The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 17, 2019, 09:19:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 09:19:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Atheism: A religion?  (Read 15199 times)
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 11, 2009, 04:21:37 pm »

(first I would like to apologize if this is not the right section for this thread, if its not I ask that it be moved to the correct area.)

I thought it would be fairly interesting, to have a discussion on whether or not Atheism or any sort of Non-theism could actually be categorized, or listed as a type of religion?  I mean it obviously takes some sort of faith to follow Atheism or Non-theism.  I even found that their is something called Christian Atheism.  I do not believe that to have something as a religion you must believe in a God or God's.... for instance their are plenty to religions out their that mainly focus on spirits or something.  What do you guys think?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: January 11, 2009, 04:26:41 pm »

(first I would like to apologize if this is not the right section for this thread, if its not I ask that it be moved to the correct area.)

I thought it would be fairly interesting, to have a discussion on whether or not Atheism or any sort of Non-theism could actually be categorized, or listed as a type of religion?  I mean it obviously takes some sort of faith to follow Atheism or Non-theism.  I even found that their is something called Christian Atheism.  I do not believe that to have something as a religion you must believe in a God or God's.... for instance their are plenty to religions out their that mainly focus on spirits or something.  What do you guys think?

Just because you don't need to believe in a deity to be religious, does not mean that you are religious if you don't believe in a deity.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 11, 2009, 04:28:52 pm »

Just because you don't need to believe in a deity to be religious, does not mean that you are religious if you don't believe in a deity.

That wasn't really what I was getting at, I mean, for instance Atheism has its own say Core beliefs, its own institutions, buildings (even congregations that get together)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 11, 2009, 04:41:46 pm »

Well, there are certainly those who are atheist and non-religious.  However, one can be god-less and still have a spiritual path.  That is what I'm currently trying to put together for myself.

Would a spiritual path that addresses the afterlife, ethics/morals, creation, code of conduct, but has no gods be considered a religion?  I would think so, but from a scholarly point of view, I'm unclear.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 11, 2009, 04:46:53 pm »

That wasn't really what I was getting at, I mean, for instance Atheism has its own say Core beliefs, its own institutions, buildings (even congregations that get together)

Atheism as a movement might share structural similarities to organised religion, but that doesn't mean they're identical. In the same way, capitalism has its own core beliefs, institutions, buildings and congregations, but to call it a 'religion' is a metaphor only, because like atheism, it's substantively different.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 11, 2009, 04:47:18 pm »

Well...there's really only one core belief: there is no god/ there are no gods.  That's all the definition involves.  When you're talking about buildings and congregations, are you talking about humanists?  They're really the only group that are springing to mind.

I'll happily agree that there are ways to be atheist and religious - there are atheist Buddhists, atheist Satanists, etc etc.  I just don't agree that atheism, in *itself* is a religion.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #6: January 11, 2009, 04:48:21 pm »

Well, there are certainly those who are atheist and non-religious.  However, one can be god-less and still have a spiritual path.  That is what I'm currently trying to put together for myself.

Would a spiritual path that addresses the afterlife, ethics/morals, creation, code of conduct, but has no gods be considered a religion?  I would think so, but from a scholarly point of view, I'm unclear.

Don't we come across the same problem with 'atheist' like with 'pagan'?
An umbrella term and a lot of different people with very different world views and paths under it.

So I'm sure there are some atheists somewhere in the world who live their worldview in a religious-kind of way, but maybe wouldn't call it a religion? If you go to ask somebody on the street I bet most of them will include a higher power with the term 'religion'. I don't know how many official definitions of the word exist and if they all include higher powers.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 11, 2009, 04:50:01 pm »

I wouldn't call it a religion (I also don't call monotheism, polytheism or paganism a religion), but a religious/philosophical orientation.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 11, 2009, 05:12:55 pm »

Atheism as a movement might share structural similarities to organised religion, but that doesn't mean they're identical. In the same way, capitalism has its own core beliefs, institutions, buildings and congregations, but to call it a 'religion' is a metaphor only, because like atheism, it's substantively different.

I suppose the question is "what in the various differences is substantive, and why should it be considered a meaningful point of differentiation between these things (e.g. atheism, capitalism) and a religion?". I'm not saying that they are religions, but I am interested in understanding exactly why they are not, if not.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 11, 2009, 05:18:25 pm »

I'm with you.  "There are no gods" is a *belief*, a religiously-oriented belief, because there is no way of knowing for certain whether deities exist or not.  However, religion is more than just "belief(s) about god(s)"; it's the whole structure that springs up around myths.  Atheism doesn't have any structure or coherency around the belief, so it's not a religion.   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:24:24 pm by catja6, Reason: quote code messed up » Logged
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 11, 2009, 05:21:18 pm »

I just don't agree that atheism, in *itself* is a religion.

I'd have to agree with you there. It's nothing more (to me) than a description of a belief that there are no deities (and possibly that there cannot be deities (in its strong form), or that there may have been or could be, but aren't currently (in its weak form)).

That said, I have known some atheists that are strongly evangelical in their atheism and who appear to treat their belief with a degree of fervour that appears religious.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 11, 2009, 05:26:32 pm »

I'd have to agree with you there. It's nothing more (to me) than a description of a belief that there are no deities (and possibly that there cannot be deities (in its strong form)

Could atheism also mean 'no god' in the sense that one does not follow or worship a god, but still believes they may exist?

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: January 11, 2009, 05:27:35 pm »

That said, I have known some atheists that are strongly evangelical in their atheism and who appear to treat their belief with a degree of fervour that appears religious.

So pushing a belief on others and/or strongly believing something is the marker of a religion?

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: January 11, 2009, 05:28:30 pm »

Well...there's really only one core belief: there is no god/ there are no gods.  That's all the definition involves.  When you're talking about buildings and congregations, are you talking about humanists?  They're really the only group that are springing to mind.

Yeah, I can't think of any explicitly atheist buildings/congregations/whatever (though I'm sure they exist somewhere).  However, modern universities, f'ex, are definitely institutions of *humanism*, as you said, but that is not identical to atheism nor antithetical to most present-day mainstream non-fundy religions.
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 11, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »

Yeah, I can't think of any explicitly atheist buildings/congregations/whatever (though I'm sure they exist somewhere).  However, modern universities, f'ex, are definitely institutions of *humanism*, as you said, but that is not identical to atheism nor antithetical to most present-day mainstream non-fundy religions.

well for instance we have the Freedom From Religion Foundation it pretty much acts the way a Evangelical association would act.  They put up bill boards and signs and spread literature on why they are right, and such, they are the ones that put up that controversial sign in the state capital about their being no Gods or anything of that nature.

I am trying to think of congregations but I cant find any at the moment (they are probably in small demand anyway)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)