The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 05:02:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 05:02:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Glass Temple  (Read 3129 times)
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 04, 2009, 01:07:30 pm »

I was checking out this site awhile ago, and I was wondering how reliable the more experienced members think it is.

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 04, 2009, 02:32:34 pm »

I was checking out this site awhile ago, and I was wondering how reliable the more experienced members think it is.

I'm not Wiccan so I really can't say. Hopefully others will answer soon.
kaarne
Apprentice
Last Login:June 14, 2009, 04:07:01 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 04, 2009, 03:45:41 pm »

I read some parts of the website, and would be cautious with it.

Divination pages: They have chosen to link to a bad guide to runes that has the runes in incorrect order and includes an ahistorical blank rune "Odin".

Their article on the Zodiac confuses Zodiac signs and constellations. The Zodiac signs are 12 equal-sized parts of the Zodiac. There are 13 constellations along the Zodiac, and they are not equal-sized. The author knows only one method (out of several) how astronomers locate stars in the sky. That's not the point of the article, though.

Why don't they list wand as an elemental tool? Strange.

And they think that Wicca is "a reconstructed version of pre-Christian European Pagan spirituality".  As if there would be a single pre-Christian European Pagan spirituality. And I wouldn't call Wicca a reconstruction, either.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: January 04, 2009, 06:14:31 pm »

There are lots of problems with this site. Kaarne listed some of the most obvious ones, but there are more.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Ecuador Ecuador

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 04, 2009, 08:40:26 pm »

Why don't they list wand as an elemental tool? Strange.

So elementals are mentioned in places other than that site? I'm quite curious about them. Do you know anywhere where I could find more accurate information about them? Or was the lack of mentioning a wand your only issue with that particular section?

Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 04, 2009, 08:51:45 pm »

So elementals are mentioned in places other than that site? I'm quite curious about them. Do you know anywhere where I could find more accurate information about them? Or was the lack of mentioning a wand your only issue with that particular section?

To clarify -

Do you want to learn more about the elementals (entities associated with each element: most classically, these are sylphs, djinn or salamanders, undines, and gnomes) or the elemental tools (the tools associated with each element and, through them, with other correspondences within ritual as well.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 05, 2009, 03:42:52 am »

Um. I'd say find another website. It looks like them put time and effort into this website... but a lot of their information is just plain wrong. There is no such thing as a pan-European pagan religion before Christianity really came to power. While Gardner was attempting to reconstruct an ancient religion, it certainly did not apply to all pre-Christian European cultures.

Quote from: The Glass Temple website
They are not vengeful or rebellious children engaged in family feuding, and they care nothing for such things.

Okay, I hope I don't get smited for this... but has this person never read the myths of the Greek Gods?  Cheesy Even a teensy little bit?

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #7: January 05, 2009, 08:02:11 am »

And they think that Wicca is "a reconstructed version of pre-Christian European Pagan spirituality".  As if there would be a single pre-Christian European Pagan spirituality. And I wouldn't call Wicca a reconstruction, either.

I would add that, from my very brief glance over their "what is Wicca" page, it looks like by "Wicca" they mean "eclectic Wicca", as  they're talking about how hugely diverse it is and how some practitioners just do what seems right to them and whatnot, and listing all SORTS of cultures whose beliefs might get incorporated into Wicca.  So even without the pre-Christian reconstruction thing, I'd be a little dubious about their information concerning Wicca. (I mean, I don't have a horse in the race when it comes to whether BTW is the only real Wicca or not, so I'm not saying that's how they should be defining things here.  But I think it's less than accurate to give the impression that Wicca can be almost anything, without any mention of some of the more traditional forms that are somewhat stricter about the rules.)

OK, also, this is really bugging me.  Their page isn't even consistent.  If Wicca is a reconstruction of pre-Christian European Pagan spirituality (whatever that's supposed to mean), then it makes no sense to be mixing in non-European cultures' beliefs and practices as the site claims in the very same paragraph that contains that definition.  Or even mixing different European cultures' stuff, really; when you do that, you create something new, you're not reconstructing what used to exist.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: January 05, 2009, 08:04:44 am »

Okay, I hope I don't get smited for this... but has this person never read the myths of the Greek Gods?  Cheesy Even a teensy little bit?

Apparently not. This site just gets worse the deeper one gets into it. Sad

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Ecuador Ecuador

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 08, 2009, 05:47:57 pm »

To clarify -

Do you want to learn more about the elementals (entities associated with each element: most classically, these are sylphs, djinn or salamanders, undines, and gnomes) or the elemental tools (the tools associated with each element and, through them, with other correspondences within ritual as well.)

Both, but moreso the elementals themselves. I'd like to meet one (or a few...)!

Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 10, 2009, 01:21:17 pm »

Both, but moreso the elementals themselves. I'd like to meet one (or a few...)!

Sorry it's taken a while for me to get back to this - amazingly busy week at work made it hard to have brain together to organise thoughts.

As far as elementals, much of the common information with them begins with a number of medieval and Renaissance works - Paraclesus is the one most often referenced. As you might know, some paths work with the elements, some with the elementals in classical form (that's the sylphs/djinn/undine/gnome), some with something more amorphous ("powers of air/fire/water/earth"), some with guardians of the directions or watchtowers. (And many groups work with some combination of these: for example, my tradition works with the guardians and the powers of the elements, but almost never with specific elementals directly.)

Part of the question of meeting them, though, is like most non-physical entities. What's the goal of them showing up? What's in it for them, and are you asking out of something other than pure curiousity? It's one thing to do a working to meet with an elemental for a deeper understanding of the element (especially if you offer something of value to them - your energy or time supporting a goal they'd benefit from, like cleaning up a local waterway for an undine.) and it's another to ask (or compel) something to show up just so you can say hi, y'know?

As far as the elemental tools: traditionally, in Wicca and various related paths, certain tools are associated with particular elements. In many traditions, there is the personal tool (something used by the individual), and a group tool version (something of particular use in larger workings or with groups).

Water: Chalice (cup) and cauldron
Earth: Pentacle and altar (by which I mean the physical thing all the tools go on: it's a tool in and of itself in some paths.)

The other two are a little trickier: different paths have different associations for air and fire. Some associate the athame and sword with air, and others with fire. The wand and staff are the others. In our group, we associate the athame and sword with fire, and the wand and staff with air (but we have spent a couple of hours going back and forth about it.)

These associations come both from the function and from the energetic uses. For example, chalice and cauldron hold liquids (water), and they both also echo the womb. The pentacle is the symbol of physical manifestation (earth), and is often made of metal or clay or wood (earth-related substances). One can view the athame as shaped by fire (the forge), or as having the discernment and differentiation (of air) - the sword is a larger form of the blade, with some distinct properties. Likewise, a wand can be seen as creative (air) or as the focused direction of energy (more about fire). As you can see, some of this depends on a bunch of other things about how you view the world, how you structure ritual, and so on - some decisions make more sense in some settings.

Deborah Lipp's _The Way of Four_ has a lot more about elemental work, including a number of exercises - if you can get your hands on it, it might be a good starting place for you.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)