The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2021, 10:08:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2021, 10:08:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: For those who follow specific pantheons ...  (Read 13022 times)
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 14, 2008, 12:20:13 pm »

ie Greek Pagans/ Hellenists, Heathens/Asatruar, Egyptian/Kemetic, etc etc. ...

Do you worship and/or honor ALL deities in your "chosen" pantheon, only specific ones you feel called to, or ?

and ...

Why? If you worship/honor all deities do you feel it is an obligation, or an important aspect of your path?  If you don't why not?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 14, 2008, 04:00:48 pm »

Do you worship and/or honor ALL deities in your "chosen" pantheon, only specific ones you feel called to, or ?

and ...

Why? If you worship/honor all deities do you feel it is an obligation, or an important aspect of your path?  If you don't why not?

The ancient Egyptians as I recall had about 3,000 deities listed and the ritual for one god took hours to do, so no. 

Also every temple, city and different state gods were different throughout history.  Every town had their own temple and worshiped their own gods. 

Today, many Kemetics as far as I know, worship only the deities they feel they have a personal call to or resonate with or a deity that has "thwapped" them. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: December 14, 2008, 04:07:23 pm »

Yes.  Or maybe no.

See, here's the thing: with a couple of thousand gods, there's no time to give personal attention to everyone, not even on one day a year.

But.

I don't have a specific calling to Bast.  At the same time, I recognise that She is a protector of households (not just households with cats in them!), and thus when I wish to petition a deity to protect my home and family, I go to Her.  (In practice, I go to Her and Brighid, because my Celt isn't allowed to play with the Netjeru unsupervised.)

When I needed to survive a situation that felt like being ripped to pieces, I went to Wesir, who I have less personal connection with than Bast (by which I mean "none at all that I've been able to perceive").

When I pour water for the gods, unless I am specifically doing ritual to reach to a specific deity or set of them, I pour it for all the gods.

RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 14, 2008, 04:33:46 pm »

and ...

I honor all of Them in the sense that when I make sacrifices, I am making them to all the deities. When I participate in a particular ritual, such as Imbolc, I am honoring a particular deity, in this case, Brighid. However, when I speak of honoring my deities, I mean the Ones who called to me: Cernunnos and Rhiannon (and yes, I realize that He is Gaulish and She is Welsh. But when you are called by a particular God/dess you just don't say no. Or I don't, anyway).  If there is a particular situation/problem that I need help with, I will petition a particular deity for help. Sometimes if the situation is a dire one, I will just call out to the God/desses in general, to Whomever can help me.

Rigantona, Great Queen
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: December 14, 2008, 05:27:31 pm »

Yes, all of the Hellenic deities deserve and get worship. However, I favor those who I am called to or whose aid I need at the moment.

Ignoring Hellenic deities in favor of one or two is not a good idea. The other deities can feel slighted and get testy.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 14, 2008, 06:05:16 pm »

and ...

I honor Them all, though there are some I honor more often than others. Eos, Helios, Hestia, and Hermes receive sacrifices from me on most days.

Another deity, whose holy day or festival day it may be, or whom I feel particularly grateful to, will also receive due sacrifice when I honor the aforementioned four deities.

All the Deathless Ones must exist, in my religious worldview, in order for the Universe to exist as we know it. Therefore, I believe that They are all more than worthy of my devotion.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 14, 2008, 06:48:37 pm »

I don't have a specific calling to Bast.  At the same time, I recognise that She is a protector of households (not just households with cats in them!), and thus when I wish to petition a deity to protect my home and family, I go to Her.  (In practice, I go to Her and Brighid, because my Celt isn't allowed to play with the Netjeru unsupervised.)

When I needed to survive a situation that felt like being ripped to pieces, I went to Wesir, who I have less personal connection with than Bast (by which I mean "none at all that I've been able to perceive").

Interesting.  So, because of your ..."attachment"... to the pantheon, for lack of a better term, you're more comfortable approaching deities you may otherwise feel no specific connection with when faced with situations/areas of influence they understand?
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 14, 2008, 06:49:09 pm »

Ignoring Hellenic deities in favor of one or two is not a good idea. The other deities can feel slighted and get testy.

Is that UPG, or otherwise?
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 14, 2008, 06:50:07 pm »

All the Deathless Ones must exist, in my religious worldview, in order for the Universe to exist as we know it. Therefore, I believe that They are all more than worthy of my devotion.

Now, do you feel the same way (that they must exist) w/r/t deities of other pantheons?

Where do you draw the line and why?
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 14, 2008, 07:14:53 pm »

and ...

You know, I think honoring everyone is something I need to do more of, for sure. I always complain about not having the time to worship as I would want, so therefore Odin tends to take up all my thought.

Why do I feel that's necessary? Good question... I think it's important to get the "full experience"? Like... you might have a favorite Power Ranger to play with, but you really need the full set to put that Ranger in context and to complement that one. (Yes, I was a 90's child!) I mean... why would you only have one Power Ranger? lol. Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: December 14, 2008, 07:17:11 pm »

Is that UPG, or otherwise?

Otherwise; the historic literature is full of gods who get pissed off when ignored. My favorite example is Euripides' Hippolytus.

Sasha
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 14, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

You know, I think honoring everyone is something I need to do more of, for sure. I always complain about not having the time to worship as I would want, so therefore Odin tends to take up all my thought.

Why do I feel that's necessary? Good question... I think it's important to get the "full experience"? Like... you might have a favorite Power Ranger to play with, but you really need the full set to put that Ranger in context and to complement that one. (Yes, I was a 90's child!) I mean... why would you only have one Power Ranger? lol. Smiley

lmao I can relate to that...although with all the She-Ra girls rather than Power Rangers.  Cheesy

So you feel you get a richer religious/spiritual experience by honoring the whole pantheon?  I guess that should be obvious, definitely makes sense...
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 14, 2008, 07:21:17 pm »

Otherwise; the historic literature is full of gods who get pissed off when ignored. My favorite example is Euripides' Hippolytus.

Sasha

Thanks for the ref, will look into it.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 14, 2008, 07:30:02 pm »

lmao I can relate to that...although with all the She-Ra girls rather than Power Rangers.  Cheesy
Glad my silly analogy makes sense!

So you feel you get a richer religious/spiritual experience by honoring the whole pantheon?  I guess that should be obvious, definitely makes sense...
Yes, I do think that. I guess I don't really know why you would exclusively worship only one or two deities when they're part of a pantheon. By honoring gods in a pantheon at all I think that says you are polytheistic in the first place, so why practice monotheistically.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 14, 2008, 07:39:08 pm »

Yes, I do think that. I guess I don't really know why you would exclusively worship only one or two deities when they're part of a pantheon. By honoring gods in a pantheon at all I think that says you are polytheistic in the first place, so why practice monotheistically.

I don't know, I'm still sort of "feeling things out" in various areas.  If you are called by a deity/deities, you would specifically honor them.  See, to me polytheism vs. monotheism is more about the belief than the practice.  IE, I believe they all exist, I just worship Q, X, and T, and sometimes F. Or I only worship J but believe in G-M. And so-forth.

Also, what if you are called by deities from different pantheons?  And here I will begin to derail my own thread, haha! But I guess then you wouldn't be following a specific pantheon.  ... idk, just thinking out loud here.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)