The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2022, 01:15:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2022, 01:15:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Respectable Pagans?  (Read 17599 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 18, 2007, 09:33:02 pm »

I'm in the broom closet and am trying to figure out how to tell my parents about Wicca. They are average Christians and slightly conservative, and perfectly 'respectable' people. When I sounded my mother out about Wicca, she muttered something about rock and tree worshipping, crazy, tattooed hippies. I try to have an open mind and don't have anything against tattoos or hippies, but in general, do pagans tend to be what people like my close minded parents consider unrespectable and not fit to associate with, or is that just a stereotype almost as bad as the black-robed, warty which cackling over a cauldron?

Is what I'm trying to ask making sense, and do you see what I mean by asking?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 18, 2007, 09:36:21 pm »

I'm in the broom closet and am trying to figure out how to tell my parents about Wicca. They are average Christians and slightly conservative, and perfectly 'respectable' people. When I sounded my mother out about Wicca, she muttered something about rock and tree worshipping, crazy, tattooed hippies. I try to have an open mind and don't have anything against tattoos or hippies, but in general, do pagans tend to be what people like my close minded parents consider unrespectable and not fit to associate with, or is that just a stereotype almost as bad as the black-robed, warty which cackling over a cauldron?

I'm not Wiccan, but I am Pagan.

And most Pagans I know are either jobless by choice (I'm a SAHM, which is full-time but only pays in giggles) or working real jobs.  Some are underemployed, some by choice and some not.  They're responsible people.

Sure, there are some that are crazy and do nothing.  But you find them everywhere.  Most Pagans, like most other people, have jobs and lives and families like everyone else.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 18, 2007, 09:39:05 pm »

Ha! When I finally get the courage to tell my parents, at least I can show them I'm crazy for believing this stuff. Then maybe *I* can actually believe I'm not totally insane.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #3: April 18, 2007, 09:47:33 pm »

Ha! When I finally get the courage to tell my parents, at least I can show them I'm crazy for believing this stuff. Then maybe *I* can actually believe I'm not totally insane.

Not with Freudian slips like that!  Grin  (bolding mind)

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 18, 2007, 10:50:55 pm »

I try to have an open mind and don't have anything against tattoos or hippies, but in general, do pagans tend to be what people like my close minded parents consider unrespectable and not fit to associate with, or is that just a stereotype almost as bad as the black-robed, warty which cackling over a cauldron?

There are people of all popular religions who aren't fit to associate with -- this is certainly true of Pagan religions (you can find examples on the Net with little effort). but it is also true of Christianity. Fred Phelps immediately comes to mind. Most adult members of Pagan religions work, have families, or both.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 18, 2007, 11:22:41 pm »

Absent

OMG!!!  The newbies are catching Randallisms now!!  Cheesy Grin

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 19, 2007, 12:31:42 am »

I'm in the broom closet and am trying to figure out how to tell my parents about Wicca. They are average Christians and slightly conservative, and perfectly 'respectable' people. When I sounded my mother out about Wicca, she muttered something about rock and tree worshipping, crazy, tattooed hippies.. ..

Uh-oh, my husband and myself actually are tattooed, crazy, tree hugging hippies  Grin

While we have as little to do with the mainstream western culture as we can, I think we are respectable. We work for ourselves, we have three successful grown kids (success being they are very decent, happy people who are responsible and have higher than average income), we actually live by our beliefs and work hard to hurt as few people as possible and promote positive changes whenever we can.

*sigh* Perhaps your parents would be more impressed with the fact I hold a Summa Cum Laude degree from Berkeley, have been commissioned by cities for public works of art, was long listed for a spot on the US Olympic Team (equestrian), hubby is a published, brilliant writer and the business we created brings us a six figure income. That stuff is usually considered respectable. Yet we are certainly hippies and although not Wiccan, I am a witch.

I don't see a problem with being a tree hugging crazy person who believe in magic, but then I do not have to impress your folks with how normal witches are. My mom never really accepted it, we simply never discussed religion when she came to visit, devout Catholic that she was. But I was out of the house when I told her I was a witch, so it was easier. She just trusted  that it must be okay because she liked who I was and didn't see me jump off a roof trying to fly my broom or anything. It is a tough issue.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:June 19, 2022, 03:47:05 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 19, 2007, 02:15:29 am »

I'm not Wiccan, but I am Pagan.

