The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 05, 2021, 03:56:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 05, 2021, 03:56:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: For those who follow specific pantheons ...  (Read 12606 times)
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm
United States United States

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 14, 2008, 07:53:27 pm »

I don't know, I'm still sort of "feeling things out" in various areas.  If you are called by a deity/deities, you would specifically honor them.  See, to me polytheism vs. monotheism is more about the belief than the practice.  IE, I believe they all exist, I just worship Q, X, and T, and sometimes F. Or I only worship J but believe in G-M. And so-forth.

Also, what if you are called by deities from different pantheons?  And here I will begin to derail my own thread, haha! But I guess then you wouldn't be following a specific pantheon.  ... idk, just thinking out loud here.

See, that's what I do myself. I follow the Celtic pantheon, where I do believe in all the deities, yet I limit my main honoring to a couple of Them, the Ones who called upon me in the beginning. To me, that is still polytheism and not monotheism/duotheism. And in a sense, I guess you could say that I technically I follow two separate pantheons, Gaulish and Welsh. Though I KNOW it was Rhiannon who called to me and not Epona. But like I said before, when a deity calls to me, I don't tell Him/Her "no, thanks." And so far it has worked out well with me to honor both Cernunnos and Rhiannon. And I know of other Celtic Recons who honor deities from Ireland, Wales, Gauls, etc., and not just deities from just Ireland, for example.

Rigantona, Great Queen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 14, 2008, 08:04:07 pm »

See, that's what I do myself. I follow the Celtic pantheon, where I do believe in all the deities, yet I limit my main honoring to a couple of Them, the Ones who called upon me in the beginning. To me, that is still polytheism and not monotheism/duotheism. And in a sense, I guess you could say that I technically I follow two separate pantheons, Gaulish and Welsh. Though I KNOW it was Rhiannon who called to me and not Epona. But like I said before, when a deity calls to me, I don't tell Him/Her "no, thanks." And so far it has worked out well with me to honor both Cernunnos and Rhiannon. And I know of other Celtic Recons who honor deities from Ireland, Wales, Gauls, etc., and not just deities from just Ireland, for example.

Yeah, that's something I've seemed to notice w/r/t to Celtic Recons and other types.  They seem to work with multiple pantheons, hence I guess the term Celtic rather than Irish, Welsh, etc.

So do you exclusively honor Cernunnos and Rhiannon, or are there other deities from those pantheons as well?
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 14, 2008, 08:05:53 pm »

I don't know, I'm still sort of "feeling things out" in various areas.  If you are called by a deity/deities, you would specifically honor them.  See, to me polytheism vs. monotheism is more about the belief than the practice.  IE, I believe they all exist, I just worship Q, X, and T, and sometimes F. Or I only worship J but believe in G-M. And so-forth.
Oh, I wasn't talk to you specifically, just thinking out loud myself! If that's how you want to do it, I think that's you're own prerogative. I personally think it's important to at least acknowledge the other deities in the pantheon, but perhaps that's just my mindset from the Asatru bit. If one was super eclectic or what, and the one or two deities you are worshiping don't mind being singled out from the pantheon, then whatever floats your boat, imo!

Also, what if you are called by deities from different pantheons?  And here I will begin to derail my own thread, haha! But I guess then you wouldn't be following a specific pantheon.  ... idk, just thinking out loud here.
Again, whatever works. I haven't been "called," I would say, by any god(s) in particular, but I certainly wouldn't say no just because they weren't Norse.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #18: December 14, 2008, 08:21:45 pm »

Oh, I wasn't talk to you specifically, just thinking out loud myself! If that's how you want to do it, I think that's you're own prerogative. I personally think it's important to at least acknowledge the other deities in the pantheon, but perhaps that's just my mindset from the Asatru bit. If one was super eclectic or what, and the one or two deities you are worshiping don't mind being singled out from the pantheon, then whatever floats your boat, imo!
Again, whatever works. I haven't been "called," I would say, by any god(s) in particular, but I certainly wouldn't say no just because they weren't Norse.

Interesting.  How did you come to the Norse pantheon, if not by a particular god, if I may be nosey enough to know? (Well, I AM nosey enough to ask, I guess if you're gracious enough to share, really Wink )
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 14, 2008, 08:52:04 pm »

Interesting.  How did you come to the Norse pantheon, if not by a particular god, if I may be nosey enough to know? (Well, I AM nosey enough to ask, I guess if you're gracious enough to share, really Wink )
I guess simply put, I feel a great affinity for the Northern/Scandinavian landscape, as well as the culture in general. Once I started exploring it more, that was when I felt a stronger connection to Odin than to the others. I also felt a connection to the Vanir, specifically Frey, but that has gone to the wayside a bit. Sad I tried to honor Odin and Frey at the same time, and Frey seemed a bit aloof (UPG!). I don't know if it's because I was trying to do both at once or something else, but I haven't sought him out since. I know lack of time is an awful excuse, but there it is again. ha.

If I was waiting to be "called" by a certain god, I wouldn't be doing anything!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: December 14, 2008, 09:19:03 pm »

ie Greek Pagans/ Hellenists, Heathens/Asatruar, Egyptian/Kemetic, etc etc. ...

Do you worship and/or honor ALL deities in your "chosen" pantheon, only specific ones you feel called to, or ?

and ...

Why? If you worship/honor all deities do you feel it is an obligation, or an important aspect of your path?  If you don't why not?

As my fellow Hellenics have pointed out, the Greek Gods don't like it when one is worshipped and others are neglected.  I tend to focus more on the main ones and those that I think made contact with me.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: December 14, 2008, 09:49:15 pm »

Do you worship and/or honor ALL deities in your "chosen" pantheon, only specific ones you feel called to, or ?

