The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 07:29:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 07:29:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Astronomy: Biggest, Brightest Full Moon of the Year  (Read 3055 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 12, 2008, 10:18:05 am »

Tonight (December 12) we'll get the biggest, brightest full moon of 2008 as our satellite makes its closest approach to Earth in its orbit:

http://salaswildthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/12/december-2008-full-moon-biggest.html

With any luck, we'll all have clear skies tonight

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: December 12, 2008, 03:57:50 pm »

Tonight (December 12) we'll get the biggest, brightest full moon of 2008 as our satellite makes its closest approach to Earth in its orbit:

http://salaswildthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/12/december-2008-full-moon-biggest.html

All cloudy....  Angry

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: December 12, 2008, 04:27:59 pm »

I thought the moon looked larger than usual last night.  It should be nice here again tonight.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 12, 2008, 06:41:44 pm »

I drove home tonight shortly after the moon came up over the mountains.  Just beautiful!

Mea
Master Member
Last Login:August 01, 2011, 08:07:01 pm

Religion: pagan
TCN ID: Mea

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 12, 2008, 07:14:19 pm »

I caught a glimpse of Her thru a tiny break in the clouds.  So Beautiful.  There is "something" anout a Full Moon, in all Her glory, that practically drops me to my knees.  Seriously.     With our new s**w and the ice on the trees, the effect is magnificent !

Mea.

Mother never really came home from Woodstock

* Some things must be believed, to be seen *
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: December 12, 2008, 09:46:20 pm »

It should be nice here again tonight.

Lyric and I saw it as we were out looking at lights. It's a very bright moon.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 12, 2008, 11:32:41 pm »

we have a big fat gorgeous moon here, and my husband and son saw a shooting star as well-I didn't, though Sad I am hoping it will still be up when I go to the beach for a walk in the morning.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 13, 2008, 01:09:51 pm »

I caught a glimpse of Her thru a tiny break in the clouds.  So Beautiful.

We had crystal clear skies last night, so the moon kicked ass. My boyfriend, my niece, and I were in Times Square when we first saw it, and it outshone all the glittering manmade lights, which is no small feat in that part of town. When we got home, we went to the roof for a longer look; despite the city lights, we cast clear moonshadows, and Orion--normally an obvious constellation, even in the city--was almost totally washed out by the moon's brightness.

There is "something" anout a Full Moon, in all Her glory, that practically drops me to my knees.  Seriously.

No argument from me. I could spout the science of the moon for days, yet let Her catch me off guard shining in the sky--full or gorgeous crescent--and it just hits a primal chord.

(Speaking of crescent, did anybody see the moon about 2 weeks ago, when its thin waxing crescent made a nearly perfect triangle in the western evening sky with Venus and Jupiter? I caught sight of that riding home from work on my bike, and I was so startled and riveted I nearly swerved into traffic.)

With our new s**w and the ice on the trees, the effect is magnificent !

It sounds amazing. (Any photos?) And thank you for not uttering the "s" word. (As a summer person, it makes me cringe.)

folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 13, 2008, 01:28:10 pm »

It was clear and bright and wonderful here!  And, we saw a shooting star on the way out to see her! 

My younger daughter loves "mother moon" and talks and sings to her.  She knows the phases and can tell when she's waxing or waning (at three!).  Last night, I thought she'd go crazy because the moon was so bright, but I think there was a bit too much energy.  She was very excited walking out, as we could see the brightness before we even got to the clearing.  Once we were there, though, my daughter glanced at the moon and then she clung to me and buried her head in my shoulder, and wouldn't look again.  Weird, huh?
Mea
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 13, 2008, 01:47:07 pm »

(Speaking of crescent, did anybody see the moon about 2 weeks ago, when its thin waxing crescent made a nearly perfect triangle in the western evening sky with Venus and Jupiter? I caught sight of that riding home from work on my bike, and I was so startled and riveted I nearly swerved into traffic.)

Yes.  It was one of our all too rare clear nights.    Stunning.  I did try to get a pic. of that... but too tiny and farr away.   *sigh*

It sounds amazing. (Any photos?) And thank you for not uttering the "s" word. (As a summer person, it makes me cringe.)

Sadly no photos from last night.

I rarely say or write the "s" word.   If i do actually use that word...we Get it !!    We're up on a ridge that seems to be in the path of any and all clouds bearing s**w. lol.

Mea.

Mea
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 13, 2008, 01:50:43 pm »

.  Once we were there, though, my daughter glanced at the moon and then she clung to me and buried her head in my shoulder, and wouldn't look again.  Weird, huh?

Not weird at all.   I've been overwhelmed myself at the sight.    Left speachless and teary eyed.

Mea.

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 13, 2008, 02:10:21 pm »

I was in northern Indiana and while I couldn't get a peek from the driver's seat, the shadow of the truck was very clear and distinct. Smiley

When I worked nights on the horse farms, I learned that when the Moon was clear and half-full or more, I could check fields better by turning off the lights of the truck and using Moonlight.  Once the eyes adapt, they're fine.  If I had to use the spotlight, it was 'count the dots and divide by two.'

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 13, 2008, 05:57:26 pm »

I checked it out too. We had passing clouds here, which made the sky veryvery pretty. I didn't think the moon looked any bigger than usual (maybe I wasn't looking at the right time), but it sure was BRIGHT!!! Smiley I thought, "Man, if I had to sleep outside, I don't think I would be able to!" haha.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)