The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 22, 2021, 12:07:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2021, 12:07:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ares in 'classical' Greek religion  (Read 3497 times)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 29, 2008, 04:36:28 am »

Hi all. I am hoping that you may be able to help me if you have a spare moment and the inclination  Wink I'm a Stoic by philosophy and want to learn more about the religion of the Greek Stoic era's (say 300BCE to 200AD). I have decided to start by researching Ares in particular, as He is strongly associated with an aspect of life that challenges me. I am hoping that some of you may be able to point me at reliable (preferably online) resources or suggestions for lines of reading/research. I will of course be doing my own research, so may beg your indulgence when I find new resources.

Any and all help is gratefully accepted Smiley

Cheers, BGMarc

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 29, 2008, 04:41:33 am »

Sorry, I just reread and realised that I had missed mentioning Athena (I got interrupted while typing), but figured it was too late to edit.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: December 29, 2008, 06:25:43 pm »

Well for Ares, I recommend his page on theoi.com.  Unfortunately, Athena's page on that site isn't as full as one might expect.  (Strangely, so are the ones for Zeus, Poseidon and Apollo).

However, if you want info on the actual cults of these dieties, I find Greek Religion by Walter Burkert much more (in my experiance) reliable than most of the stuff found online.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 29, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

Well for Ares, I recommend his page on theoi.com.  Unfortunately, Athena's page on that site isn't as full as one might expect.  (Strangely, so are the ones for Zeus, Poseidon and Apollo).

However, if you want info on the actual cults of these dieties, I find Greek Religion by Walter Burkert much more (in my experiance) reliable than most of the stuff found online.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I have been encountering Burket in my research and was wondering if I should trot off to the library/bookshop.

BGMarc at the Pub
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: December 29, 2008, 06:53:27 pm »

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I have been encountering Burket in my research and was wondering if I should trot off to the library/bookshop.

Oh yes. Burkert's Greek Religion is on pretty much every GR's recommended reading list.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: December 29, 2008, 09:00:22 pm »

Definitely. Burkert's Greek Religion is definitely and strongly recommended.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 30, 2008, 08:12:47 pm »

Hi all. I am hoping that you may be able to help me if you have a spare moment and the inclination  Wink I'm a Stoic by philosophy and want to learn more about the religion of the Greek Stoic era's (say 300BCE to 200AD). I have decided to start by researching Ares in particular, as He is strongly associated with an aspect of life that challenges me. I am hoping that some of you may be able to point me at reliable (preferably online) resources or suggestions for lines of reading/research. I will of course be doing my own research, so may beg your indulgence when I find new resources.

Any and all help is gratefully accepted Smiley

Cheers, BGMarc

Here are a few more links that might be helpful

http://www.neosalexandria.org/ares_texts.htm - passages from ancient texts about Ares
http://www.neosalexandria.org/ares_ancienthymns.htm - Ancient hymns to Ares
http://www.neosalexandria.org/ares_modernera.htm - Ares in the Modern Era, an essay by a devotee of Ares
http://www.astrologyguild.com/mythmars.htm- Mars: The God of War

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 31, 2008, 12:17:57 am »

Here are a few more links that might be helpful

http://www.neosalexandria.org/ares_texts.htm - passages from ancient texts about Ares
http://www.neosalexandria.org/ares_ancienthymns.htm - Ancient hymns to Ares
http://www.neosalexandria.org/ares_modernera.htm - Ares in the Modern Era, an essay by a devotee of Ares
http://www.astrologyguild.com/mythmars.htm- Mars: The God of War

Thank you very much for the links. Thank you also to the recommendations from Lyric and Randall. I'm starting to enjoy this line of research a lot already. I can see it keeping me busy for at least the quarter. Now I just need to distill and engage in some practice.

BGMarc at the Pub

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.