The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 17, 2019, 08:34:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 08:34:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Managing Energy  (Read 3184 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 07, 2009, 10:06:56 pm »

Over in the Blue Candle Healing spell thread, I promised to come back and get a discussion started about what I (and I hope other people who will chime in!) mean by "managing energy". But starting with some background helps.

Here's how I look at it, which is a combination of my personal experience, some bits of my training, and some general discussions in the broader Pagan community (I'm not sure I can break down easily which bits come from where at this point, though.)

Basic principles (Moving from more evidence based to more belief based, roughly.)
1) The universe is composed of energy, and it functions because there are all sorts of energetic things going on. 

2) We are part of the universe, therefore we are composed of energy too.

3) I can become aware of the energy flows around me. That means within me, and between me and other people, me and various spaces, and me and events or things I do. All of those things affect me in various ways. This is fairly observable in our lives - you walk into some houses, and you feel instantly at home, you walk in somewhere else, and feel uncomfortable.

4) The body tends towards a point of natural balance, if left to its own devices and not meddled with. (However, many many things throw the body out of balance. Illness. Dieting. Experiences. Stress and trauma. Etc.) Also, tendency is only a tendency anyway.

5) Given all of this, I can take some control (and responsibility) for how I feel. I can't control everything, and there will always be variables I can't directly affect (like the weather, or whether cold or flu germs are around me), but I can do a lot to help my body a) stay in better balance and b) respond to specific experiences, including stress, trauma, exertion, unusual experiences, etc.

Possible options

1) Too much energy
This is the classic one discussed in magical settings - you get rid of it by grounding (connecting to an external source that can absorb it). For me, I start having issues with my health if I have certain kinds of too much energy, or don't get rid of excess adequately. (In particular, I get migraines - partly due to the energy, and partly because lack of sleep is a significant trigger for me, and excess energy makes that harder.)

2) Too little energy
This is the one many of us are familiar with - too little sleep, too much junk food with inadequate nutrition, too many things on our plate. Restoring energy can have many forms - but ones that are actually restorative (sleep, reasonable food, rest, destressing, other self-caretaking) are generally preferable to things that mask the lost energy (like caffinated or energy drinks, ginseng, etc. etc.) You can draw in energy via grounding techniques, but this is not always the best choice (again, it masks the essential issue.)

3) Imbalanced energy
A number of magical systems (including some extremely longstanding ones - Chinese and Indian practices, for example) believe that energy flows within us (through different centers in our body), but that it can also become blocked or otherwise interrupted. A number of techniques can help rebalance - anything from herbs, acupuncture, acupressure, exercise (like yoga), visualisation and meditation, toning, and all sorts of other things.

4) Different attempts to rebalance working against each other.
For example, if I am lacking energy, and I drink a soda with caffeine, and I then go and try and have a nap, I'm trying to rebalance my energy - but it's probably not going to be effective. (The caffeine will make it hard to nap.) There are some energy techniques that can be counterproductive, as well.

5) Less than great decisions and choices.
If you know something's a particular trigger for your body, or you have a history of a particular kind of problem, and you make choices that keep hitting that thing, you're going to keep having that problem. For example, if I am stupid about my sleep habits, I'm prone to a migraine, and it's really my own fault when that happens, because I really do know better. It's still an imbalance - and because I'm already sensitive to this issue, it may be harder to fix in some ways than other things (I often struggle more with the sleep stuff than with, say, eating sensibly.)

Challenges with magical and ritual work
The reason we start talking a lot more about this stuff in the Pagan community is because we're often doing a number of things that affect our internal balance (and in many cases, that's intentional: balanced energy is often seen as static energy: moving energy makes it easier to do magical and ritual work - but that means deliberately unbalancing things sometimes.)

We're not the only people who do this - martial arts, music, dance, theatre, and a number of other things people do in the world talk about many of the same issues. As my covenmate reminded me in conversation about this yesterday, we definitely don't have lock on the One True Way - there are lots of approaches and techniques from these (and other areas of life) that can be tremendously helpful. What is different about the Pagan community is a) that we talk more often about it explicitly (not tied into other things) and b) that we're doing some of it in very specific settings which have some particular demands (Drawing Down, for example, has some specific energy implications for the person Drawing Down, and also for support staff for that work.)

