The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 11:52:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 11:52:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What do you use Magic for?  (Read 11652 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 28, 2008, 03:31:45 pm »

...Do you use it only when you need help with a certain situation, or do you use it in everything you do to give things an extra little boost?

Or do you use magic with a long-term goal in mind? Or perhaps you have no goals in mind when you use Magic?

Generally, what is it that you use Magic for? And was it for this reason that you were drawn to practicing Magic in the first place?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 28, 2008, 04:32:08 pm »

...Do you use it only when you need help with a certain situation, or do you use it in everything you do to give things an extra little boost?

Or do you use magic with a long-term goal in mind? Or perhaps you have no goals in mind when you use Magic?

Generally, what is it that you use Magic for? And was it for this reason that you were drawn to practicing Magic in the first place?

I use magic for protection and healing, mainly, and self-improvement. I just started a long term magical project, sort of a seasonal attunement thing to grow my career. I do magic on an as-needed basis, for myself, and with my coven on the full and/or new moon and monthly in puja, and on the turns of the Wheel.

I was drawn to magic b/c it drew me to it. I don't know why. Weird stuff has been happening to me my whole life, and I finally let go of my fear of it, and started to use the energy as it was presented to me.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Mog
Apprentice
Last Login:October 07, 2009, 05:09:10 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Naturalistic Pantheistic type Pagan/Pagan NLPer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 28, 2008, 05:41:12 pm »

I used to use magick quite a bit for work on myself - these days I don't use it so much for that, but am more likely to use for areas where the outside world and I have to interact and it's not entirely in my hands.... eg Healing and Protection for my loved ones, bringing about opportunities for myself and my loved ones.

Mostly when i work on myself these days I use my extensive training in NLP and hypnosis - sometimes I will reinforce this work with a nice little ritual or spell.

I'd like to do more magick again for some longer term goals and for some greater good... I've been feeling a little disconnected form my spirituality for a while.
samham73
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2011, 12:13:39 pm
Spain Spain

Religion: Celtic shamanism/Norse Paganism

"not many are shamans, but shamanic practitioners"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 28, 2008, 08:39:07 pm »

I use magick to help me and others, to find answers, to learn and to improve. And iv learned alot since I started.
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 28, 2008, 09:29:56 pm »

I use magic for protection and healing, mainly, and self-improvement.

Protection is foremost what I use magic for. As far as healing goes, I'm a kitchenwitch so I use herbal remedies a lot. I do tend to bless and empower the herbs before I use them, so in a way I suppose that is a form of magic.

But protection is definitely what I use magic for the most, and is also one of the reasons magic appealed to me in the first place.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 28, 2008, 11:20:44 pm »

I do tend to bless and empower the herbs before I use them, so in a way I suppose that is a form of magic.

don't know how it *wouldn't be. Magic is as magic does. My mom, a Catholic witch who learned most of her stuff from her Irish grandmother, routinely said healing prayers and blessings over food and it seemed to work pretty well for her.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

orioncali
Apprentice
Last Login:November 13, 2011, 08:50:05 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 29, 2008, 12:12:27 am »

I think it depends on what your definition of magic is. I see magic as what binds everything together. For me a simple wish is magic, as well as a fully intended ritual.

I pray mostly I ask for strength and the ability to do something on my own.

~And that my Lord is how we know the world is banana shaped~

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 29, 2008, 11:56:14 am »

For everything. I really wouldn't know how to separate what isn't magic any more.

I have done full blown rituals for certain things, but oddly enough, the more "powerful" spells or important things are actually done very simply.

I am currently having a problem with what I call subconscious witchcraft. That is I do things without thinking about it or meaning to.  Tongue  Comes from being a long-time practitioner I think. Kind of like being on magical auto-pilot. This may mean something like sending out or giving off energy which may be too strong or misdirected because I reacted without realizing it.
Midnightrider
Journeyman
Last Login:January 21, 2009, 06:36:21 am
France France

Religion: Earth pagan (Old Religion)

At the Midnight Hour

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 29, 2008, 12:29:01 pm »

I use magic everyday, wherever I happen to be. It's a natural part of myself. I'm very much into elemental magic and make it a habit to look around me and attune with the elements: birds, trees, cats, any other animal or living thing that happens to be in my surrounding environment. I have a strong affinity with blackbirds, magpies and crows. This morning it was a crow; yesterday a magpie. They were so close I cuuld see the soft feathers on their breasts and wings, stopping what they were doing, looked at me, then walked away. This happens with cats at times, and only occasionally with dogs.

