The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2020, 02:34:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2020, 02:34:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: database project -- I think  (Read 4320 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: April 18, 2007, 07:29:48 pm »

Are there any database experts out there who can help me figure out how to set up a project?

I want to catalog my research on Brighid.  I *think* the best way to do this is with a database -- but I could easily be wrong.  (Please feel free to tell me so!)

I have a number of different kinds of resources, ranging from a couple of entire books all about Brighid to chapters and large passages in books, to brief mentions in books, to journal articles, to websites.  Some pieces are about Brighid as goddess, others are about Brighid as saint, some are both.  Some focus on her associations with smithcraft, some with healing, some with poetry, etc.  Some are about Imbolc, and therefore related to Brighid.  Some of my resources are stories in the mythology.  Some are archeology books.  Etc. Etc.  Etc.  And I continue to collect them.

I would like to somehow input all this data so that I can search it according to a variety of tags or labels or whatever they're called.  For example, if I want to find all the places in my library where Brighid's association with fire are mentioned, I can plug that in to my computer and get back a list of specific references to my books and files.

I don't currently have a database program, but realize I'm going to have to get one.  Suggestions?

Or do I actually need a different kind of program?

Thoughts about how to set this up?  Pitfalls to try to avoid?

Thanks!!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 18, 2007, 11:00:55 pm »

I want to catalog my research on Brighid.  I *think* the best way to do this is with a database -- but I could easily be wrong.  (Please feel free to tell me so!)

I think there are some specialized research tool programs that will do this -- buyiong one orf those would probably make more sense than buying a general purpose database and their have to design and code what you want.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 18, 2007, 11:37:46 pm »

I think there are some specialized research tool programs that will do this -- buyiong one orf those would probably make more sense than buying a general purpose database and their have to design and code what you want.

Ah ha!  Do you have any suggestions?  Or titles, at least?

(I didn't even know those existed -- although I probably should have figured it out... Embarrassed )

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 19, 2007, 07:21:13 am »

Are there any database experts out there who can help me figure out how to set up a project?

Two thoughts.

One is that one of the 'run on your computer' Wiki programs would do it, I think, especially if it has a way to categorise pages. (I use VoodooPad, for the Mac, for a number of similar tasks.)

As far as the academic programs - Endnote, Biblioscope and others are out there. They're usually fairly pricy ($100-300) but you might poke around somewhere like versiontracker.com and see if there's anything else that looks like it might work.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 19, 2007, 09:23:41 am »

I have a number of different kinds of resources, ranging from a couple of entire books all about Brighid to chapters and large passages in books, to brief mentions in books, to journal articles, to websites.  Some pieces are about Brighid as goddess, others are about Brighid as saint, some are both.  Some focus on her associations with smithcraft, some with healing, some with poetry, etc.  Some are about Imbolc, and therefore related to Brighid.  Some of my resources are stories in the mythology.  Some are archeology books.  Etc. Etc.  Etc.  And I continue to collect them.

I would like to somehow input all this data so that I can search it according to a variety of tags or labels or whatever they're called.  For example, if I want to find all the places in my library where Brighid's association with fire are mentioned, I can plug that in to my computer and get back a list of specific references to my books and files.

I don't currently have a database program, but realize I'm going to have to get one.  Suggestions?

Or do I actually need a different kind of program?

Thoughts about how to set this up?  Pitfalls to try to avoid?

Thanks!!

Micorsoft Access is a GREAT program for this sort of stuff. 

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 19, 2007, 09:32:31 am »

Micorsoft Access is a GREAT program for this sort of stuff. 

I was originally thinking that a database program would be the way to go, but then...maybe there's something more tailored to academic research...

Have you used Access for this kind of thing before?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: April 19, 2007, 09:44:12 am »

One is that one of the 'run on your computer' Wiki programs would do it, I think, especially if it has a way to categorise pages. (I use VoodooPad, for the Mac, for a number of similar tasks.)

On a similar note, my initial thought was to just set up a blog on one of the free services that lets you categorize stuff.  (After all, if mostly what she wants is a bunch of listings of research that she can put in categories...  It might not be a blog's intended purpose, but the software would certainly work for that.  No need to reinvent the wheel.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 19, 2007, 10:23:51 am »

I was originally thinking that a database program would be the way to go, but then...maybe there's something more tailored to academic research...

Have you used Access for this kind of thing before?

The last time I used access it was for a call log when I was working IT. 

What I liked about it was that you can create drop down lists to categorize, so you might be able to do a field for title, author, media - then have a drop down for media, where you can have (website, book, magazine, encyclopedia, etc.) and then after that a box that you can reduce/ expand with the relative content.

If you have a limited number of authors you could do a drop down menu.

What I liked about the program was the ability to sort data quickly.  I used it to track trouble users and trouble programs.  I was able to sort by user, sort by problem, sort by program, and sort by time.

eg. 

User  Time  Issue  Program  Priority 
Joe Schmoe  3:15pm  locked up computer  photoshop  2   

Then I did drop downs for user, program, and priority.  Basically anything I had a limited number of.  I was trying to come up with a way to organize and save time, track calls, and identify areas of issue, that could be searched quickly.

There was also the option of sorting alphabetically, and sorting by any of the fields that you created.  It's a cool program.  So you could sort by media, sort by date entered, sort by author, etc.

Then again, something more for research might be the way to go too.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #8: April 19, 2007, 10:40:27 am »

Heh, being the kind of guy I am, I immediately thought "Hey, I could easily do this up using MySQL and a Java applet front end. In fact, I've already got code lying around that would only take a couple weeks to modify!"

Ooooor, you could use a wiki and be done with it Smiley

disillusioned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:13:36 am

Religion: Celtic Polytheist

I didn't do it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 19, 2007, 04:01:16 pm »

Have you considered Library Thing?

Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing
There is a field:
I'll meet you there. - Rumi
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: April 19, 2007, 04:06:56 pm »

Have you considered Library Thing?

I thought about that too (or something similar), but it's not really set up for anything other than books, and it sounds like Moon Ivy needs to also catalog web sites and articles and things.  Sad

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 19, 2007, 05:50:13 pm »

Kayuda:- its a online mindmapping tool. and its free.

Never used it myself but people tell me good things. like easy and used lots. And apparently Howard Tayler (of schlock mercenary) uses it for storylines.

http://www.kayuda.com/workspace/trial#zoom=69.0909090909091 for a demo and
http://www.kayuda.com/ to sign Up and make your own space

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: April 19, 2007, 05:58:10 pm »

Kayuda:- its a online mindmapping tool. and its free.

Never used it myself but people tell me good things. like easy and used lots. And apparently Howard Tayler (of schlock mercenary) uses it for storylines.

http://www.kayuda.com/workspace/trial#zoom=69.0909090909091 for a demo and
http://www.kayuda.com/ to sign Up and make your own space

Ackkkkk!   Shocked

I just clicked on the first link, and it's really scary!!

OK.  just had to get that out of my system.  Now I'll go back and try to figure out what "mindmapping" is. 

Huh

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)