Now, I need to be in bed sometime soon, and therefore will stop here, and let you all ask questions and such and go from here.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 07, 2009, 10:44:05 pm »

I hear a lot about people drawing energy up from the earth, or down from the sky, or some other such place.  And I'm not very good or experienced at this, so I've wondered: does drawing that energy in actually make one feel more energetic?  If this practice is possible, I should think that I should be able to come home from work tired and drained but then 'draw up' energy to feel motivated enough to clean the house/go for a jog/ect. 

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 07, 2009, 10:46:52 pm »

I hear a lot about people drawing energy up from the earth, or down from the sky, or some other such place.  And I'm not very good or experienced at this, so I've wondered: does drawing that energy in actually make one feel more energetic?  If this practice is possible, I should think that I should be able to come home from work tired and drained but then 'draw up' energy to feel motivated enough to clean the house/go for a jog/ect. 
Yes. And for me, anyway, when drawing from the earth, the energetic feeling isn't that caffeine-jittery feeling but a calm, clean, refreshed one.

Although, I suppose I'm not quite "drawing up" energy, but sort of cycling my own, filtering it. If that makes sense. So maybe if you literally drew energy to add to your existing energy you would experience more of an excited sort of energy. ?

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 08, 2009, 07:28:41 am »

To my way of thinking, it helps, and it can be a useful tool - but it doesn't replace taking good care on an ongoing basis, because it still is a sort of stop-gap and incomplete measure.

I tend to use it as a way to repair deficiency, not as a way to get surplus (i.e. if I've had a legitimately long and tiring day at work, then I might draw up more energy to get me through the day - but I'm still going to need to go home and rest to really recharge. If I'd like *more* energy in every day, then I need to be looking at longer-term methods that would build it up - better habits, starting an exercise program, etc.

Part of the personal energy work, for me, is learning how much I can actually *do* in a day. Modern society places some really weird expectations on us - many of us think we can work all out mentally or in terms of focus all day, and then come home and do the same thing at home for hours. The reality is, that's not really the way our bodies were designed - we were designed for a more varied set of activities. We also need to adapt for personal quirks (my lungs, for example, mean that exercise is *always* going to be more of an effort for me than someone without asthma and lung scarring, because I'm simply taking in less oxygen. I can't expect to work a full day, and then come home and do really extensive exercise in the same way some people can.) What I *can do is stuff that helps my body and my brain recharge and to slowly heal some of that damage (ideally).

Or, for example, I've just taken over a new job at work, and have been at work about 10 hours a day every day this week so far (and it's going to be more today) for what will probably be a 55 hour work week. My body's feeling it - I woke up achy this morning. Grounding and centering practice will help - but it's not going to make everything all better.

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 08, 2009, 10:50:33 am »

Modern society places some really weird expectations on us - many of us think we can work all out mentally or in terms of focus all day, and then come home and do the same thing at home for hours. The reality is, that's not really the way our bodies were designed - we were designed for a more varied set of activities.
*snort* Yeah, tell me about it.  Roll Eyes My down time is *very* important to me, and it seems I need (or maybe just take. ha) more of it than a lot of people I know. My mom's all but called me selfish for doing so much relaxing. But crap that needs done, gets done. And you know what, at the end of the day I am *happy* and not stressed. And to quote Martha Stewart, "It's a good thing." lol.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 08, 2009, 12:24:36 pm »

*snort* Yeah, tell me about it.  Roll Eyes My down time is *very* important to me, and it seems I need (or maybe just take. ha) more of it than a lot of people I know. My mom's all but called me selfish for doing so much relaxing. But crap that needs done, gets done. And you know what, at the end of the day I am *happy* and not stressed. And to quote Martha Stewart, "It's a good thing." lol.

As long as it works for you, that should be what matters. I don't think it's any different than needing more alone time, or needing more sleep, or requiring more calories than average to feel balanced. It sometimes feels to me like modern society has a lot of "norms" that very few people actually fit into comfortably, such as working long hours, having a certain personality type, being comfortable in certain situations, etc, and then it has some not so nice ideas about people who don't fit it.

The way I see it, if you are actually in tune enough with your body to know what you need and what works for you, that will help you a lot more in the end than fitting into some ideal that only is appropriate for certain personality types.

But then, there are people who take it too far and do things that wouldn't be healthy for anyone and justify it by saying that's what they need or prefer.