No.  I didn't choose a pantheon.  Instead, I felt called by a specific goddess, Brighid.

Why? If you worship/honor all deities do you feel it is an obligation, or an important aspect of your path?  If you don't why not?

I've talked about this in other threads (http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=7533.0), so I won't go into detail here.  Long story short, my experience was that Brighid called me and then made it clear that I am not to "reach out to" (which I interpret to include "worship") other god/desses.  I don't know why.

If Brighid had not placed that restriction on me, I think I would at least acknowledge the other members of the Irish pantheon.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: December 14, 2008, 10:11:55 pm »

Is that UPG, or otherwise?

As Sasha says, otherwise. There are a number of cases in myth of deities objecting strongly to being ignored.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: December 15, 2008, 02:19:29 am »

Interesting.  So, because of your ..."attachment"... to the pantheon, for lack of a better term, you're more comfortable approaching deities you may otherwise feel no specific connection with when faced with situations/areas of influence they understand?

Well, yes.

Look at it this way:  a pantheon is a family.  (My sis and I have a running joke about pantheons as Mob families, actually.)  Worshipping a particular pantheon is binding oneself to that family as some kind of hanger-on or maybe, in some circumstances, a junior member.

It's not like approaching a stranger, it's like going, "Hey, cousin Bob, remember me?  I hang with Dorothy and Frank over yonder, I know you're the best one in the family for dealing with this sort of thing."

And sometimes cousin Bob wants a return favor, or maybe he's tight enough with Dorothy and Frank to do it because I'm their kid and he knows that they'll look after his kids if they come begging for help, but in any case, it's a family thing, and one gets the family rates.  One may want to be careful about certain things -- if you want to talk to Aunt Betty, who had a falling-out with Dorothy and Frank a while back, it's best to bring some of her favorite doodads right up front.  "Hey Aunt Betty, I brought you some of your favorite spice cookies ... I've got a problem I'd love to talk with you about over a game of gin, I know you hardly ever get to play these days...."

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: December 15, 2008, 02:22:26 am »

And it's nice to send Great-Auncle Pat a card on their birthday even if you never visit because the house smells of smoke and cat pee.  Because family comes with broader obligations too.  It may not be the sort of thing one would do for the close folks on their special days, but one has to show willing.

RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: December 15, 2008, 03:16:59 am »

Yeah, that's something I've seemed to notice w/r/t to Celtic Recons and other types.  They seem to work with multiple pantheons, hence I guess the term Celtic rather than Irish, Welsh, etc.

So do you exclusively honor Cernunnos and Rhiannon, or are there other deities from those pantheons as well?

Cernunnos and Rhiannon are the ones that I specifically honor, because they were the ones who called me. But I also honor Brighid, as she is the Goddess of poetry. I'm a writer, so I call upon her to help with my creativity, especially when I'm having writer's block.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Midnightrider
Journeyman
Last Login:January 21, 2009, 06:36:21 am
France France

Religion: Earth pagan (Old Religion)

At the Midnight Hour

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 15, 2008, 11:56:30 am »

and ...

I felt called upon by the goddesses Sechat and Isis, Bastet, and the gods Thoth, Anubis, Ptah and Amon during a visit to Egypt many years ago (31 exactly in January 09). I felt so much at home in the ancient surroundings, temples and tombs. The temple built by Hatshepsut was absolutely impressive. Just looking at the magnificent wall paintings and statues, the pillars and pylons decorated with reliefs, some very impressive was an extraordianry experience, on this and some of the tombs, too. Tut's tomb was very small and closed in. Seti I's was high in the wall of the cliff; to get there we had to climb thin stairs. It was impossible not to sense the presence of the diety, andthat in spite of the crowds of humanity. The highlight of the trip was a visit to the Great Pyramid at dawn, where our group was allowed to create our own initiation in the King's Chamber. There was no other group except our own at that time. With the clamp down on security and overcrowding, everything is probably changed today. I'm in the process of looking for the old photo slides I took during this trip, and ask friends if they still have their photos. 

These deities are my family; I see them every day as I have the figuines on my altar and light candles and incense every full and new moon. I try to perform my own ceremonies according to the season and calendar whenever I can, but I'm looking for real ceremonies practiced during ancient times. They are important part of my path because I feel a close affinity with ancient Egyptian spirituality and magick and am interested in knowing how it affects everyday life.

"Let your love be like the misty rain, coming softly but flooding the river."
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 15, 2008, 03:34:06 pm »

and ...

I do honor all the deities in the Germanic Pantheon.  To not do so I believe is disrespectful and would dishonor me to them.  However, at any given the time of year it is prudent to honor one or more above the others.  While I do honor them all, Odin, Freya, Frigg, and Thor as well as the god/goddess that is of the season or the particular day will be honored above the rest in my ritual. 

Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #28: December 15, 2008, 05:10:56 pm »

As Sasha says, otherwise. There are a number of cases in myth of deities objecting strongly to being ignored.

Does the same hold true in cases of the Mystery Cults?
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: December 15, 2008, 09:54:32 pm »

Does the same hold true in cases of the Mystery Cults?

Mystery cults were an addition to "regular" worship. One did not need to belong to a mystery cult, but if one did, one usually worshipped the rest of the pantheon as well. (This is an oversimplification and generalization though, that does not take into account the diversity of worshippers of certain mystery cults, including those who were not Hellenes, and also the fact that different cults were popular at different times and the religious norms of those periods would obviously be different as well.)

Sasha

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)