The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 17, 2021, 10:10:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2021, 10:10:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Psychic  (Read 13482 times)
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 25, 2008, 05:59:59 pm »

I was wondering what you guys think of the possibilities of actual psychic's?  their have been for a long while now things that happen that make me wonder if I posses in a small way such abilities... random thoughts that go into my head which like 5 seconds later become the discussion, because someone suddenly mentions it.... its happened for a long time... I was wondering what you guys think of this stuff?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: December 25, 2008, 08:13:49 pm »

I was wondering what you guys think of the possibilities of actual psychic's?  their have been for a long while now things that happen that make me wonder if I posses in a small way such abilities... random thoughts that go into my head which like 5 seconds later become the discussion, because someone suddenly mentions it.... its happened for a long time... I was wondering what you guys think of this stuff?

I'm generally sort of skeptical.  I tend to think that most things that get attributed to psychic abilities can probably be explained in some much more mundane way.

As for your particular situation:  I think humans have a great ability to find patterns in white noise, and sometimes that makes certain events seem more significant than they are.  In other words:  I'm betting that you also have a lot of random thoughts that don't wind up becoming the discussion when someone else mentions them, too.  Because you're looking for a pattern, though, you don't notice or remember those.  This makes the random thoughts that do become the topic of discussion seem more prevalent, because it feels like a significant portion of your random thoughts pan out this way, when in fact probably most of them go nowhere.  When you look at it like that, it becomes a lot more likely that the ones that do become the topic of discussion are probably just coincidence.

I also freely admit, though, that I don't know for certain one way or another.  I'm skeptical; I'm not willing to completely rule out the possibility that psychic abilities do exist.  I think it's improbable, but not impossible, if that makes sense.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: December 26, 2008, 06:37:14 am »

What Star said.  Researchers have been trying to test for psychic ablity for decades. They haven't been successful in finding any.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 26, 2008, 12:37:30 pm »

I am skeptical, but open to the possibility. My concept of free will makes it difficult for me to believe that people can actually forsee the future, but that's a whole different discussion. But I think that in rare cases, it could very well be possible that someone can have insight about the past or present that they couldn't know through mundane means. But note that I said rare cases.

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 26, 2008, 01:44:11 pm »

I happen to think there is such a thing as psychic ability, mainly because it happens to me. Usually it is just little mundane things like when I hear the phone ring and just know who it is and often what they are calling about as well. 

I recently got a letter from a relative who ususally only writes to remind me of the wonders of Jesus (she doesn't know I'm pagan) but holding that letter in my hand I knew she was writing to tell me she was getting married. I didn't even know she was seeing anyone. Skeptics will ask how often things like that happen but I am wrong about who is on the phone or what is in a letter, and I have to answer never. (That is when they roll their eyes and think I am not being honest)

I don't know how to explain it but there is a difference between thinking Oh, that might be uncle Jim on the phone, and the knowing Wow, Uncle Jim is calling to tell me Aunt Sara died.

It is these abilities that help keep my faith rooted in Paganism. It never fails, but every time I start reverting to atheism something I can't rationally explain happens to me and I come back to my beliefs.

I explain psychic abilities as a connection to the divine, whether you see the divine as God, the universe, or something else. I see it as that universal spirit of life and creation that flows though everything and when you have a strong connection you get information though knowing, not just through the traditional five senses.

It is understandable that people who have never experienced psychic connections say it doesn't happen or it's all due to overactive imaginations. But just because some people can't carry a tune doesn't mean all the world can't sing.  It's just a matter of where your talents are. Wink
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: December 26, 2008, 02:37:09 pm »

It is understandable that people who have never experienced psychic connections say it doesn't happen or it's all due to overactive imaginations. But just because some people can't carry a tune doesn't mean all the world can't sing.  It's just a matter of where your talents are. Wink

I can't sing well.  I can sing - it's just bad.  Further, I have heard people sing well.  So psychic abilities really aren't like singing.  If they were:
I wouldn't be able to use any kind of rhythm, changes in tone, etc.  Nor would anyone that I had ever met.  There would be no recordings of people singing.  People would claim to sing, but fail to actually demonstrate this ability in front of audiences who weren't already convinced or open to being convinced, or indeed be able to demonstrate this singing ability in front of researchers, even the ones who really want to prove it to the world.