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Ecuador Ecuador

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 08, 2009, 06:30:46 pm »

We also need to adapt for personal quirks (my lungs, for example, mean that exercise is *always* going to be more of an effort for me than someone without asthma and lung scarring, because I'm simply taking in less oxygen. I can't expect to work a full day, and then come home and do really extensive exercise in the same way some people can.) What I *can do is stuff that helps my body and my brain recharge and to slowly heal some of that damage (ideally).

There is something I have been curious about. I will start by saying I ask this with all due respect. Would you ever consider using magick/energy to get rid of that "quirk" completely? Or does it just not work that way? I do not know much about magick, I will admit, but I would like to hope that there are ways of getting rid of medical conditions, even ones that don't respond to mundane medicine. I have to admit, part of the reason I wanted to learn magick (but by all means not the only or even the main one) was to get rid of my medical condition.

Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 08, 2009, 08:26:08 pm »

There is something I have been curious about. I will start by saying I ask this with all due respect. Would you ever consider using magick/energy to get rid of that "quirk" completely? Or does it just not work that way? I do not know much about magick, I will admit, but I would like to hope that there are ways of getting rid of medical conditions, even ones that don't respond to mundane medicine. I have to admit, part of the reason I wanted to learn magick (but by all means not the only or even the main one) was to get rid of my medical condition.

I think it's possible for magical work (and other kinds of work) to help. But I also think it's less than realistic to think it's going to *fix* all medical problems.

And I think that for two reasons.

One is that there's very little evidence that it works. Is trying to make it go away really the best use of my time and energy? Personally, I'd rather be doing all the other things I'm doing - and occasionally coping with the issues my lungs place on me.

(I mean, I'll never scuba dive, and I regret that. But most of the rest of the things I'd really like to do, I can adapt for in some way. )

Second is that even if it *did* work, it'd take substantial focus and attention for an extended period of time, with a very clear idea of exactly what the problem is, and what the needed fix is. (And especially in the case of asthma and allergies, modern medicine still has a relatively poor idea of exactly what's going wrong. They know that certain symptoms occur, and some of the causes like inflammation - but it's often still unclear exactly what makes it stop. Same deal with migraines, which I've also had very good luck controlling, and which I honestly find a lot more intrusive into daily life than the asthma was, most of the time.)

I think it's far easier to *mask* problems than it is to fix them - and I don't like the lying to myself that masking them involves. (I'm the kind of person who, if I take an over the counter pain killer will let myself go without until I get a good baseline on the pain level, rather than taking more immediately.)

Could I use magic to convince my body that my lungs or my migraines weren't a problem? Probably. Is that a smart move? I really don't think so. I think my body would violently object at some point in there, and possibly do quite permanent damage. I do know I don't want to take that risk.

And third, while I don't think that we're given illnesses for a reason, I do think that there are things to learn from how our bodies respond to stress, illness, or strain. Asthma's often called 'the magician's disease' because a number of well known occultists (Crowley, Gardner, etc.) were asthmatics. (This is part of why I'm not sure magic's a functional solution, because I'm pretty sure they'd have tried if it were feasible.)

But what does it do to the body? It means you sit down more - so you may have more time to think, reflect, etc. than someone who is constantly outdoors hiking, or dancing, or doing other things that demand lots of lung capacity. It may mean you're more attentive to your breathing patterns than someone without asthma, so you are more aware of how breathing changes affect you. Who knows.

I don't think there's one single answer for everyone, but I do look at what I can take away from it that's a benefit, rather than dwelling on the stuff I can't do. (One thing I took away from the migraines was the idea that I absolutely had to take care of myself, because if I didn't, it was going to hurt a lot. The more I internalise that idea (and not just physically, but emotionally, my social community, etc.), the better my life gets. Who knew?)

This all comes back to my basic idea: I will use herbs - and magical techniques, at times - to support my body, and to reduce the strain of asthma and lung issues. But at the same time, I'm realistic, and I look at what I can do, get creative to reduce the things I can't do, and go from there.

I'd ask you - and this is something I think most people with chronic medical conditions struggle with - what is it that you wish you could do, except for the issues you have? What can you do to bring those things into possibility - in at least some form - anyway?

