The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 26, 2022, 10:45:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2022, 10:45:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Idiots Guides?  (Read 12269 times)
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 02, 2009, 01:34:28 am »

There is a store near me which caters to many Pagan practices... full of herbs, candles, stones, books, tarot cards, you get the idea. Unlike some of the other "new age" stores, she (the owner) is very particular on what types of things she will put in her store. She does not cater to teens inspired by The Craft and will even talk with people and give them spiritual advice about their path or give them suggestions on things they can do or decent books to read. From what I gather, she even teaches. While I have a decent knowledge of my path, a friend whom I was in the store with is often confused about hers, though she has been trying to study Wicca for several years. The owner of the store suggested she read "The Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" (and also "The Idiots Guide to Paganism") and says it is the book she uses to teach her beginners, and the first book she should read before reading any others. I tended to shy away from the Idiots books because, well, they never occurred to me to be a decent reference book. Has anyone read those books or agree that would be a good starting point for her? I bought one and she bought they other so we could swap (I bought them specifically to compare to other books I have read to verify information).

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: January 02, 2009, 07:23:59 am »

I tended to shy away from the Idiots books because, well, they never occurred to me to be a decent reference book. Has anyone read those books or agree that would be a good starting point for her?

I haven't read them, but I seem to recall hearing that the Wicca/Witchcraft one at least was better than you'd expect.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 02, 2009, 07:43:18 am »

I tended to shy away from the Idiots books because, well, they never occurred to me to be a decent reference book. Has anyone read those books or agree that would be a good starting point for her?

While I haven't read the two that the store owner recommended, I just finished the Shamanism one. I found it very informative, and the information contained in it to be on par with the other books I've read on Shamanism.

I bought my daughter the one about meditation a while back. I haven't read it myself yet (she took it off to college with her), but someone I trust told me it gave good basic information.

Not sure how much that helps, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one on a subject I was interested in.

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 02, 2009, 08:36:41 am »

"The Idiots Guide to Paganism"

I own it.  Which, in itself, is not a particularly significant endorsement, but I didn't find anything in it to complain about.  It is a very generic and objective overview, professionally done.  Some emphasis on Shamanism.  Come to think of it, I need to read it again.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 02, 2009, 08:48:29 am »

The owner of the store suggested she read "The Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" (and also "The Idiots Guide to Paganism") and says it is the book she uses to teach her beginners, and the first book she should read before reading any others.

I haven't read either, but I have heard from sources I consider reliable that The Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft, at least, is an okay 101 book.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 02, 2009, 10:27:35 am »

"The Idiots Guide to Paganism"

This is one of the first books on the subject I bought.  It is good for basic, general overview.

It is also on the recommended reading list for ADF.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 02, 2009, 11:07:26 am »

The owner of the store suggested she read "The Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" (and also "The Idiots Guide to Paganism") and says it is the book she uses to teach her beginners, and the first book she should read before reading any others.

"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism" was the first 'official' Pagan book I read.  I found it EXTREMELY helpful for that very basic overview, with concept definitions and terms that are used everywhere, particularly online.  I wouldn't say it's a good "Paganism 101" book, but it is a very good "Paganism 001" book.  The sort of book you read before you get to those Paganism 101 books.   While I don't particularly care for the bright orange cover, or the word "IDIOT" plastered on it (hey, I have a reputation to uphold, here!), I would recommend it as good, useful reading for the beginning beginner.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 02, 2009, 03:29:06 pm »

I haven't read them, but I seem to recall hearing that the Wicca/Witchcraft one at least was better than you'd expect.

Yup! I started my real studies of Wicca (not counting my reading of Teen Witch here Tongue) with TCIG to Wicca and Witchcraft, and I'll say it's a an easy-to-read general 101 book that gives you a good overview of Wicca and witchcraft. I would definitely recommend it to someone just starting out.

TCIG to Paganism I have not read.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 03, 2009, 12:17:46 am »

Has anyone read those books or agree that would be a good starting point for her?
I've found them to be fairly good resources on other topics (such as computer programs), but wasn't terribly impressed with the Idiot's Guide to Paganism.  It wouldn't be too bad as a starting point if you're willing to do further research - there weren't many glaring errors - it just doesn't really do justice to non-Wiccan paganism.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 03, 2009, 05:09:42 am »

I've heard the same of Dummies Guide to Tarot as well. And after reading most of it, I had to agree. Plus you get lots of history on tarot and descriptions of several well-known decks.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
kaarne
Apprentice
Last Login:June 14, 2009, 04:07:01 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 03, 2009, 09:13:02 am »

I've heard the same of Dummies Guide to Tarot as well. And after reading most of it, I had to agree. Plus you get lots of history on tarot and descriptions of several well-known decks.

Dummies Guide to Tarot? I can't find such book from the web. It sounds like you mean Tarot for Dummies by Amber Jayanti.

According to this review, the book has lots of harshly inaccurate statements about tarot history. And it is such a new book, nowadays tarot authors should know better. If the review is true, I wouldn't recommend the book for learning tarot history. I haven't read the book myself, so I can't say, how well it teaches reading tarot.
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 03, 2009, 02:44:48 pm »

I don't have the Idiot's Guide or the Dummies books that deal with Paganism or Witchcraft or Wicca. I do have the Complete Idiot's Guide to Celtic Wisdom, which I have enjoyed quite a bit. There is a lot of info in there and they break it down into nice sizeable chunks. I've used both the Idiot's Guides and the Dummies books for a lot of topics and for some reason I seem to gravitate to the Idiot's Guides. So if there is both an Idiot's Guide and a Dummies book on a particular topic, I'll get the Idiot's Guide every time. I don't know why I prefer them over the Dummies books. I just do.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 03, 2009, 02:58:58 pm »

It's nice to hear what you all think of them, since I was wondering the same thing myself...

I like the format of the Idiot's Guides and Dummies books, since it sometimes feels like other books assume you already know something about the subject, and if you don't, that can feel a bit overwhelming. But I'm always a bit wary of those books as well...

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 05, 2009, 08:51:13 pm »

I have a question about something I saw in the Wicca one:

There was a chapter on the different Pantheons, and the author said that you can't mix and match Pantheons. You're supposed to work with/worship deities that are all from the same culture. TBH, that seemed a bit strange to me. Do you all agree or disagree with that?

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: January 05, 2009, 09:07:32 pm »

There was a chapter on the different Pantheons, and the author said that you can't mix and match Pantheons. You're supposed to work with/worship deities that are all from the same culture. TBH, that seemed a bit strange to me. Do you all agree or disagree with that?

To clarify here:  You're asking this question specifically about Wicca, not about paganism in general, right?  (Because my answer for Wicca would be "not a clue", but for paganism in general I'd tend to say "it depends".)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)