The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2019, 10:56:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 10:56:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Just Wondering How to Connect with Deity?  (Read 8107 times)
AudrianNikole
Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2011, 02:51:14 am
United States United States

Religion: I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Blog entries (0)

EmptyHourglass

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 27, 2008, 11:30:14 pm »

So...I've been reading a lot on here lately, and I've gotten some really good information, but there are some book references that I don't have access to the materials of...

My question is essentially, what would be a good way to connect with deity(-ies) and maybe interact with him/her/them that I don't have to find a book for? (I'm basically in the category of no-job-no-car-and-nowhere-to-go-get-them-even-if-I-did category at the moment lol) In addition to that, I'm not sure if I'd know when I was in the presence of a deity, so is that something that someone could tell me about or is it in the realm of "You just have to experience it, and once you do you know it" kind of things?

Thanks to anyone who can help  Smiley
   ~Nikole
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:53:27 am by RandallS, Reason: Subject Clarified » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 28, 2008, 03:04:48 pm »

So...I've been reading a lot on here lately, and I've gotten some really good information, but there are some book references that I don't have access to the materials of...

My question is essentially, what would be a good way to connect with deity(-ies) and maybe interact with him/her/them that I don't have to find a book for? (I'm basically in the category of no-job-no-car-and-nowhere-to-go-get-them-even-if-I-did category at the moment lol) In addition to that, I'm not sure if I'd know when I was in the presence of a deity, so is that something that someone could tell me about or is it in the realm of "You just have to experience it, and once you do you know it" kind of things?

Thanks to anyone who can help  Smiley
   ~Nikole
This is a really good questions, I hope I can do it justice.

I guess I connect to the Divine in many ways. I like to do daily devotionals... they are mostly a way for me to say thank you and to do my morning prayers. I don't get a chance to do them everyday, but when I do I feel a closeness I can't explain.

I also like to work outside in my garden that is full of herbs, many of which I use in my cooking, medicinal, and magical workings. Being and working in the earth always makes me feel closer to the Divine.

I pray or talk to the Gods/desses throughout the day. Sometimes I feel like someone is right next to me, sometimes I see something out of the corner of my eyes or a flash of a picture in my mind. This is my experience though, everyone is different and does different things. Some astral project or travel, some go into trances or deep meditations, and some just more sensitve they always feel something.

You will have to try a few things out and see what works for you.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 28, 2008, 04:19:56 pm »

My question is essentially, what would be a good way to connect with deity(-ies) and maybe interact with him/her/them that I don't have to find a book for?

Well, that depends. 

First and foremost, I think it's dependent upon how you view Deity (pantheism? monotheism? polytheism, hard or soft? panentheism? etc).  If you see the Divine as being in all things, then every interaction is one with Deity and it's a matter of honing your awareness to the presence of the Divine in those interactions.  If you view deities as unique individuals each operating separately with their own goals, rules, taboos, and so forth, I'd suggest approaching each deity in a way that is appropriate to that particular individual.  In other words, we may not all connect with Deity in the same way because what we perceive Deity to be is different. What works for me may not work for you. 

Secondarily, how you approach deity may be dependent upon what your reasons are for interaction.  Taking a polytheistic view, your reason for contacting deity should have an influence over which deity you approach and how you approach them. A basic example of what I mean here: if I were seeking a deity's help in achieving a sense of peace, calm, and harmony, I wouldn't go knocking on the door of Eris, Loki, Set, or Ares.  That would be counterproductive, to say the least.

This is a staring point, at least.  If you can tell us a little more about your views of deity and what you're seeking, I may have other suggestions to add.  Smiley

AudrianNikole
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

EmptyHourglass

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 28, 2008, 05:21:58 pm »

First, thank you for the replies and advice so far, it is appreciated.

I guess I connect to the Divine in many ways. I like to do daily devotionals... they are mostly a way for me to say thank you and to do my morning prayers. I don't get a chance to do them everyday, but when I do I feel a closeness I can't explain.