When I need help with a certain situation, then I take the time to perform a ritual. But I work best having a simple personal "tête-à-tête" with the outdoors; I feel best attuned and in contact with elements: the wind, the rain, the warm sun, the grass underneath my feet.

What do I use magic for? I usually ask for protection, for my home, my family and friends, and for myself. I feel close to kitchen witchery, and love to create in my kitchen, but am just learning about herbs, especially medicinal ones, and need to study more in that area. Other times I ask for inspiration for my short stories; I'm always on the outlook for new ideas anywhere.

"Let your love be like the misty rain, coming softly but flooding the river."
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 29, 2008, 12:29:13 pm »

I am currently having a problem with what I call subconscious witchcraft. That is I do things without thinking about it or meaning to.  Tongue  Comes from being a long-time practitioner I think. Kind of like being on magical auto-pilot. This may mean something like sending out or giving off energy which may be too strong or misdirected because I reacted without realizing it.

I had a similar problem when I first got back into active practice, sort of seemed like it had all been constricted for so long that when it started flowing again it was kind of a gush for a while. I do think it's important to balance out my energy pretty regularly so i don't get that kind of fluctuation. Meditation helps with that.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 29, 2008, 03:09:56 pm »

I had a similar problem when I first got back into active practice, sort of seemed like it had all been constricted for so long that when it started flowing again it was kind of a gush for a while. I do think it's important to balance out my energy pretty regularly so i don't get that kind of fluctuation. Meditation helps with that.

Yep, I think that might be a big part of it. My life has really been going at a faster pace than I would like right now. Seems I never have time for meditation any more. I do feel out of balance in several areas.

A problem I have is that if I schedule in meditation time, I feel like Okay, this is it, must meditate now. Nothing like putting pressure on yourself to meditate.   Roll Eyes
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 29, 2008, 06:52:22 pm »

A problem I have is that if I schedule in meditation time, I feel like Okay, this is it, must meditate now. Nothing like putting pressure on yourself to meditate.   Roll Eyes

Cheesy  Yep, I know what you mean. It seems to defeat the purpose, doesn't it?

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Dani
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 11, 2009, 10:29:02 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Seeker.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 29, 2008, 07:46:21 pm »

I don't personally practice magic yet - I'm still in the very early stages of studying and learning and I don't even know what my path will be yet - but I know that it will incorporate magic, so my answer is what I anticipate myself using it for when I do begin to use it.

I think it'll be a big part of my everyday life - kind of incorporated into everything I do, like a few here have said already. I know my path will use magic as an act of worship as well as a cause-and-effect process, so I figure I'll be using it quite a bit, for a fair variety of things from kitchen witching (which I'm eager to learn more about) to simple meditation/prayer/visualization to formal ritual. I'm hoping to progress to a state of mind, too, where I'm using it more, and more often, for other people's benefit than my own Smiley
V23
Journeyman
Last Login:July 23, 2009, 02:09:27 am

Religion: Chaote

MEAN UGLY OLD FART

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 29, 2008, 09:24:23 pm »

Funny, you ask the question.

It goes to the root of morality and ethical behavior in paganisim. . .

Understand that Paradigm is the quintessence of Magick and belief is a tool for achieving effects; it is not an end in itself.
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 29, 2008, 09:35:08 pm »

Protection is foremost what I use magic for. As far as healing goes, I'm a kitchenwitch so I use herbal remedies a lot. I do tend to bless and empower the herbs before I use them, so in a way I suppose that is a form of magic.

But protection is definitely what I use magic for the most, and is also one of the reasons magic appealed to me in the first place.

Ditto.  Protection is what I use it most for, also some healing.  But like you, I incorporate healing into my cooking, and use a lot of herbs to ward off nasties (both spiritual, and physical! Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)