And most Pagans I know are either jobless by choice (I'm a SAHM, which is full-time but only pays in giggles) or working real jobs.  Some are underemployed, some by choice and some not.  They're responsible people.

I'm one of those self-unemployed people.  (Looks like we'll have the resources to start my small business this summer, cross your fingers for me!)

Pagans in my immediate social circle:  my Celt works tech support for a high school.  His other partner, who is a treehugging hippy (though only semi-pagan; she identifies as 'Reform Jew/Earth spirituality thingy'), is a junior sysadmin for a university.  That same office contains another pagan I know as a senior sysadmin (I think she's getting the title, too); in fact, they have trouble getting pager coversage for Samhain and the Jewish high holy days, but not for Christmas and Easter.  Another works three days a week as a programmer (he was full-time, but decided he liked the free time) and spends his other two workdays on game design and making jam.  I know a few grad students, someone who works phone tech support at another college, a couple of office workers, a clerk at Barnes and Noble, a librarian, a freelance web designer, some folks who do graphics work and cleanup for movies (they just finished Pirates 3 last week).

If we expand that to people I know less well (long-distance or more casual acquaintances) I can add a few military folks, a bunch more miscellaneous office workers in a variety of industries, an office manager, um ....  Right, my training group included a couple of students, one or two self-employed, a speech pathologist, a working artist or two, and a number of folks whose employment status I either didn't know or can't render efficiently.

So, yeah, pagans are people just like other people.  I happen to know a lot of geeky ones, hence the preponderance of sysadmins, programmers, and tech support stuff among the ones I spend much time with.

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 19, 2007, 03:34:07 am »

If we expand that to people I know less well (long-distance or more casual acquaintances) I can add a few military folks ...

Thanks Darkhawk, excellent points (we come from all walks of life) and you also reminded me I forgot my own son!  Shocked

My youngest is Special Forces (Green Beret) Staff Sargent (at least he was, he was just promoted again and I'm not sure exactly what he is now) and has always been Wiccanish but has become very interested in Astaru of late. Here he is winning a medal for sharp shooting, and yes, that is Iraq in the background. If he isn't respectable, I sure wouldn't mention it to him myself  Grin

http://www.secondcityarts.com/Bink.htm
Daecon
Apprentice
Last Login:April 22, 2007, 08:22:35 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 19, 2007, 05:46:42 am »

You could tell them about the late Sgt. Patrick Stewart, killed in action in Afganistan.  His widow fought to have a wiccan pentagram engraved on his tombstone.  There are actually a substantial number of pagan military personel.

BTW. no tatoos or piercings here, and I'm a department manager.
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 19, 2007, 08:06:32 am »

From a mostly non-Pagan perspective here...

When I first came to the Cauldron (in the ignorance of youth  Tongue) I was actually a bit surprised at how normal people were in general. People would talk about jobs, families, the news, gardening, even recipes -- none of which I recall involving toads.  Wink

Yep yep. Perfectly sane and normal people here. Except Shadow, of course -- take a look inside her head.  Tongue *runs*

Maybe, if you have out-of-the-closet Pagan friends who aren't the tree-hugging hippie stereotype, you could introduce them to your parents, without telling them that they're Pagans until later.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 19, 2007, 08:08:31 am »

*sigh* Perhaps your parents would be more impressed with the fact I hold a Summa Cum Laude degree from Berkeley, have been commissioned by cities for public works of art, was long listed for a spot on the US Olympic Team (equestrian), hubby is a published, brilliant writer and the business we created brings us a six figure income. That stuff is usually considered respectable. Yet we are certainly hippies and although not Wiccan, I am a witch.

Please teach me how I can attain that kind of life, senseiGrin

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 19, 2007, 08:12:27 am »

Absent

Ohhhh nooooo!  It's an epidemic!

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: April 19, 2007, 08:21:33 am »

Yep yep. Perfectly sane and normal people here. Except Shadow, of course -- take a look inside her head.  Tongue *runs*

Hey!  I resemble that remark! Cheesy

besides, I might not be sane, but I'm fairly respectable. Tongue

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 19, 2007, 08:26:53 am »

lol, thanks everyone. I feel a bit more confident now. Unfortunately, I don't have any pagan friends, so there's no one I can show to my parents and say "See? They're perfectly decent AND they're pagan!"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.