The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 17, 2021, 11:05:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2021, 11:05:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Psychic  (Read 13483 times)
Midnightrider
Journeyman
Last Login:January 21, 2009, 06:36:21 am
France France

Religion: Earth pagan (Old Religion)

At the Midnight Hour

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 29, 2008, 11:47:43 am »

I believe that there are people who do have psychic abilities, but they are not innate, they are developed. They can also develop as an intuitive aid in the case of a sensorial handicap or disability. I myself have "warning bells" which my hearing disability couldn't have detected, and have "flashes," of future happenings, calls or of a friend's faces, learning later on that he/she had passed on.   

I personally knew a few psychics and trusted them completely; they always told the truth: if this was going to happen, it did. I found them genuinely fascinating persons, but thought they felt intrinsically burdened, because they were always followed around by a crowd, like groupies. They never got paid or asked for any money. Quite a few psychics are honest but I believe that a greater proportion just tell you what you want to hear, and do make mistakes, or misunderstand certain details. One time when I was expecting my first child my husband went to a psyhic to ask about work conditions. At the same time he gave the person a photo of me. The psychic told my husband everything that was correct about me. He went on to say I was expecting a boy. When my daughter was born, I was told by another psychic, a very close friend, that my daughter in reality had a very "masculine" soul. This is apparently what the first psychic saw. She turned out to be a real tomboy and the least feminine of my three daughters.

"Let your love be like the misty rain, coming softly but flooding the river."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 29, 2008, 12:19:53 pm »

I believe that there are people who do have psychic abilities, but they are not innate, they are developed. They can also develop as an intuitive aid in the case of a sensorial handicap or disability. I myself have "warning bells" which my hearing disability couldn't have detected, and have "flashes," of future happenings, calls or of a friend's faces, learning later on that he/she had passed on.   

One of my first "death notices" was along those lines. I was at school and all day I had the worst feeling in the pit of my stomach. A thought kept running through my mind that some one I loved was leaving me. About half-way home that day I  knew that my dog had died. I got home and he was indeed dead. (He had passed peacefully in his little dog bed)

Although I do not have sensory disabilities, I do have some sensory mis-adjustments including aeropsia, synesthesia, and tinnitus. Maybe that helps? I don't know.

Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 31, 2008, 11:58:01 am »

I was wondering what you guys think of the possibilities of actual psychic's?  ... I was wondering what you guys think of this stuff?

I THINK that 99.99% of these so-called "psychic abilities" are based in the complete misunderstanding of the human mind.

Intuition is a seeming ability that most creatures SEEMS to have and alerts them to possible dangerous situations. Most of the time I THINK that when one claims to have experienced some for of supposed clairvoyance or premonition, it is simply slightly heightened intuition.

If such abilities are real then I THINK that it should be readily distinguishable from regular mental activities. I THINK the same should apply to "magic" as well but that is another issue.

If one can, for example, throw spheres of concentrated energy then I think that it should be readily observed without the blinders of belief or wishful/magical thinking.
Like Everfool said, so far no one has proven that any of it is real and relying on personal experience and the "I said so" mentality cannot be used as substantiated proof.

What is considered "real" in ones mind is not and should not be synonymous with what is actually real and verifiable in the real world.

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #18: December 31, 2008, 01:56:06 pm »

Intuition is a seeming ability that most creatures SEEMS to have and alerts them to possible dangerous situations. Most of the time I THINK that when one claims to have experienced some for of supposed clairvoyance or premonition, it is simply slightly heightened intuition.

That said, a sense of heightened intuition is, strangely enough, often "explained away" as psychic ability, because people are, strangely, more willing to accept a claim of psychic powers than they are a claim of excellent intuition, and hey, if it ends up helping them, let them fool themselves.  For some reason, people tend to be more willing to write off intuition than a "psychic warning."  At least around here.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 31, 2008, 02:13:25 pm »

I think it was EverFool who mentioned that such things have been studied for decades and thus so far no concrete proof exists to validate nor neccessarily deny its existence.

It is like "magic", if it exists then it should first off be readily recognized and readily distinguished from all other functionsof the mundane world. I one time seen a video of some Tibetian monks who, at that time, claimed they could levitate and were bouncing up and down on their rears in a circle...even at that time I could see that was not levitation, it was just bouncing. Real levitation, as I see it, is leviating and remaining levitated for more than a second.

