The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 15, 2021, 03:11:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2021, 03:11:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: On the subject of Asatru...  (Read 8596 times)
Jord
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 24, 2009, 10:34:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Asatru

Lover of Truth in all its forms...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 10, 2009, 11:05:40 pm »

The path I have been walking on seems to be a common one.

I've read a few stories lately about people deconverting from Christianity and becoming rather atheistic in their views for awhile.

I've been reading more of the Edda's and also I have been reading more into the Lore of the Gods and seeing which Gods resonate with me when I read about them and what they represent.

I'm finding there are a few that really seem to strike me but the thing that is truly interesting to me is to read just how much wisdom that the old Gods have in their stories about life and other issues.

It's not realistic to expect to get struck my Thor's lightning to believe that he exists, but I am starting to believe more and more as time passes.

It's nice to have a forum like this to talk about stuff like this one. Outside of my one or two pagan friends communication about this stuff is nonexistent practically.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: January 11, 2009, 06:50:19 am »

Jord,

Could you please leave the quote code in when replying to a post?

Thank you,
EverFool

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 11, 2009, 03:16:54 pm »

Whenever I am around my friend...and we talk about the Gods...it feels right...it feels true and it feels real to me. However, I am having a damn hard time getting that feeling for "myself" when I am alone and when there is no one else there to talk to about it.
I want to develop a real relationship with the Gods myself! I do not want to take the word of anyone else to "tell" me about the divine I want to experience it for MYSELF.

I am going to go along with everyone else and say belief doesn't have to happen overnight.  You may want to look into a more personal spiritual path as opposed to a set or pre-established set of beliefs.

It sounds as though you are starting out on a long journey. Don't be in a hurry to get right to the end. What you learn along the way is part of where you will end up.

Stick with U.U. (I am a member) and you will meet all kinds of people there on all kinds of paths. Some churches offer religious exploration classes and other activities concerning personal growth. They can help you see where you may want to go.

Always remember, you are never stuck on one path. If you try something out and it doesn't work, continue on with your journey.

Blessings along your path.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 11, 2009, 03:20:57 pm »

I've been reading more of the Edda's and also I have been reading more into the Lore of the Gods and seeing which Gods resonate with me when I read about them and what they represent.
Ah yes, I totally agree. Something I should have mentioned in my first post - duh! Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
redbaron998
Journeyman
Last Login:August 01, 2009, 12:36:11 am

Religion: Odinist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 12, 2009, 03:46:40 am »

Ah yes, I totally agree. Something I should have mentioned in my first post - duh! Smiley

Oh yes, giving the Eddas a read through is fantastic. Particularly the Havamal, its a wonderful read.

But as other say, dont try to rush through the process. Enjoy it! And although you seem to be really gettin into Asatru, look into some other paths as well. I studyied just about every path i could find before settling down on Asatru and it was great because: 1) I learnt alot about different ideas and thoughts. 2) Understand the people who hold those beliefs better than before and 3) am a more open and understanding individual.

So enjoy the adventure, read some good books, vists some religious sites if you get the chance, and learn a bit while your at it. Smiley

To Teach is to Learn, to Learn is to Teach
Morning Angel
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 16, 2009, 02:16:28 pm

Religion: Heathen

Wisdomkeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 15, 2009, 05:59:04 pm »

It's possible to be an atheist and a Heathen at the same time.  It's more about practices and values than about beliefs. 

Agreed.

A spiritual journey, though, is also possible if you are inclined.

About having a "personal relationship" with the gods, that's feels more like a Christian phrase and attitude to me.  For me, Asatru was first about family and virtue.  (For Goddess worshippers, identification might be first about the Earth or a similar innate and personal belief.)  In striving to live with honor, I found myself studying Northern literature for inspiration.  There I found the audacity of Thor, which allowed me to face difficulties.  I found the wisdom of Odin, and the motherly persona of Frigga.

It was from a practical standpoint, from a desire to live well that I began to identify with gods and goddesses.  The myths provide me with paragons of behavior and belief, just as they did for my ancestors.  When I learn from these stories, the strength of my bond with the past is greater, and when I live the example of an honorable life, from which my sons can learn, I pass that strength to the future.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #21: January 15, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »

About having a "personal relationship" with the gods, that's feels more like a Christian phrase and attitude to me. 

