The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 02, 2020, 10:28:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 10:28:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Need help finding a path  (Read 3161 times)
Tais
Last Login:January 17, 2009, 11:11:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: unknown

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 10, 2009, 12:56:18 am »

A few days ago I had a dream that some nameless, faceless power was telling me that I had to figure out what god/goddess I align with and I have to figure it out now!  It was a very powerful and vivid experience and I was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar happen to them and if so, how they went about figuring out how to start.

Currently, I feel that something is out there but I have no face or name to put to the feeling of power.  (I'm sure that's a common thing to hear...  Undecided)  I've read up on some gods and goddesses (before this happened) and I've never felt that click with any of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 10, 2009, 01:53:51 am »

Look at your mundane physical and emotional life. What are the aspects of the world that are most present within your actual life. Knowing this can help to know in which direction to start looking. It can help you understand why a path resonates with you or not.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 10, 2009, 02:03:20 am »

A few days ago I had a dream that some nameless, faceless power was telling me that I had to figure out what god/goddess I align with and I have to figure it out now!  It was a very powerful and vivid experience and I was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar happen to them and if so, how they went about figuring out how to start.

Currently, I feel that something is out there but I have no face or name to put to the feeling of power.  (I'm sure that's a common thing to hear...  Undecided)  I've read up on some gods and goddesses (before this happened) and I've never felt that click with any of them.

Are there any particular myths that resonate with you? When you look through a book on world mythology are there certain cultures that jump out at you or ones that you linger over, myths that you enjoy reading over and over? Did you grow up, as I did, reading "National Geographic" and become fascinated with the archaeology of certain ancient cultures? When you're riding around your town do you suddenly see brand names leaping out at you, like Mercury or hear songs like "I'm Your Venus" being repeatedly played on the radio (I'm just picking the Greek deities here because they were the first ones who came to mind)? Do you have dreams about a certain kind of landscape or find yourself longing to travel to a particular country, even one that is not representative of your ancestry?

The God/desses often will send you subtle hints, rather than hit you over the head with the equvalent of a 2x4.

I first met the Goddess Rhiannon in my teens. I was always horse crazy, read books about them, collected models of them, etc. I would also have dreams about them. The song "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac was popular at the time. This was back when Stevie Nicks used to say before she sang the song, "This is a song about a Welsh witch." I read everything I could about witchcraft, which back then only amounted to the history of the witch trials, since witchcraft and Wicca were not popular yet. But I couldn't find anything about Rhiannon. I instinctively knew that Rhiannon was a Goddess, so I turned to Welsh mythology and there She was. A little after that I discovered Evangeline Walton's novels about Her. I was drawn to Her and She let me know that I was to follow Her. And I have never looked back. Like I said, subtle clues here and there.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Tais

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 10, 2009, 11:33:31 am »

Are there any particular myths that resonate with you? When you look through a book on world mythology are there certain cultures that jump out at you or ones that you linger over, myths that you enjoy reading over and over? Did you grow up, as I did, reading "National Geographic" and become fascinated with the archaeology of certain ancient cultures? When you're riding around your town do you suddenly see brand names leaping out at you, like Mercury or hear songs like "I'm Your Venus" being repeatedly played on the radio (I'm just picking the Greek deities here because they were the first ones who came to mind)? Do you have dreams about a certain kind of landscape or find yourself longing to travel to a particular country, even one that is not representative of your ancestry?

Thank you, this is very helpful.  Smiley  I always think I'm not very good at picking up subtle hints and when I see patterns start to form I always seem to dismiss them.  I'll try harder to keep my eyes and ears open.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #4: January 10, 2009, 12:41:31 pm »

Thank you, this is very helpful.  Smiley  I always think I'm not very good at picking up subtle hints and when I see patterns start to form I always seem to dismiss them.  I'll try harder to keep my eyes and ears open.

Mmh, maybe this is the reason, why the power wants you to find out here and now?
It maybe that it is important for you to learn to listen and see.

(Just crossed my mind.)

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Tais

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 10, 2009, 01:16:40 pm »

Mmh, maybe this is the reason, why the power wants you to find out here and now?
It maybe that it is important for you to learn to listen and see.

(Just crossed my mind.)

Oh, wow. I didn't even think of that!  I can be pretty oblivious... so maybe you're right.
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 10, 2009, 05:52:07 pm »

What I am doing right now (And I'll let you know later if it actually works) is I am finding things in nature and in my life that I am particularly attracted to. I've always enjoyed the sea, for instance. And the night sky. And cats. And the changing of seasons. And music.

Now, I'm in the process of trying to find out about deities associated with those things. Like I recently found out that the Goddess Nuit(or Nut) is associated with the night sky, so maybe she would be a good one for me to study.

Once I feel like I have enough preliminary information about various gods and goddesses associated with things I am drawn to, I will research rituals to introduce myself. What happens after that is anyone's guess.  Grin

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 12, 2009, 09:41:15 am »

I'd been reading about many Goddesses and Gods for quite some time, mostly a myth here, and story there, and I knew the basics. It really wasn't until recently through a venture through another book where I read about Cerridwen and felt completely drawn to her, more so than any deity I had ever crossed paths with. I, too, have had dreams, seen figures through meditation, but never knew who it actually was. I haven't necessarily... "confirmed" it was her - not yet anyways. But something about her just feels right, so I am going to go with it, and find out as much as I can about her. Perhaps the same process could work for you. Read up a bit about different Gods and Goddesses and see if any of them "stick out" or any that you feel drawn to, this could be a good start in finding out who your faceless figure could possibly be. There are some websites that give basic descriptions of Gods and Goddesses, that could be a good place to start reading into. Tongue

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)