The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 01:29:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 01:29:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Waterfall question  (Read 1936 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: January 05, 2009, 09:35:47 pm »

So I'm washing my face tonight and I was wondering: why it is if you are on the "outside" of a waterfall it's noisy and you can't hear, but if you go behind it, it's quiet and you can hear. Anyone know?

(And yes. I've actually wondered about this off and on over the years but was too lazy to ask the question.  Roll Eyes )

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 06, 2009, 02:56:14 am »

So I'm washing my face tonight and I was wondering: why it is if you are on the "outside" of a waterfall it's noisy and you can't hear, but if you go behind it, it's quiet and you can hear. Anyone know?

(And yes. I've actually wondered about this off and on over the years but was too lazy to ask the question.  Roll Eyes )

I don't actually know, but I have a theory...and I'll have you know I went into my bathroom and turned my shower on and off several times to come up with an answer to this question. (When in doubt, test a scale model to see how things work...can you tell my kindergarten class is in science lab this month?  Wink)

I noticed that the falling water itself doesn't seem to make any noise, it's the water hitting the bath tub which makes the sound. Whenever I have been behind a waterfall, I've been in a cave. So using those two observations, I propose this: Maybe, from in front of the waterfall you hear more because there is less material between you and the source of the sound. There is only open air between your ears and the sound waves produced by the water striking the bottom of the falls. When you're in in the cave, there is a lot of rock which could absorb those sound waves, kind of like how the acoustic walling in a theater protects you from the sounds of the theater next to yours.

Just a theory.  Smiley

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: January 06, 2009, 07:50:20 am »

Trust me - go into Cave of the Winds behind Niagara Falls, and it's loud as hell.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 06, 2009, 08:32:48 am »

I don't actually know, but I have a theory...and I'll have you know I went into my bathroom and turned my shower on and off several times to

I think you're on the right track, but I think it's the water itself that insulates against the sound.  The water on the outside of the waterfall is what's really crashing.  When you're on the inside, you've got the thickness of the water to protect from the sound.  Plus, you're kind of surrounded by the water, so you're insulated from it. 

I dunno....
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 06, 2009, 11:23:36 am »

Trust me - go into Cave of the Winds behind Niagara Falls, and it's loud as hell.

Then it sounds like that would be more of an exception than the rule. I know every time I've ever read anything involving a waterfall, it was quiet on the inside and noisy on the outside. Now I wonder not only about that, but why it doesn't hold true in all cases. I wonder if it's the composition of the rock behind it or the shape or both or something else? Hmmmmmm....

sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 06, 2009, 03:03:29 pm »

I think you're on the right track, but I think it's the water itself that insulates against the sound.  The water on the outside of the waterfall is what's really crashing.  When you're on the inside, you've got the thickness of the water to protect from the sound.  Plus, you're kind of surrounded by the water, so you're insulated from it. 

I dunno....

Plus, the water is moving and would carry away any sound waves that entered it, the same way that a high wind does.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: January 06, 2009, 03:23:02 pm »

Plus, the water is moving and would carry away any sound waves that entered it, the same way that a high wind does.

I think that was Randall's guess, too.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)