The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2021, 09:59:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2021, 09:59:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: For those who follow specific pantheons ...  (Read 13021 times)
katkat42
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2010, 02:56:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Asatru

Hee!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: December 16, 2008, 01:07:57 pm »

Do you worship and/or honor ALL deities in your "chosen" pantheon, only specific ones you feel called to, or ?

I respect all the Aesir and Vanir. I don't generally make offerings to all of them, except rarely, and then in a group all together (well, okay, two groups: "Hail the Aesir!" and "Hail the Vanir!"). 

My main practice involves raising a glass nine times, hailing a different spirit each time, taking a drink, then pouring a little on the ground for the spirit.  The spirits I honor are Frigga, Thor, Odin, Heimdall, Tyr, Frey, Freyja, the spirits of the land where I am, and the spirits of my ancestors/family guardians.  These spirits I feel are the most relevant to my life and the way I want to live my life. 

I will also offer to others at the appropriate times of the year, such as raising a glass to Skadi at the first heavy snowfall.

(N.B.: I use the word "spirit" to mean any supernatural/non-physical being, greater or lesser. Thus, I mean no offense by calling the Gods "spirits", because, well, that's what they are!)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: December 17, 2008, 02:54:03 am »

As my fellow Hellenics have pointed out, the Greek Gods don't like it when one is worshipped and others are neglected.  I tend to focus more on the main ones and those that I think made contact with me.

Hmmm...so am I the only person here who identifies as Hellenic (though not necessarily recon), but does not feel the need to honor the entire pantheon, or at least all the majors?

To clarifiy- my ritual style is reconstructionist, my beliefs are a mix of historically-based with a heavy hand of UPG. (But even my UPG isn't generally out of line with ancient writings). I'm not quite henotheistic to Apollo, but nearly so at times (I'm trying to get away from that at least a little bit because there are other deities there that interest me and/or who want a bit of my attention, though we're talking about some Titans, protogenoi and very minor celestial daimones here. I've also been given the "Won't be seeing you around anymore, good-bye" by a goddess- this, mind you, is not one that I have no interest in, but one in which I have had great interest and she told me, not quite in so many words but essentially to take a hike. (This was Artemis, who has at least five different stories of people inciting her wrath for not worshipping her.)

I know at least one other person, particularly devoted to one of the Olympians, who has pretty much been told to take a hike by both Artemis and Apollo (both deities that she was interested in worshiping) though in rather different manners.

So I'm curious, to those of you who do feel that it's necessary to honor all of the Olympians at least...do any of you have a very strong, intense devotion to a particular god in the pantheon? Or how much does UPG factor into your practice and beliefs? I'm wondering if there's some sort of connection  in the different lines of thinking. (If this is more appropriate to the Hellenic SIG, let me know, I have no problem with starting up over there.)

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: December 17, 2008, 03:22:27 am »

Hmmm...so am I the only person here who identifies as Hellenic (though not necessarily recon), but does not feel the need to honor the entire pantheon, or at least all the majors?

Well, I'm primarily devoted to Hermes, and am exploring relationships with Hekate, Aphrodite and Athena.  The vast, vast majority of my prayers, offerings, etc., are for them.  I don't really do extensive rituals, etc., for other gods, unless there's some specific need.  However, if I'm making an offering to one of them, I usually make another simple offering/libation/etc. soon after, saying something like "to all the gods" -- for politeness's sake.  As devoted as I am to these specific gods, there may come a time when I need to ask another one for help, and so I'd like to stay on the good side of the family as a whole. 

It's like, if I want to go a potluck, I bring enough food so that everyone, not just the people I know, can have some.  For the special few, I'll bring something else and give it to them privately. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:25:04 am by catja6, Reason: clarifying » Logged
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: December 17, 2008, 04:01:02 am »

It's like, if I want to go a potluck, I bring enough food so that everyone, not just the people I know, can have some.  For the special few, I'll bring something else and give it to them privately.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people do this...I was just curious if there was a trend between heavy devotion to a specific deity and less general worship of the pantheon as a whole. (Sorry if I wasn't clear on that)

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #34: December 17, 2008, 07:47:47 am »

So I'm curious, to those of you who do feel that it's necessary to honor all of the Olympians at least...do any of you have a very strong, intense devotion to a particular god in the pantheon?

