The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2022, 01:44:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2022, 01:44:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Kitchen Witchery  (Read 7869 times)
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 30, 2008, 08:44:28 pm »

I know there are several of us on here who call ourselves Kitchen Witches (or Green, Hedge, Cottage...).  I'm just wondering what you do to incorporate your brand of magic into your lives?  Do you use herbs daily?  Only when needed?  Do you say a little spell over your food while you're cooking?  Care to share what it is?  Do you stir deosil, or widdershins?  Wink  Do you use herbs other than in your food (i.e. in charms, for bathing or as incense)?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 30, 2008, 09:06:04 pm »

I know there are several of us on here who call ourselves Kitchen Witches (or Green, Hedge, Cottage...).  I'm just wondering what you do to incorporate your brand of magic into your lives?  Do you use herbs daily?  Only when needed?  Do you say a little spell over your food while you're cooking?  Care to share what it is?  Do you stir deosil, or widdershins?  Wink  Do you use herbs other than in your food (i.e. in charms, for bathing or as incense)?

Right now I'm using herbs daily, because a lot of people around me are sick and I'm trying to prevent myself from catching it. I have a peppermint sachet under my pillow, and every morning when I wake up I drink either honey and lemon in hot water, or steeped ginger root with honey. Whenever I use herbs I thank my Gods for the use of them, and I charge them just by laying my hands on them and feeding some of my own energy into them. I was once advised to put all of my herbs in the windowsill under the light of the moon and leave them there for one night, as this would give them an extra little boost. I never did try that, though.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 03, 2009, 01:44:30 pm »

I use herbs constantly, especially in teas and cooking.  I also make incense, mojo bags, and oils.  I don't really say spells while cooking, but I do try to focus on a particular intent with some dishes.   I am only occasionally conscious of stirring in a particular direction.  With special dishes I stir clockwise.  I also try to look at my kitchen as a sort of temple space.  I try to clean it regularly and decorate in a way that pleases me.  I also try to choose only tools and appliances that make me happy.

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 03, 2009, 02:31:29 pm »

I know there are several of us on here who call ourselves Kitchen Witches (or Green, Hedge, Cottage...). 

Ooh, good topic.  I'd love to explore more kitchen/green witchery, but the closest I've come to is a receipe for house cleaner.  I like to cook, because it feels like magic to me.  To take a bunch of ingredients and mix them together, add a little heat, boom!  You've got a wonderful end result (hopefully!)

Do you (anyone) use vinegar for house hold cleaning?  I was thinking about a suggestion from Diane Sylvan to take white vinegar, baking soda, and essential oils (lemon or orange), but I'm not sure what the parts are.  If you use it, could you let me know?  Or perhaps list any natural cleaning products you use?

*Síocháin*
folksymama
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 03, 2009, 04:07:51 pm »

Do you (anyone) use vinegar for house hold cleaning?  I was thinking about a suggestion from Diane Sylvan to take white vinegar, baking soda, and essential oils (lemon or orange), but I'm not sure what the parts are.  If you use it, could you let me know?  Or perhaps list any natural cleaning products you use?

I clean a LOT with vinegar.  I make an all purpose cleaner that is 1:10 vinegar to water.  Put the vinegar in, add the water almost to the top, then add a few drops of dish detergent and whatever essential oil strikes my fancy, shake the bottle up, then fill the rest of they way with water.  I use this for everything - counters, glass, toys...it does a great job on even stuck on stuff - just let it sit for a few minutes then wipe.

A great glass cleaner is just rubbing alcohol and water - I think about half and half.  And I always use old newspaper for wiping the windows with.  No lint and no streaks!

I also like to use baking soda as a gentle scrubber on the bathroom and kitchen counters.  Just sprinkle on the surface and scrub with a damp sponge.  A mix of baking soda, lemon juice and water is also great for scrubbing and smells wonderful.

For a furniture polish, I mix equal parts lemon juice and olive oil.
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 03, 2009, 04:11:23 pm »

Wow.  Thanks for all those great tips!

*Síocháin*
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: January 03, 2009, 08:25:07 pm »

A great glass cleaner is just rubbing alcohol and water - I think about half and half.  And I always use old newspaper for wiping the windows with.  No lint and no streaks!

I'd actually always heard this as vinegar and water.  Smiley  (The rest of this post is a more general reply, not aimed at you specifically.)

Other vinegary stuff:  It works semi-well as a replacement for fabric softener.  (Add a few drops of essential oil to scent if you like.)  I thought it worked OK enough to use, but Hubby found it inferior to the eco-friendly fabric softener we were using, so we went back to the other stuff--but I still use vinegar in a pinch sometimes when we're running out.

Also, put straight vinegar in a spray bottle to use as an odor absorber.  It will not MASK the odors and smell all pretty like commercial air fresheners do, but if you let it sit for a couple of minutes it will absorb them--think Febreeze rather than Glade here.  I sometimes add a little essential oil to it to give just a hint of scent.

