The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 07, 2022, 06:59:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2022, 06:59:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hello... New Witch Here...  (Read 8133 times)
LYKOURGOS
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 22, 2007, 12:47:43 am
United States United States

Religion: Hekatoi (Witch)

Child of Hekate

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 19, 2007, 11:12:20 pm »

I have friends who term me "Pagan," "Wiccan," etc. even though I've made it clear I prefer the term "Witch."

It's like a "binky" (baby blanket)... you get attached to certain terms after a period of time.  The only term I refuse to allow to be called and almost blow a fuse at is "Warlock."

Μάιος οι Θεοί σας ευλογεί
(May the Gods bless you!)

Previously known as )O( Night.Wolf )O(

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: April 20, 2007, 07:56:54 am »

I have friends who term me "Pagan," "Wiccan," etc. even though I've made it clear I prefer the term "Witch."

It's like a "binky" (baby blanket)... you get attached to certain terms after a period of time.  The only term I refuse to allow to be called and almost blow a fuse at is "Warlock."

Night Wolf, can you please use the quote function?

It helps us track who it is you're replying to.  Thanks. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
LYKOURGOS
Senior Apprentice

Child of Hekate

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 20, 2007, 08:38:05 am »

Night Wolf, can you please use the quote function?

It helps us track who it is you're replying to.  Thanks. Smiley

Sorry, in the past I've rarely used the "quote function"... but I'll do my best to try to remember that from now on. Smiley

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: April 20, 2007, 08:44:03 am »

Sorry, in the past I've rarely used the "quote function"... but I'll do my best to try to remember that from now on. Smiley

We require it here because using the quote button for replies makes SMF provide a link to the message being replied to -- the closest thing we can get to the way Beehive software threads messages. This way we can always find exactly what message is being replied to simply by clicking on the link at the start of the quote. 

Second, if people have to use the quote button to reply, it pretty much forces them to make each reply a new message instead of combining a much of replies to different messages in a single message.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LYKOURGOS
Senior Apprentice

Child of Hekate

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 20, 2007, 08:59:10 am »

We require it here because using the quote button for replies makes SMF provide a link to the message being replied to -- the closest thing we can get to the way Beehive software threads messages. This way we can always find exactly what message is being replied to simply by clicking on the link at the start of the quote. 

Second, if people have to use the quote button to reply, it pretty much forces them to make each reply a new message instead of combining a much of replies to different messages in a single message.

Oh! *Light bulb*

Thanks for telling me that, RandallS... It makes much more sense now. Smiley

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #20: April 20, 2007, 08:59:58 am »

Actually...

When you're composing a reply, if you scroll down, there's a list of recent posts, each one with an "Insert Quote" link which functions much the same as the Quote button (inserts the post text, quoted, with the necessary link back to the quoted post).  By using this functionality it's possible to reply to, and properly quote/link to, multiple people in one reply.  Unlike Beehive, however, they are properly quoted and linked, and threading (such as it is on SMF) is thus maintained, so I hadn't thought it was much of a big deal if people used this option.  Also, the available messages for this functionality only go back so far, so it couldn't be used to make one humongous reply to each message a five-page thread or anything like that.  If I'm wrong and this isn't something that should be allowed, we might want to discuss this in staff areas so we're all on the same page.

The joys of adapting to new software... Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 20, 2007, 10:36:57 am »

Actually...

When you're composing a reply, if you scroll down, there's a list of recent posts, each one with an "Insert Quote" link which functions much the same as the Quote button
I found that - eventually! lol

Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 20, 2007, 11:35:52 am »

My name is Brian, most people call me Bri (my nickname).  I am a 20-year old male residing in North Carolina.  I've currently decided to follow the Craft a little bit more than I have in the past.  I'm definitely interested in researching Hellenism, mainly because I've always been attracted to the Goddess Hekate and the God Hermes.  I guess even when I felt like abandoning the Craft, they stood by me and whispered, "All in good time, my child, all in good time."

I'm definitely excited to be a member here... In the past I've always seen the Beehive message boards and had zero familiarity with that type of message board... so boy, am I ever glad a change was made.  I'm definitely accustomed to this layout.  Grin

Glad to be here and can't wait to meet others around here on The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum.

Welcome, Brian!

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
matthew
Apprentice
Last Login:June 25, 2007, 11:40:54 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 20, 2007, 11:49:33 am »

But actual Wiccans seem to be kind of in the minority, and it seems to me that both Brian and Mathew are talking about Wiccans who follow Greek gods rather than any flavour of recon.  Most of the Hellenic, Kemetic, and Celtic people here seem to be, if not hard recon, still more reconstructionist in their approach than Wiccan.

Absent

I've actually considered devoting myself to a Reconstructionist approach to Hellenism.  But I found it lacking.  It doesn't carry what I call the "Greek Spirit."

I am amazed at how the Greeks were able to use their genius and incorporate other cultures and ideas into their own as if it was their own.  The invented mythology and Gods, as can be seen with Sarapis, and they changed their mythology to add a new God or Goddess, as can be seen with Isis helping Zeus defeat Typhon.  But I dont see that with reconstructionism.  From what I gather, they wish to pick up where the Greeks (or whatever culture) left off, as is.  There will be nothing new under the sun.

But I will admit my of Reconstructionism.  If anyone can tell me otherwise, I would be happy to learn.   :)ignorance in the totality.  Perhaps there is a topic within these forums concerning this?
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #24: April 20, 2007, 02:18:09 pm »

Perhaps there is a topic within these forums concerning this?

There are a couple of Special Interest Groups in which people are trying to take hard-line reconstructionism and modify it for the modern world.  They are trying to keep the academic rigour while allowing room for the modern world as it actually is, with place for growth of different concepts from then to now and also leaving room for UPG/SPG.

This could be what you're looking for.  As I recall, there are groups doing this for Khemetic, Greek, and Celtic religions, each one on a separate child-board.  I can't remember the name of the section, but if you scroll down the forum list they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 20, 2007, 02:24:10 pm »

There are a couple of Special Interest Groups in which people are trying to take hard-line reconstructionism and modify it for the modern world.  They are trying to keep the academic rigour while allowing room for the modern world as it actually is, with place for growth of different concepts from then to now and also leaving room for UPG/SPG.

This could be what you're looking for.  As I recall, there are groups doing this for Khemetic, Greek, and Celtic religions, each one on a separate child-board.  I can't remember the name of the section, but if you scroll down the forum list they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Absent
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?board=59.0

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)