One of my best friends struggles with a host of serious medical issues. Telling her she could magic them away would be, frankly, insulting - because it implies it's all her fault she hurts and is sick. (Some of them are from childhood injuries, to boot.) What she's done, though, is used magic to transform her life, and to become an amazing artist and creator - something she would not seriously have considered when she was healthier and able to be more physically active (among other things, she uses her art as a pain management technique.

Her art's touched many other lives, and done a lot of healing and joy and magic, and her life has a lot of wonderful things in it. Would I have her not sick and not hurting, if I could? Absolutely. But if it meant giving up the impetus for the art? Ooh, boy, that's a much trickier question. And I honestly don't think she'd want to answer that one either.

Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Ecuador Ecuador

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 08, 2009, 09:20:53 pm »

I'd ask you - and this is something I think most people with chronic medical conditions struggle with - what is it that you wish you could do, except for the issues you have? What can you do to bring those things into possibility - in at least some form - anyway?

I used to climb mountains when I was in high school, and I absolutely loved it. I was the sort of person who could do pretty much anything I wanted to, physically, as long as it didn't involve actual coordination. I was strong and proud of it. I want to climb another mountain someday, particularly since I now live in a country where they are everywhere. All that disappeared within a matter of weeks. I was at a party one night and for no explainable reason, I was suddenly terrified. I had this unshakeable feeling that something bad was about to happen to me. After that, I started being short of breath, and it got worse every day, until 2 weeks later, I was in the ER. Before that party, I had no idea anything could possibly be wrong with me.

I want to be able to go on dates without worrying about what I'll do if I have an attack and suddenly have to disappear for ten minutes to take care of it. I've never really been much of a man magnet, because I was always really awkward in social situations, and this makes it even more awkward.  And what the heck do I do once the relationship becomes sexual?

I thought I wouldn't be like this until I was much older. I really just want to be a normal 26-year-old woman.

And, perhaps most importantly, I want to be someone besides "the girl with asthma." I know that sounds weird. But I just can't accept myself this way and I want to be able to accept myself. I have no trouble accepting that other people have medical or mental issues. One of my closest friends has a mental illness that he has had to deal with for a long time. That doesn't change how I feel about him. He's a really cool person, and most of the time, I forget there's even anything "wrong" with him.  I wish he could get better so he wouldn't be hurt by it, but the fact that he has a mental illness doesn't change the way I feel about him. He's still a brilliant musician, and most importantly, a great friend. I have no trouble accepting him. I know it's not his fault and he's doing the best he can with what is available to him. But I can't accept something being wrong with me. Because I don't know for sure it's not my fault. And I don't know for sure it doesn't mean that people won't think less of me when they find out.

Back on topic: How do you work with energy? I've heard of people drawing it out of the earth or out of the air or whatever, but how do you do that? Do you just imagine that's what's happening and stand a certain way and then it does happen? Is it the sort of thing where you honestly believe you're drawing energy into yourself or an object and the power of believing it makes it actually happen?

Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 08, 2009, 09:33:44 pm »

I want to be able to go on dates without worrying about what I'll do if I have an attack and suddenly have to disappear for ten minutes to take care of it. I've never really been much of a man magnet, because I was always really awkward in social situations, and this makes it even more awkward.  And what the heck do I do once the relationship becomes sexual?

My advice. Don't try to hide the fact you have asthma. Sure, some men may not want to have anything to do with you, but asthma isn't uncommon. A lot of people grew up with a brother or sister with asthma and understand the problems and may even know how to help if you suffer from an attack -- those people will not be turned off by the fact you have asthma and hence will make the best boyfriends.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 08, 2009, 11:33:54 pm »

All that disappeared within a matter of weeks.

Here's the thing. Not really. A lot depends on how you take care of yourself, and what your goals are. Should you go climbing Everest or somewhere else that generally requires supplemental oxygen? Likely no. But could you potentially climb another (shorter!) mountain? Quite possibly. Depends on the mountain, what happens with your overall health, treatment of asthma, etc.

Chronic medical stuff is not exactly fun - but it's also not the end of the world. (You have only to look at the number of people on this forum who have serious long-term medical issues to see that!) Many *many* of us have great social lives, loving relationships, and do most (if not all) of the things we love to do. (And honestly, I don't think anyone does *all* of what they want to do - money, time, or other obligations all affect everyone, too.)

