The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 04:32:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 04:32:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ease of mind and protection  (Read 2398 times)
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 08, 2009, 01:51:03 pm »

Ok I guess this will be a bit of a story first.  I had supposed friends that always picked on me, and enjoyed punching me a stuff because I never did anything about it.  well lets see... on tuesday these supposed friends decided to perform "again" a duber on me (this is when one person sits to your left and the other to your right" and at the same time start to punch you like crazy! well I was going to have none of that.  I kept avoiding them during study hall, and they where herasing me.  well they left to hind in the bathroom, so when class ended I walked out, and their they come from out of the bathroom and get me up against a wall and begin to start the whole punching thing....... so I decked him the face and gave him a really nasty black eye.  I got suspended on tuesday (lucky principal is on my side) and was made to go home... snow day one wendsday, so I had to stay home today also, and will be going in on friday for in school suspension.... this old friend has already threatened my life and is holding a grudge... he is one of those kids that brings friends along to beat people up.... so I am a little nervous on what he will do... and I have been restless for days! Embarrassed  I just ask for energy for protection and a ease of mind in this situation.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 08, 2009, 03:09:32 pm »

Holy cow, those are some crappy friends!

Have you told the principal, your parents, or any other adult that he has made threats on you life?  Do you feel these are serious threats?  If so you may want to have a police report filed.  That way there is a history in case of future events that may require police action.

Hopefully though, they were just being normal jerks and will leave you alone since you stood up for yourself.  Congratulations of giving him a black eye!  I'm not saying it's cool to deck people but you were only defending yourself.  I think a days suspension was worth it.  You refused to be his victim and that is awesome.  I've met some people who needed to be given a black eye back in grade school and unfortunately, never got one and continue to be jerks.  Roll Eyes

I hope things go okay tomorrow.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 08, 2009, 03:19:01 pm »

Thanks.  I told my dad and he wants to call the principal but I wont let him.... he is supposedly a blood but I dont think he is going to really try and threaten my life in that way.... I think its just smack talk, but I do believe he wants to cause some sort of harm to me lol.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: January 08, 2009, 04:01:36 pm »

I'd make two suggestions:

a) It's worth talking about this.  Even if the principal doesn't take any overt action, I'm sure the school would rather know about a threat.  If I ws running the place, I'd want all the intel I could get. Smiley

b) Have you thought about taking up a martial art?  It sounds like you can take care of yourself to an extent, but it can't hurt to develop further skills.  I know it made me feel a lot more confident after I was assaulted at work.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 08, 2009, 04:07:07 pm »

I'd make two suggestions:

a) It's worth talking about this.  Even if the principal doesn't take any overt action, I'm sure the school would rather know about a threat.  If I ws running the place, I'd want all the intel I could get. Smiley
hmmm I might tell them.... when I get back tomorrow I will be able to see how serious he was about it all.

b) Have you thought about taking up a martial art?  It sounds like you can take care of yourself to an extent, but it can't hurt to develop further skills.  I know it made me feel a lot more confident after I was assaulted at work.
Martial arts really sound like something I would love to do.  We have a "dojo" or what ever its called right here in my town  Smiley  only as a kinda fat kid lol it may seem a little intimidating lol.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 08, 2009, 05:10:18 pm »

Exactly. Trust me, the administration (assuming they're any good at their jobs at all) would much rather know things like this sooner than later. I hear the administrators I work with say this all the time.

Among other things, it means they can talk to you about anything that might help (a change in schedule so you wouldn't be free at the same times, knowing which teacher's rooms would have someone around so you wouldn't be cornered alone, etc.)

People can't help if they don't know what's going on.

And even if you don't get very good at whatever art it is - a lot of the basic training helps you learn how to move and interact more confidently (and in a good dojo, how to defuse situations and tension before they get as far as fighting.) All of those are fantastic things.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 08, 2009, 05:49:51 pm »

And even if you don't get very good at whatever art it is - a lot of the basic training helps you learn how to move and interact more confidently (and in a good dojo, how to defuse situations and tension before they get as far as fighting.) All of those are fantastic things.

I cant remember what kind of art or fighting style this is called but its where you don't fight... you just use techniques to kinda throw their body around using their own force.  I cant remember what its called tho.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 08, 2009, 08:02:31 pm »

I cant remember what kind of art or fighting style this is called but its where you don't fight... you just use techniques to kinda throw their body around using their own force.  I cant remember what its called tho.

Are you thinking of aikido? Tai chi also has some elements of this (and it's often seen as a very defensive art)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: January 08, 2009, 08:58:06 pm »

Martial arts really sound like something I would love to do.  We have a "dojo" or what ever its called right here in my town  Smiley  only as a kinda fat kid lol it may seem a little intimidating lol.

My hubby's a third degree black belt in Hapkido (which is another one of those "let their own momentum work for you" kinds of things, IIRC) and a second degree in Taekwondo.  I love him to death, and I don't want you to think I'm insulting him here, but he's a bit on the heavy side if I'm honest.  He knows a guy who runs his own dojo in a town south of here who, last I saw him, was rather on the portly side.  The point here is:  Not everyone involved in martial arts is going to be all lean and fit and stuff.  It might be worth visiting the dojo (maybe see if they'll let you sit in on a class, or even participate--the one Hubby goes to will let you have one or two "sample classes" free) just to see if it's really as bad as you think it is.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 09, 2009, 06:00:20 am »

Well, I can only go by your self assessment as I don't know you, but...