My homemade all-purpose cleaner is a little more complicated.  Borrowed from Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan (which y'all should totally check out if you haven't):  Mix 1 tsp borax and 2 Tbsp vinegar in a 16oz spray bottle.  Fill almost to the top with very hot water and stir/shake to dissolve the borax.  Then add either 2 Tbsp dish soap OR 1/4 cup castille soap (like Dr. Bronner's) and 10-15 drops essential oil and stir to mix.  Note:  This is slightly toxic to humans.  If you're worried about that, you can leave out the borax; it won't be quite as strong a cleaner, but it will still work.  For larger cleaning jobs (washing the floor, say, or cleaning out the big recycling tubs), I use the same ingredients but just kind of eyeball the proportions.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 03, 2009, 08:40:19 pm »

Wow.  Thanks for all those great tips!

I'll add, since I don't think I read it anywhere, that the vinegar should be "white," *not* apple cider. My mother always told me, "apples are for eating, so that's the vinegar for cooking. The other one's for cleaning." (And making pickles, which we eat, so... LOL!)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: January 03, 2009, 08:45:30 pm »

I'll add, since I don't think I read it anywhere, that the vinegar should be "white," *not* apple cider. My mother always told me, "apples are for eating, so that's the vinegar for cooking. The other one's for cleaning." (And making pickles, which we eat, so... LOL!)

Whoops!  Yeah, definitely.  White vinegar, not apple cider or red wine or rice or whatever other fancy vinegars you have lying around.  Just plain old white distilled vinegar.  Sorry.  I'm so used to thinking in those terms that I forgot to specify.

Although I have seen apple cider vinegar recommended as a hair rinse...  to combat dandruff, I think?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
folksymama
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 03, 2009, 09:00:13 pm »

Whoops!  Yeah, definitely.  White vinegar, not apple cider or red wine or rice or whatever other fancy vinegars you have lying around.  Just plain old white distilled vinegar.  Sorry.  I'm so used to thinking in those terms that I forgot to specify.

Although I have seen apple cider vinegar recommended as a hair rinse...  to combat dandruff, I think?

I actually tried the "no 'poo" thing a year or so ago.  Instead of shampooing, you take a baking soda paste, rub that into your scalp, then rinse with apple cider vinegar.  It actually did work pretty well, but I got tired of it, and missed a nice smelling shampoo.

I also LOVE Dr. Bronner's and use it quite a bit, our handsoap is just half and half Dr. Bronner's and water.  Do keep in mind, though, that if you have hard water, any kind of castille soap like this will leave a residue.  Rinsing with vinegar will help with that.
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 03, 2009, 09:29:27 pm »

Again, Mom used to say that was to "brighten" the hair's natural color. She'd use a rinse of 1:1 water:cider vinegar on my hair when I was young. I got tired of smelling like cider vinegar sometime in middle school, I think.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 04, 2009, 09:26:02 am »

I use herbs for just about everything. From cooking, to teas, to spiritual use.

When cooking I add certain ingredience to add something I want to put in the food as well as say a blessing. I also have little chants and songs I say when I am doing my everyday things like cleaning and knitting.

As for natural cleaning and everyday needs I recommend Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan. It has a lot of great uses for vinegar and how to make bug sprays and different cleaners in a more natural way with a lot less chemical. It is more of a 'green' book, but has a lot of useful info.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 04, 2009, 09:22:12 pm »

I actually tried the "no 'poo" thing a year or so ago.  Instead of shampooing, you take a baking soda paste, rub that into your scalp, then rinse with apple cider vinegar.  It actually did work pretty well, but I got tired of it, and missed a nice smelling shampoo.

I also LOVE Dr. Bronner's and use it quite a bit, our handsoap is just half and half Dr. Bronner's and water.  Do keep in mind, though, that if you have hard water, any kind of castille soap like this will leave a residue.  Rinsing with vinegar will help with that.

I love using vinegar on my hair, because it is an excellent clarifier (it will definitely get rid of the excess oil).  If you don't like the smell, you can mix it with your regular shampoo and apply as normal.

*Síocháin*
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 04, 2009, 09:23:39 pm »

Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan.

I will definitely get this book.  I'm going to check the library tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions!

*Síocháin*
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 04, 2009, 10:29:00 pm »

deosil for curing and drawing things towards....widdershins for banishing and pushing things away Smiley

I pray over my food, usually-sometimes I forget. I grow a lot of my own herbs and a bit of veg, but not much at this time-I hope to have a better kitchen garden this summer than I have right now...gophers have trashed it, I'm afraid. If anyone has good ideas for gopher banishing let me know, I am not doing well on that head.

I make curing and supportive potions of various kinds, mainly for healing sick kids and my dh, or myself-i'm pretty good at that. I make my own bath salts and oils and perfumes, and cleaners. As others have noted I can't seem to get with the no shampoo thing, even though curlies like me are not supposed to use it, but oh well. Jeanne Rose's work is really helpful for making your own beauty products.

There are a couple of good yahoo groups on this topic, the best one being here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_witchy_kitchen/ It can be heavy on the recipes, and the email is really high, even in digest, so I set it to no mail, and only read it on the web when I have time. I also like this one http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Crones_Corner/  especially when I'm feeling old and crotchety. Also, Susun Weeds site is pretty good, might be to groovy granola for some of you all, but tons of good info there http://www.susunweed.com/.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:31:35 pm by rose » Logged

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)