Same with any other "ability" it should be observed by anyone...I don't know...our society seems to be built and powered by hoaxes, frauds, lies and deceptions..I just get tired of being deceived. I am even being more doubtful of so-called channellers like Jane Roberts or Earnest Norman..I won't waste my time with JZ Knight..I could see she was a fake from day one..just like Sylvia Browne too.

Sorry..I am rambling....so much on my mind.

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 01, 2009, 11:06:37 am »

That said, a sense of heightened intuition is, strangely enough, often "explained away" as psychic ability, because people are, strangely, more willing to accept a claim of psychic powers than they are a claim of excellent intuition, and hey, if it ends up helping them, let them fool themselves.  For some reason, people tend to be more willing to write off intuition than a "psychic warning."  At least around here.

Coming back in to take the pro side of the debate.

I would like to know how those on the con side define intuition?  Basically what is the difference between intuition and a psychic connection?  I didn't know there was one. Aren't the two terms synonymous? It might be helpful if you could give an example of intuition or elaborate on what would constitute an instance of intuiton.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #21: January 01, 2009, 11:21:41 am »

I would like to know how those on the con side define intuition?  Basically what is the difference between intuition and a psychic connection?  I didn't know there was one. Aren't the two terms synonymous? It might be helpful if you could give an example of intuition or elaborate on what would constitute an instance of intuiton.

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me intuition involves your mind putting together cues--probably including some that you hadn't consciously noticed--and adding a little bit of guesswork to leap to a conclusion (which may, actually, turn out not to be correct).  A psychic connection as generally described implies, to me, some sort of direct connection by which information (always correct, or at least incorrect answers seem to usually be used to indicate that the psychic process isn't working) is delivered directly to your mind by means currently inexplicable to science. 

The end result may (assuming that psychic connections actually exist) be similar to each other, but the process by which the results are obtained are very different, as is the amount of room the terms allow for error.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: January 01, 2009, 11:27:40 am »

I had a look on a journal database.  There's a paper you might be interested in: Hodgkinson, Langan-Fox and Sadler-Smith (2008) Intuition: A fundamental bridging construct in the behavioural sciences, British Journal of Psychology, 99 (1), 1-27.

They refer to Dane and Pratt (2007)'s definition of intuition as: ‘affectively-charged judgments that arise through rapid, non-conscious, and holistic associations.’

[Dane and Pratt (2007) Exploring intuition and its role in managerial decision making, Academy of Management Review, 32,33-54]

I appreciate that you see intuition differently, but not everyone sees it as psychic ability.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: January 01, 2009, 11:14:54 pm »

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me intuition involves your mind putting together cues--probably including some that you hadn't consciously noticed--and adding a little bit of guesswork to leap to a conclusion (which may, actually, turn out not to be correct).  A psychic connection as generally described implies, to me, some sort of direct connection by which information (always correct, or at least incorrect answers seem to usually be used to indicate that the psychic process isn't working) is delivered directly to your mind by means currently inexplicable to science. 

The end result may (assuming that psychic connections actually exist) be similar to each other, but the process by which the results are obtained are very different, as is the amount of room the terms allow for error.
That's how I'd define intuition, too.  I call those cues "tiny twos" - putting .002 and .002 and .002, and so on, together until there are enough of them to make four.  Sometimes I'm aware of them before/as I'm doing it, some I can't identify until later, and some I never do distinguish from the process as a whole.

I haven't ruled out "psychic stuff" as one of the many sources of cues, but I'm not necessarily convinced it is, either.  Depends what one means by "psychic" - I'm inclined to think that perception/input isn't limited to the classic five senses, but I don't think of it as extrasensory, or as "delivered directly", or as being any more reliable than what my eyes/ears/etc tell me.  (The older I get - and this is a process that started in my teens, so it's well-developed - the less I care about having a nifty label to attach to the results/experiences.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 02, 2009, 10:50:15 am »

I think the difference is: if it's intuition, there are mundane ways you could have known something, even if you aren't consciously sensing them. If it's psychic, you know something you never could have known through natural means.

An example of this would be an incident that happened to me in college: my friend started dating a guy, and even though he had never done anything to me, I disliked him quite strongly right from the start. He ended up cheating on her, and when she broke up with him because of it, he stalked her to the point where she had to get the police involved. I saw her come home with her shirt ripped one night, and about a week later, with dents in her car. Looking back, I realize I probably unconsciously noticed things about this guy that showed he was not to be trusted. I still don't know what exactly I noticed about him, but I think my subconcious picked up on things he did and all my conscious mind knew what that I didn't like him. I had a natural way of knowing, so I would call that intuition, not psychic ability.