I can't speak to how it fits in with Asatru specifically, but I wouldn't call it a specifically Christian phrase and attitude.  There are plenty of pagans here at TC who have personal relationships with one or more deities.  I'm not sure it's as common in the larger Pagan community as it is at this particular forum (we seem to attract those who have been tapped by deities for some reason), but it's certainly something that exists outside the influence of Christianity.

If the phrase had been "personal saviour" I'd agree with you.  "Personal relationship"...  not so much.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 15, 2009, 09:05:24 pm »

I can't speak to how it fits in with Asatru specifically, but I wouldn't call it a specifically Christian phrase and attitude. 
Not an expert by any means, but I seem to remember reading elsewhere that for the original Northern tribes, it is believed that a "personal" relationship with the gods wasn't expected, like it often is today. As for the recreation of Asatru now, I get the feeling some do and some don't.

Someone correct me if I'm grossly wrong.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 16, 2009, 01:19:49 am »

I guess I have a question about Asatru as well, and I hope this is the right place to post it: In most Norse Mythology books I've seen, it sounds like they believed that eventually evil would triumph over good, Valhalla would be destroyed, the gods couldn't stop it, humans were ultimately powerless, and even if you couldn't win against evil forces, you were still supposed to fight as hard as you could against them. (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong or have misunderstood) Do modern day Asatru believers still see it that way, and if so, how do you feel about that part of the Viking culture?

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 17, 2009, 05:06:01 pm »

I guess I have a question about Asatru as well, and I hope this is the right place to post it: In most Norse Mythology books I've seen, it sounds like they believed that eventually evil would triumph over good, Valhalla would be destroyed, the gods couldn't stop it, humans were ultimately powerless, and even if you couldn't win against evil forces, you were still supposed to fight as hard as you could against them. (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong or have misunderstood) Do modern day Asatru believers still see it that way, and if so, how do you feel about that part of the Viking culture?
I believe you are talking about Ragnarok? It *is* the end of the world as we know it, BUT as the myth goes, some of the gods survive and two people survive and the world rises again from the ocean fertile and green. So it's not a complete destruction, but a chance for a new beginning.

I don't know that the term "evil" was understood as something you should go out and look for and beat down. Bravery was/is very important, but evil is a very slippy word.

I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to say much more. ha.

Jord
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 19, 2009, 05:30:09 am »

Thankyou all for your thoughts and suggestions.

You are definitely right this is a path to be walked slowly and with great attention to the detail surrounding me during the journey.

I do believe you are correct in regards to trying to "Christianize" the Norse Gods. I would by no means do that intentionally...but It would not surprise me if I had unconsciously attached that type of reasoning to it coming from a deep Christian background.

I am quite fortunate at my UU church to have at least 2 other Asatru there. The more I talk with them the more I realize that it is more about the example that the Gods put forth instead of direct divine contact.

I can't help but believe...or perhaps...hope that we can have contact...albeit randomly...with the divine from time to time, but I do believe that the Gods of the North seem to be separate individuals with their own minds and desires.

With that in mind...how can I expect them to just run to me with open arms just because I have a troth book, some poems, and a fresh set of runes? I do believe as I continue to read and respect them that the relationship will come.

I am starting to truly believe they exist...it's a lot different from how I was raised...but the relationship seems to be a more realistic...more "real" one than the kind I grew up in.
Jord
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 19, 2009, 05:30:53 am »

Jord,

Could you please leave the quote code in when replying to a post?

Thank you,
EverFool

My apologies...I just noticed that you said that.

No problem at all.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: January 19, 2009, 05:43:31 am »

My apologies...I just noticed that you said that.

No problem at all.

Since you replied to the thread in general on that last post, I don't think that was a real problem.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: January 19, 2009, 12:10:45 pm »

I believe you are talking about Ragnarok? It *is* the end of the world as we know it, BUT as the myth goes, some of the gods survive and two people survive and the world rises again from the ocean fertile and green. So it's not a complete destruction, but a chance for a new beginning.

I don't know that the term "evil" was understood as something you should go out and look for and beat down. Bravery was/is very important, but evil is a very slippy word.

I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to say much more. ha.

Thanks. I had heard about the two people surviving, but I guess I thought that was part of a different religion. I always liked that story.

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.