Second, asthma is not the end of the world. The feeling of dread you describe is actually a physical response to the initial stages of attack. It doesn't happen to everyone, and it can be scary (and it's definitely a sign it's worth slowing down a little and taking meds or whatever else is appropriate). But it's a physical response to your body realising something's wrong. Just like pain when stubbing your toe is a sign something's wrong.

Here's some stuff about asthma that no doctor ever told me and I wish they had:

1) Lungs take a long time to heal. Like at least 12 months. If you have had a serious attack in the last year, you will be more sensitive to other issues for about that long. For example, after a serious attack (one requiring serious meds, etc.) I'm much more sensitive even to things like whether the air circulation in a building is running normally (rather than turned down for the weekend.) Colds will likely hit you harder. You'll be more sensitive to other allergens.

The good news is two-fold. First, even though you may be feeling like you're reacting to everything, and it's really limiting you right now, that may well go away. (It might not, but chances are good things will get better with appropriate attention.) And second, if you make it at least a year without a serious attack (i.e. only stuff that can be dealt with quickly with appropriate meds), you can avoid becoming that hyper reactive again.

2) That learning to deal with a chronic illness is a process. It's a little like finding a new religion, in some ways - you need to learn new ways to support and care for yourself, and your old patterns may no longer work well. You're going to find times when you take three steps forward, and two steps back. This is okay and even normal.

You might find it useful to look at websites and other resources for people with chronic medical issues. Some of them will probably be more useful to you than others - browse around until you find stuff that speaks to you. Or talk to people you know who have chronic medical issues, and about how they cope. (Of my closest friends locally, only one of the four of us doesn't have stuff that affects daily life choices, sometimes significantly. We're all happy and healthy and contented (and the other three are all in loving long-term relationships of at least 10 years.) But talkign with them (and having friends who understand the "I really can't do that today, much as I wish." when we have to do it is great.

3) You can do stuff to help yourself.
Like I said - I wouldn't expect magic to heal you. But what magic is very effective at is either helping you change patterns (to support your health) or become more aware of how you're breathing and using air in your body - so that you can keep on top of any possible changes that need additional treatment/support. Both of these are very worth doing. 

There's also the mundane stuff. One thing I didn't know (but that makes sense in hindsight) is that lung issues draw heavily on vitamins A and E (fat soluble vitamins). You can supplement those vitamins (or eat healthy foods that have them in) to give your body more to work with. (This explained to me why I have particular cravings for cheese/sushi/tunafish/etc. at times. Now, I supplement when I start having lung issues, and life is much better. My lungs bounce back much faster from coughs.) I've found work with an herbalist very helpful - but it's not as simple as "Take this herb" - there are tons of different kinds of lung issues, and you want to treat the right ones.

First, don't panic and don't borrow trouble. Once things settle down (i.e. the current issues are under stable treatment, and your body begins to heal), you may find that only specific things trigger problems. You can then either avoid them, or medicate appropriately.

For example, I spent Thanksgiving out visiting college friends. I knew that there would be some allergens I couldn't control (late fall pollens, molds in the air from damp leaves, etc.) I knew that I'd be visiting a home with a dog, and staying somewhere with a strange cat (one I'm not desensitised to.) Did I cancel the trip? Nope. I took allergy meds in advance, and I had my inhaler with me. (And used it, before we visited the place with the dog.) No big problems, and very limited minor ones. I had a *fantastic* time. 

My ex-husband (we were together for 6 years, married for 4) was a smoker. I made him go outside - in Minnesota winters - to smoke, because it was the only way I'd be able to breathe in my own home. He still married me - he figured that was part of the deal of being in a relationship with me. (And for all his other flaws, I'll give him this: I don't think he *ever* complained about it to me, not even at the end.) People who actually like you, and who will treat you well in all the other ways that matter in a relationship will figure it out with you. If they won't, be grateful for the advance warning.

(And plus - sex? Not an asthma trigger for most people. Really honest. Various of the sex hormones help, even, because they have an effect on inflammation, blood flow, and other such things. A couple of positions might be tricky or might be a particular turn-off personally because they make you feel too restricted in breathing - but that's easy to work around.)

I thought I wouldn't be like this until I was much older. I really just want to be a normal 26-year-old woman.