On the other hand, let's say someone wakes up in the middle of the night and knows the whereabouts of a missing person without any knowledge of the person, the case, or the circumstances leading up to the incident. If there was nothing that would have given that person even subconscious clues about where this person was, then it may very well have a supernatural explanation. (I wouldn't say there's know denying it's supernatural, because there could always be a factor we haven't accounted for. I'm just saying it's a possibility.)

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #25: January 02, 2009, 11:51:01 am »

On the other hand, let's say someone wakes up in the middle of the night and knows the whereabouts of a missing person without any knowledge of the person, the case, or the circumstances leading up to the incident. If there was nothing that would have given that person even subconscious clues about where this person was, then it may very well have a supernatural explanation. (I wouldn't say there's know denying it's supernatural, because there could always be a factor we haven't accounted for. I'm just saying it's a possibility.)

This is very close to the real-life example I give when trying to explain the difference between my use of the cards and my mother's more 'pure' version of psychism.  I have used my cards in missing person cases twice, under police aegis, (but without actually helping, since in both cases the cards said the child was dead - correct but not helpful, and nothing about the kidnappers in the readings).

My mother, on the other hand, was approached without warning or preparation and asked 'Where is Linda M.?', to which she replied with a location.  The police went to this location and rescued her.  Linda M. was not a stranger, however - even though we weren't all that close (we didn't even know she was missing) she was my cousin and the person who made the approach was my grandmother, who knew how to phrase things for mom, and that 'out of the blue' was the best way to get a true answer, without giving her time to think or wonder about the question. 

The police didn't come into the house with grandma, since this would have made my mother nervous and possibly unable to answer.  This is a common reaction, and does make straightforward psychic response unreliable.  It is often delicate and elusive and requires the proper approach to elicit the answers.  Mom could never have been a professional psychic.

I am less talented than my mother was, which may be why I can handle it professionally where she couldn't.  Among psychics I have known, the talent seems to lie more along an emotional axis than a rational one, which may be why it tends to fail under test conditions.  My cousin had truly been kidnapped, however, and would probably have wound up dead according to the police.  Even without being testable, and even if this had been the only correct answer of her life (it wasn't) the talent proved itself in this instance and accomplished something regular methods had been unable to.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 02, 2009, 01:46:51 pm »

I think the difference is: if it's intuition, there are mundane ways you could have known something, even if you aren't consciously sensing them. If it's psychic, you know something you never could have known through natural means.

Those are good examples.  Smiley  I think that the two probably overlap quite a bit. (If one is inclined to believe in psychic ability anyway)
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 02, 2009, 04:08:08 pm »

Those are good examples.  Smiley  I think that the two probably overlap quite a bit. (If one is inclined to believe in psychic ability anyway)

I'm sure they do...maybe your psychic abilities can make you more aware of things you unconsciously notice. I tend to ride the fence between accepting the idea completely and being skeptical, so I tend to look for a mundane explanation first. I really don't think my experience with my friend was a psychic thing. But that doesn't mean I don't believe other people can have psychic experiences.

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: January 02, 2009, 05:48:28 pm »

I am less talented than my mother was, which may be why I can handle it professionally where she couldn't.  Among psychics I have known, the talent seems to lie more along an emotional axis than a rational one, which may be why it tends to fail under test conditions.  My cousin had truly been kidnapped, however, and would probably have wound up dead according to the police.  Even without being testable, and even if this had been the only correct answer of her life (it wasn't) the talent proved itself in this instance and accomplished something regular methods had been unable to.
Absent

I agree with your emotional axis idea.  My youngest child loved playing the shell game with mommy and his Easter eggs because I knew every time under which egg half the little prize was hiding. However, if I played the game with others I wouldn't be as accurate. I don't know if was the psychic connection between him and me or if it was just that I would get too nervous around others. I do know that with others I would feel too pressured to get them all right and start to second guess myself. So, who knows?
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 03, 2009, 06:30:11 am »

Well I hate the idea of tooting my own horn (thats why I hesitated on posting this question)  but I do feel inclined to think I may have "something" nothing big however! lol just small things, things I cant really explain.  a Good example is I was on Myspace and none of my friends where online suddenly I started saying "happy new year Britteny happy new year Britteny"  when I started saying that I decided to go to write to her but I suddenly found a Message from Her specifically and it said "Happy New Year".

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)