But I'm willing to compromise.  I'll say you're psychic if you say I'm a cyborg from the future with a laser cannon implanted in my chest.  Oh yeah, and metal detectors totally can't spot me.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: December 26, 2008, 02:44:55 pm »

What Star and Everfool said.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 26, 2008, 03:50:18 pm »

But I'm willing to compromise.  I'll say you're psychic if you say I'm a cyborg from the future with a laser cannon implanted in my chest.  Oh yeah, and metal detectors totally can't spot me.

I will, but only if you believe that is what you are. And I don't think you do. So it isn't really the same is it?

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 26, 2008, 03:56:45 pm »

I just wanted to apologize to all the atheists and others with opposing views on psychic abilities who may have got the wrong idea from my post.

Looking back I realized I ended with the winking emocon, which I think made me appear smug or condescending to those with opposing views. That wasn't my intention. I meant to end with the smiley face as a you're-okay-if-I'm-okay kind of a response for those who have experienced psychic phenomenon and felt like they were a bit loony for having views outside the norm. 

Funny how a slip of an emo can change the whole message.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: December 26, 2008, 04:17:07 pm »

I will, but only if you believe that is what you are. And I don't think you do. So it isn't really the same is it?

True enough.  Well, I did meet someone who sincerely believed I had super powers.  How about that?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: December 26, 2008, 04:31:01 pm »

Although to look at it a different way, why is your belief that you are psychic the thing that makes the difference?  From what you were saying earlier, it looks like you think that the psychic stuff is independent of your belief.

Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 26, 2008, 08:18:25 pm »

I'm not big on the label Psychic's, though it is my belief that we all have psychic abilities more or less. Some born with 3rd eye open as they say, or half open. Others through study and work, awaken what is there.

When I say we all have the ability, I mean in many ways we use abilities that I would say fall into the category of psychic. The power doesn't come from the cards of a reader, it comes from the reader. Those that dream of future events and such have tapped into their psychic ability. Whether a knowing of something, seeing of something... that gut feeling that something bad is about to happen or even knowing what will be talked about or happen a few minutes ahead of time.

So many abilities I've seen that I would catholicize as psychic so to speak. Although I know a lot of Remote Viewers that would hiss at you, and explain the scientific views and theories... yitter about the governments huge spending in the area, and of the past "Stargate". Not to mention Military and Police using these skills/abilities in people.

It is a difficult thing to open ones closet door. To announce that one is psychic.. or as I would call it... an ability to foresee things. It makes many people uncomfortable for many reasons and they will lash out. *I'm telling you this INsearch because it will happen* If your ability is pronounced you may find yourself hiding it from those around you. On the internet... others will think you ego is swollen or you think your all powerful and think badly of you for it. *I'm talking in general and not necessarily this board*

Do I believe ppl have psychic ability? Yes, yes I do. As I am one to have sight and I'm not to shabby in double blind Remote Viewing targets.
I also see what lays in the shadows/ghosts/spirits, and in my mind know what their appearance is. Can feel them too. I have projected to where a friend or family member is, real time and space a number of times. *though some happened spontaneous when doing dishes, they still count.*

I think I'd squint my eyes at you in defiance if you called me a psychic, but I would say that I have abilities that fall under said label.

Energy Follows Attention
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 27, 2008, 04:17:01 am »

I honestly think everyone is/can be a psychic.  Some people choose to develop their psychic abilities while some do not.  Also, some people seem to be able to use psychic abilities more naturally than others, but I believe anyone with work, can develop a better psychic sense. 
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 27, 2008, 11:43:20 am »

I'm not big on the label Psychic's, though it is my belief that we all have psychic abilities more or less. Some born with 3rd eye open as they say, or half open. Others through study and work, awaken what is there.

Yep. That is how I see it. There have been many discussions here on TC about that. I think it is something everyone is capable of, it doesn't make anyone "special" or more unique just because they happen to be more in tune with that ability.

And as you say it sometimes takes courage to come out and own up to these abilities. Fortunately I never give a rats backside about what others think of me.  Grin    Plus that is one of the reasons I have hung around TC for so long, all the open minds and people who aren't afraid to say they experienced a phenomenon outside the norm.  When I first joined TC I was astounded to discover that things I had experienced all my life were commonly experienced by others as well and that so many members were not the least bit afraid to come out and say so! It was that wonderful feeling of "wow, I am not alone in this". That's why I stay here. Smiley
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 27, 2008, 12:13:21 pm »

Well, I did meet someone who sincerely believed I had super powers.  How about that?

Nudge nudge, say no more. Wink

(sorry I couldn't resist)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)