Thank you, and I believe I may start to try that Smiley

Well, that depends. 

First and foremost, I think it's dependent upon how you view Deity (pantheism? monotheism? polytheism, hard or soft? panentheism? etc).  If you see the Divine as being in all things, then every interaction is one with Deity and it's a matter of honing your awareness to the presence of the Divine in those interactions.  If you view deities as unique individuals each operating separately with their own goals, rules, taboos, and so forth, I'd suggest approaching each deity in a way that is appropriate to that particular individual.  In other words, we may not all connect with Deity in the same way because what we perceive Deity to be is different. What works for me may not work for you. 

Secondarily, how you approach deity may be dependent upon what your reasons are for interaction.  Taking a polytheistic view, your reason for contacting deity should have an influence over which deity you approach and how you approach them. A basic example of what I mean here: if I were seeking a deity's help in achieving a sense of peace, calm, and harmony, I wouldn't go knocking on the door of Eris, Loki, Set, or Ares.  That would be counterproductive, to say the least.

This is a staring point, at least.  If you can tell us a little more about your views of deity and what you're seeking, I may have other suggestions to add.  Smiley

I'd say that (so far) my beliefs are medium polytheism? All gods/goddesses are aspects of a greater/infinite being from which everything emerged but the gods/goddesses themselves are their own respective persons. I hope that's not too contradictory? If it is then I'm not explaining myself very well I'm afraid...but anywho. I do also believe that anything with its own inherent energy has something of the divine within it, similar to the way that man-made objects bear at least a trace of the energy from the one(s) who created them.
For now at least, any approach I make towards a deity would mostly be just honoring their presence in my immediate surroundings (I live kind of out in the sticks).

Thanks again, and I apologize if anything I've just said is...confusing or a contradiction in terms

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 28, 2008, 06:39:30 pm »

For now at least, any approach I make towards a deity would mostly be just honoring their presence in my immediate surroundings (I live kind of out in the sticks).

I think I understand where you're coming from now.  I'd start off very simply with something like daily devotionals as Figment has suggested. You might also want to consider creating a sacred space, whether it would be an outdoor shrine, a garden plot, indoor altar, etc. Creating a place specifically for worship (or prayer or meditation) can go a long way toward helping make the connection and understanding when it does happen. 

AudrianNikole
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

EmptyHourglass

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 29, 2008, 01:43:13 pm »

I think I understand where you're coming from now.  I'd start off very simply with something like daily devotionals as Figment has suggested. You might also want to consider creating a sacred space, whether it would be an outdoor shrine, a garden plot, indoor altar, etc. Creating a place specifically for worship (or prayer or meditation) can go a long way toward helping make the connection and understanding when it does happen. 

Thank you dear, I'll do that  Smiley I feel like that's probably what I was leaning towards anyways, I just wanted some others' input to make sure it wasn't totally off base lol

Thanks again

Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2009, 04:51:22 am
Finland Finland

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 30, 2008, 07:56:02 am »

My question is essentially, what would be a good way to connect with deity(-ies) and maybe interact with him/her/them that I don't have to find a book for?

One of my personal favourites is offerings with special altardecorations. Its simple and this far it has worked for me and my Gods very well.

First thing to do is ofcourse to do some homework, I like to get all the information I can get conserning the Deity. Ofcourse I keep studying on subject all the time to have better knowledge of my Deities. Ofcourse They can give you some personalized information about Themselves when the connection deepens. But yes, first thing to do for me is usually studying. Studying makes everything so much clearer and easier, everyone knows that.

Then I decorate my altar with objects I assosiate with the Deity I wanna serve and connect with. I dont think its hard to find something that makes the special feeling and pleases the God when using some effort and putting my heart into it. The whole decoration thing is special for me and when doing it I already start the process of connecting. I think this phase of process is the important one for myself to get my subconscious to work. It also quite meditative moment.