That's health for you. I've had migraines since I was under 15 - and that had a *huge* impact on my boarding school and college life, because lack of sleep is a major trigger for me. (And therefore, I couldn't stay up late talking, watching movies, etc.) But really, it wasn't that differetn than for friends who couldn't do something because they had to work, or because they had a paper due, or whatever. Everyone's got stuff. Some of it's medical. Real friends will figure things out with you, and there are a number of ways to enjoy huge percentages of what you enjoy doing - *if* you're thoughtful and attentive to what you need.

On the other hand, if you try to brazen it through, or ignore your body, and hope it'll go away, you're likely to have a lot more problems - and to do things that will take much longer to heal from.

But I can't accept something being wrong with me. Because I don't know for sure it's not my fault. And I don't know for sure it doesn't mean that people won't think less of me when they find out.

Like I said - this part, worth doing magical and ritual work about. And maybe counselling - I don't know if there's someone near you who would do this, but often, in the US these days, health care providers include some basic counselling about having a chronic condition, because of the benefits it has.

Me, I'm coming at it from "I have asthma. It affects my life, and there are times it's a pain in the shoulderblades. But it's only one part of me - just like being short, or having a very efficient metabolism, or being a strong auditory processor, or whatever else you want to pick. I have two choices. I can let those things ruin my life, or control my choices - or I can learn to live with them (and even some of the benefits they have or things I've learned from it) - and get on with enjoying things." This wasn't instant - like I said, learning to deal with a chronic condition is a process - but it's totally manageable.

Here's the other thing. There are people who might dislike me because I'm a witch. There are people who don't want to be around me because I'm smart, or because I read a lot, or because I don't like the same things they do, or any number of other things. I see the asthma as just one more of those things. There are, however, lots of people in the world - and there are lots of them who like me *because* of those same things. Or where those things are just plain neutral, and not a big deal. Sometimes, that's the asthma. Sometimes it's the witchy bits. Sometimes it's the book stuff.

And to bring this back towards topic - all of this stuff is changing how I perceive energy that affects me. I can either get sucked up in the tangles of "What if it were different" or "What are they thinking?" (messy, and tangled, and quite possibly not good for me.) or I can go ahead and focus on clear, smooth, directed focus toward the things I want to do. Much more fun, that second one.

Back on topic: How do you work with energy? I've heard of people drawing it out of the earth or out of the air or whatever, but how do you do that? Do you just imagine that's what's happening and stand a certain way and then it does happen? Is it the sort of thing where you honestly believe you're drawing energy into yourself or an object and the power of believing it makes it actually happen?

The classic starting exercise is to stand (because it aligns your body more clearly with the visualisation) with your weight balanced between both feet, knees slightly bent, other joints loose (not locked), breathing deeply. Visualise roots growing out of your feet, down deep into the core of the earth. Visualise branches growing out of your head and shoulders, reaching up toward the sun. Feel the golden light come down toward your center, and the deep energy of the earth come up - and meld and become part of you.

So, yes, visualisation is part of it. Opening yourself up to be aware of places you're physically blocking energy or holding tension or otherwise limiting things is part of it. And a lot of it is just what magic is - changing your interaction with the world through your will. It's this weird combination of belief (I think this is what is happening) and will (this *is* what is happening.)

In practice, if it makes me feel better and works, and does not do any harm, I don't particularly care if it happened, or whether I feel better because I thought it did (placebo effect.) I'm pretty sure it's the first one (it's a real, meaningful difference in my body, not just me thinking it is) but I care a lot more about the end result than the platonic truth of it.

LostSerenity
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 19, 2009, 04:43:07 pm

Religion: General Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 11, 2009, 02:35:26 pm »

Yes. And for me, anyway, when drawing from the earth, the energetic feeling isn't that caffeine-jittery feeling but a calm, clean, refreshed one.

Although, I suppose I'm not quite "drawing up" energy, but sort of cycling my own, filtering it. If that makes sense. So maybe if you literally drew energy to add to your existing energy you would experience more of an excited sort of energy. ?
I do this as well, so I get what you're saying about the filtering.  I just kind of put my energy out and let the earth take the "yuckies" away, for lack of a better way to put it.  Then I pull it back.  So I don't really take any extra, I just clean mine up to make me feel better, since it gets rid of all the negativity that I've picked up (and generated) over the course of the day.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)