I'm specifically called by Apollo, and most of my day-to-day stuff does involve Him specifically and individually because of that.  I'll also recognize other specific deities individually as circumstances warrant--Hermes after surviving a long and/or particularly difficult journey, Artemis after the birth of my daughter, etc., etc.  I don't try to honor all deities, or even all of the Olympians, individually all the time.  I do, however, feel it's important to recognize that there are Others out there, and to express that recognition--Catja addressed this point better than I would, I suspect.  I don't feel the need to build strong personal relationships with Them; I do feel the need to give a nod of recognition to them sometimes.

So--both.  I have a heavy devotion to a specific deity, but also believe general worship of the pantheon as a whole is important.  "Worship" there is less...  intensive?... than for the specific deity I'm devoted to--but it's there nonetheless.

Or how much does UPG factor into your practice and beliefs?

I've not managed to do as much actual reading/research as I'd like during the few years I've been on this path  Embarrassed so a lot of my religious stuff is definitely UPG right now, though also informed to the extent possible by research.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: December 17, 2008, 09:50:34 pm »

Now, do you feel the same way (that they must exist) w/r/t deities of other pantheons?

Where do you draw the line and why?

I subscribe to a syncretic religious worldview, in which the Goddesses and Gods I honor may be similarly revered in many lands and called by many names.

It's impossible for us mortals to truly grasp the precise nature of the Divine, so I would not dare to say, "X deity who received sacrifices from the ancient Greeks equals Y deity of the Germanic tribes." The truth is, I don't know that and neither does anyone else.

Do I personally think it's likely? Yes. Is that a commonly held viewpoint amongst Hellenic polytheists? I couldn't begin to answer that question. Others may not have the same issues with acknowledging a thousand different lunar or solar deities, or wondering where the boundary line which delineates the territory of 'Roman' weather gods (as opposed to that of the 'Germanic' weather gods) actually lies.

It's enough for me to honor the Deathless Ones, and leave the rest as unknowable.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #36: December 17, 2008, 10:42:47 pm »

My experience, at least on this forum, is generally that of hard polytheism, but I'm not sure if that's typical or not of Hellenists, either.

It's enough for me to honor the Deathless Ones, and leave the rest as unknowable.

Up until the past month or so I felt opposite, but recently leaving some things to remain "unknowable" seems both practical, and simplifying (in a good way).
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: December 18, 2008, 09:56:13 pm »

* snip *

So I'm curious, to those of you who do feel that it's necessary to honor all of the Olympians at least...do any of you have a very strong, intense devotion to a particular god in the pantheon? Or how much does UPG factor into your practice and beliefs? I'm wondering if there's some sort of connection  in the different lines of thinking. (If this is more appropriate to the Hellenic SIG, let me know, I have no problem with starting up over there.)

I'm very devoted to Hermes, but I also have separate shrines to honor Hera and Artemis. This is in addition to a general-purpose shrine used to offer sacrifices to Hestia, Eos, Helios, and at least one other deity depending on holy days and festival days. I feel as close as I can be to Hermes when I go running, or when people interrupt my jogging to ask for directions. The open road belongs to Him (but the three-way intersections are Hekate's, of course).

I love to go hiking in the swamp. I always bring trash bags, to pick up after the swine who enjoy the great outdoors but can't be bothered to pick up after themselves. The fishing lures and spent shell casings left by sportsmen, I set aside to offer in sacrifice to Artemis. I am always stumbling upon little treasures (including old jewelry) uncovered from the mud by the spring rains, and these I leave at Her shrine.

The Goddess of the swamp has given us so much. I praise and honor Her.

I am also very devoted to Hera.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)