1) Unless the people at the dojo are asses, they will probably try and make you feel comfortable.  Really the biggest step is forcing yourself to start.  (If you have any friends who would be interested in going with you, that can help keep you committed)
2) Exercise is a pretty good way to trim up.  That'd help with health and confidence, but that's kinda beside the point here I guess.
3) You do not need to be slim and amazingly dextrous to learn martial arts.  Sure, that helps...  but I'm not the skinniest, and I started training in my mid twenties, so I'm not even all that flexible etc.  I can't do some amazingly impressive stuff like crescent kicks, but for the stuff you'd use out on the street?  It's all about technique, balance, etc.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 10, 2009, 09:08:11 pm »

When my son took Judo lessons at the YMCA it was taught as a self-defense class. It was also very inexpensive and kids of all shapes and sizes were there.

Most schools now have anti-bullying policies. Please check into what your schools policies are in that area. And I think you need to stop thinking of these guys as your friends. It might be good to get involved in some activites outside of school to widen your friendship circles.  A self-defense class might be a good place to start to meet some new people.

Best of luck to you.

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 10, 2009, 10:41:40 pm »

hmmm I might tell them.... when I get back tomorrow I will be able to see how serious he was about it all.

I second Jennett's suggestion that it might be aikido. I have old friends who studied that art in the mid- to late-80's and they were very specific about telling us that it was defensive, using the attacker's body and momentum against himself, etc.

My daughters are all taking kyuki-do. Two of them are quite slender; my own daughter (the other two are my "bonus" or step-children) is *big.* They're all doing very well, they all love it, and I can say that at least in my blood-daughter's case she's gotten new confidence in herself. Don't let your size stop you. (One of the students--the father of one of the boys in the class--has to be 6'4" and about 350. And the kids can throw him. Heh.)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 11, 2009, 05:02:59 am »

Good you're trying to get out of the situation! I wish you the best success.

The first thing I would do is to try to get a teacher you trust or can talk to easily to support you. He/she could talk to collegues in charge or give you advice because he/she probably knows how this thing is handled at your school and which steps you should take.

Martial arts is good to help you get more self confidence and prevent violence in the first place because you appear less like an easy victim. But a few weeks of training won't make a Jackie Chan out of you. So I would go for it for the long run, but not expect it to help you straight away to give other people (who might deserve it) a trashing. It's a much better focus for practice to improve yourself and prevent/end a fight the best way you can than trying to be the victor and pay people back who have hurt you. (Because if you are stronger than them in body and character you don't need to give them a trashing to prove it.)

I've once called the police and didn't found them as helpful as I had hoped. Maybe they don't take 18 year old girls seriously (especially if there are no others to testify for you). But they did make an appointment with the guy who hit and threatened me. From what I heard he just got a speech from them. So I don't expect much of the police, but still think it's worth a try if you can't solve the problem with the involved parties in the first place.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
hey bluebird!
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 26, 2009, 04:39:46 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Hellenic Leanings.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 18, 2009, 03:06:18 am »

Ok I guess this will be a bit of a story first.  I had supposed friends that always picked on me, and enjoyed punching me a stuff because I never did anything about it.  well lets see... on tuesday these supposed friends decided to perform "again" a duber on me (this is when one person sits to your left and the other to your right" and at the same time start to punch you like crazy! well I was going to have none of that.  I kept avoiding them during study hall, and they where herasing me.  well they left to hind in the bathroom, so when class ended I walked out, and their they come from out of the bathroom and get me up against a wall and begin to start the whole punching thing....... so I decked him the face and gave him a really nasty black eye.  I got suspended on tuesday (lucky principal is on my side) and was made to go home... snow day one wendsday, so I had to stay home today also, and will be going in on friday for in school suspension.... this old friend has already threatened my life and is holding a grudge... he is one of those kids that brings friends along to beat people up.... so I am a little nervous on what he will do... and I have been restless for days! Embarrassed  I just ask for energy for protection and a ease of mind in this situation.

I send you prayers and energy, hopefully some protection as well. However, you need to take the mundane steps to ease your suffering. You should talk to your parents, principal, or other trusted adult who happens to be in authority. This kind of bullying is not to be ignored. Especially if someone is threatening your life. This kind of violence does not need to be ignored. Please be sure to take care of yourself, because no matter how many people send you prayers, energy, and protection, it will not work if you do not take the mundane steps to procur your own safety.
Midnightrider
Journeyman
Last Login:January 21, 2009, 06:36:21 am
France France

Religion: Earth pagan (Old Religion)

At the Midnight Hour

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 19, 2009, 11:23:17 am »

When it comes to life threatening situations, you shouldn't keep this to yourself. I agree with the others here that you'd best discuss this with the authorities, you parents or even the principal. Learning a martial art such as judo helps considerably (it did my son, who had similar problems in middle school).

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and meditations. 

"Let your love be like the misty rain, coming softly but flooding the river."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)