So when I have this special altar for honoring the Deity I want to connect with I do offerings and also pray by the altar. This is the phase that is supposed to please the God so I try to choose offerings that Deity concerned with would like (not easy without proper study). Fisrt time connectinc with Deity I usually just give my offerings and ask Him/Her to recognize my gift. When doing this first time I dont start right away ask anything for myself. At least not when Im after deeper connection with the Deity. Im not saying that Gods wont connect with us right from the start. Some do and They can also be the one that are taking the connection first. This far it has like I give them an offerings and some devotion and They connect me when pleased (usually much more faster than I was expecting Cheesy).

So, this special altar is thing that helps me to connect with Deity. I think it works for both me and the Gods so well becouse of the effort I put into it. I feel that offering your time and effort is something Gods value.

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 31, 2008, 04:03:17 am »

In addition to that, I'm not sure if I'd know when I was in the presence of a deity, so is that something that someone could tell me about or is it in the realm of "You just have to experience it, and once you do you know it" kind of things?

It is sort of a "you'll know" thing when you've finally made a deep connection. It's really difficult to put into words without sounding crazy.

Meditation and prayer are excellent ways to make contact with the Gods, whether you've got a specific one in mind or you just want to explore diety. Making offerings is also a good way, even if that's just going out into the woods and pouring out water that you've put your personal energies into.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
AudrianNikole
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

EmptyHourglass

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 03, 2009, 12:11:22 am »

So, this special altar is thing that helps me to connect with Deity. I think it works for both me and the Gods so well becouse of the effort I put into it. I feel that offering your time and effort is something Gods value.

Thank you, and I will very soon get to that =] I really appreciate the input. And, I've begun researching appropriate offerings and such lately so that I don't make a bad impression the first time lol

It is sort of a "you'll know" thing when you've finally made a deep connection. It's really difficult to put into words without sounding crazy.

Meditation and prayer are excellent ways to make contact with the Gods, whether you've got a specific one in mind or you just want to explore diety. Making offerings is also a good way, even if that's just going out into the woods and pouring out water that you've put your personal energies into.

Karen

I was kinda expecting the "you'll know" thing...but I suppose a prescribed experience would be a bit impersonal, though, if you think about it. And I'm glad the offerings can be that simple  Grin  it helps a lot I like to think

Thank you all for the help

dreamer27
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 22, 2009, 06:48:44 pm

Religion: zen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 05, 2009, 03:13:17 pm »

I believe the divine is everywhere.  You can see it in the flowers trees, sky, and also in yourself.  Many people are blind to the divine, because their mind gets in the way. Your ego provides an illusion of separateness

Once you still your mind, you become aware of the divine.  When this happens, you feel a sense of inner peace, that you would never of thought possible
Artemis Rain
Apprentice
Last Login:February 07, 2009, 12:45:39 pm
Côte d'Ivoire Côte d'Ivoire

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 05, 2009, 08:55:38 pm »

I'm sorry I can't give directions on how or anything but I will tell you what I experience.

I think a part of it is belief.  When I first started down my path I wasn't very confident about my rituals and I wasn't sure if I was doing it correctly (which is funny because I started off feeling like there wasn't a wrong way).  The more I felt confident and believed in what I was doing the more I could feel a presence around me, especially in the circle.  After a while at random times during the day I could just feel a presence over my shoulder.  I began to realize I had a new respect for all the living things around me.

One time that I can definitely describe as a defining moment in connecting with Goddess was when I moved in with my fiancee who was at the time in New York.  It was a long drive and it started to get into the late evening when I was driving up.  Half way up the state of NY I was up in the quiet country roads and quite lost and scared.  The full moon was rising and I followed it my new home.  She guided me there.

What helps me most is to remind myself how they are in all things as well as ourselves.  Take nice walk through the local forest preserve.  feel the leaves on branches, and the dry ones on the ground.  Listen to the birds and other creatures you might hear.  Smell the scents of the forest and the cool dirt under the carpet of plants and leaves on the ground.  You will fee them all around you and inside you.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)