The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 04:11:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 04:11:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New and need some advice...  (Read 1927 times)
Talamascaa
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 31, 2008, 01:04:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: searching

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 30, 2008, 12:14:32 am »

Hello all. I'm new to this site and just looking for some advice/ guidance.

I grew up Christian, but after doing some research and soul searching, I'm starting to figure out that I've been following a story that's been recycled over time.

I don't think that I believe in Wicca either but I think some sort of Pagan sect is where i belong. Perhaps one of you can help me out.

These are my beliefs.

I believe in a God (creator) of the Universe in which we live.
I firmly believe that if you do good/bad it will come back to you within this lifetime. Everything you do affects your life in some ways.
I believe that the soul goes on after death. Either through reincarnation or evolution.
I believe that this planet is what gives us life and sustains us and we should give it respect in return. However I don't think the planet itself IS God.

Does this sound like something specific? Any advice on reading materials or clues on how to find my way?

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:02:44 am by Star, Reason: Removing bold formatting » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 30, 2008, 01:26:34 am »

Does this sound like something specific? Any advice on reading materials or clues on how to find my way?

Thanks in advance for any help.

No, not anything specific, but it is basically what I personally believe too. Many of us here are on our own paths and do not fit neatly into any specific tradition.

My best advice I can give you is to read read read. I would like to recommend Margo Adler's book Drawing Down the Moon. It is a good basic place to start as it gives a lot of info on a lot of paths.

You could keep a  journal too, because as you learn your ideas or beliefs may change and grow. It can help you to sort out where you may be headed.

Blessings along your path!
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: December 30, 2008, 05:06:49 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron.  One thing I'd advise would be to poke around in this folder and the Pagan Religions 101 one.  We've had quite a few requests for advice along these lines, and while the specific beliefs of others who have asked might differ from yours, you might still find the answers that they got helpful in terms of figuring out how to proceed.  Our Pagan Primer page might also be helpful:
http://www.ecauldron.net/newpagan.php

(By the way, just a quick note--please don't make your whole post bold as you did with this one.  It's best to stick with plain, unformatted text because it's easiest to read.  Whole posts of bold (or italic, or etc.) text can be hard on some of our eyes, which aren't all in the best condition to begin with.  Wink  Thanks!)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 30, 2008, 08:42:07 am »

I grew up Christian, but after doing some research and soul searching, I'm starting to figure out that I've been following a story that's been recycled over time.

I don't think that I believe in Wicca either but I think some sort of Pagan sect is where i belong. Perhaps one of you can help me out.

These are my beliefs.

One thing to think about is that many of the Pagan religions are defined by practices, rather than beliefs. (In other words, they're a bit more like Judaism or Buddhism than Christianity: what you do is more important than what you believe.) Your beliefs wouldn't be hugely at odds with many Pagan paths (they might not agree totally, but they also wouldn't necessarily be a barrier), but whether you're interested in specific practices might be a more useful way to look at things.

(As an example: my covenmate and I actually have fairly different views about the nature of deity - I'm a fairly hard polytheist, she's not. But we both agree on the specific practices we use together, which are pretty thoroughly structured, due to the tradition we are both initiates in.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Talamascaa
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 30, 2008, 12:13:03 pm »

Blessings along your path!

Thank you and to everyone who replied. 

It's strange to me heading down this road after being raised always hearing "the only way into heaven is through Jesus Christ."  I was always at odds with that statement.  I kept arguing "why would God create all these other people to be condemned to hell, even though they are worshiping him just as much?"

I guess that's what you could say started me along this path of thinking. 

I'm still kind of trying to figure out the following practices rather than beliefs, but I'll get there eventually. 
Talamascaa
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 31, 2008, 12:07:18 am »

By the way... Can someone tell me how to upload an avatar? 
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: December 31, 2008, 05:08:21 am »

By the way... Can someone tell me how to upload an avatar? 

Using custom avatars is something we've reserved for Full Members.  You can see details about Full Membership here:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=45.0

To use a custom avatar, a Full Member will need to have the image hosted elsewhere (Photobucket is a popular choice).  There will be a box in your profile (just under where you can choose one of our standard avatars, on the Forum Profile Information screen) where you can put in the address of the image.  Please note that the avatar must be 100 pixels wide by 200 tall (or less) and the file size can't be bigger than 8KB.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)