I was between apartments. I had to learn I couldn't have milk with my meals. I couldn't even bring some of my foodstuffs (like oyster sauce) into their house, I had to find other storage for them. I didn't complain, it was a true learning experience for me.

And to top it off, many orthadox and conservative temples have two seperate kitchens -- one for meat and the other for dairy.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: December 14, 2008, 02:37:22 am »

One of the men I work with is a Haisidic (sp?) Jew.  He has a steadily growing stack of paper cups on his desk that apparently has a kind of religious significance.  I wondered if anyone on the board (Jewish or otherwise) knew what it's about.

I was going to say, after reading this all, that if he hadn't said it was religious (did he? or is someone guessing over there?) he was doing it because he had an obessive/compulsive disorder, or something similar.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: December 14, 2008, 07:14:46 am »

I was going to say, after reading this all, that if he hadn't said it was religious (did he? or is someone guessing over there?) he was doing it because he had an obessive/compulsive disorder, or something similar.

He didn't.  The boss of the man stacking the cups said it was religious.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.