The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 09, 2020, 12:27:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 09, 2020, 12:27:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Atheism: A religion?  (Read 17560 times)
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: January 12, 2009, 04:50:30 pm »

I think that any group that claims to be certain about the existance of God is a religion.  By that definiton Athisim is a religion

I feel I lean towards what you have said.  And also Atheism here in America seems to be more state Sponsored.  Atheistic views are almost solely taught in public schools.  Atheism has got a structure.  The teaching of Morals, doesn't have to be present in order for something to be considered religious... heck Levyan (spelling?) Satanism (if I am not mistaken) has a moral code that pretty much atheists have (do what you want) they dont even believe in the actual existence of a God yet they are a religion. 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #46: January 12, 2009, 04:58:56 pm »

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I spent a lot of my life in foreign countries, so sometimes I forget the technicalities of US law...

It isn't just you, it's a very common way it's discussed in American society generally, and I just springboarded (sprangboard?) off your comment to make mine, since I'd seen other similar comments in that vein in this discussion. Smiley
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #47: January 12, 2009, 04:59:30 pm »

Atheistic views are almost solely taught in public schools.

What do you mean? How is atheism taught?
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: January 12, 2009, 05:00:37 pm »

What do you mean? How is atheism taught?

.......... I think I take that back.... sorry that was a little bit of the old Christian that came out in me, my bad.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: January 12, 2009, 05:02:08 pm »

I feel I lean towards what you have said.  And also Atheism here in America seems to be more state Sponsored.  Atheistic views are almost solely taught in public schools.

Are you saying that public schools officially state that there is no God?  Because that seems slightly unlikely to me.

Atheism has got a structure.

Which is?  Do, please, enlighten me.

The teaching of Morals, doesn't have to be present in order for something to be considered religious...

a) atheism doesn't teach morals.  Atheists can have morals, but the point is that atheism doesn't have any suggestions - there's nothing there, but the absence of belief in a deity.  Atheists have to look for morals elsewhere - by reason, for example.  The *only* belief that is required to be an atheist is that there is no god/s.  That's it.  Nothing else is required.  What religion does that sound like to you?

heck Levyan (spelling?) Satanism (if I am not mistaken) has a moral code that pretty much atheists have

Then you need to read about Satanism.  Try the Satanic Bible.  There are a number of beliefs that Satanists have that do not apply to all atheists.  Just like fundie Christians do not represent all monotheists, Satanists do not represent atheists as a whole.  It's a *small* group, within a *large* group.

(do what you want) they dont even believe in the actual existence of a God yet they are a religion. 

There's a lot more to Satanism than not believing in God (and incidentally, some Satanists do believe there is a God - it's just a minority view).  Just because Satanism can be a religion, and some Satanists are atheist, does not mean that atheists are religious.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #50: January 12, 2009, 05:04:44 pm »

I think that any group that claims to be certain about the existance of God is a religion.  By that definiton Athisim is a religion

So what do atheists have to do to not be involved in religion?  Pretend they're deaf when someone mentions God or gods?  Stay silent so the majority can be happy?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #51: January 12, 2009, 05:22:54 pm »

I feel I lean towards what you have said.  And also Atheism here in America seems to be more state Sponsored.  Atheistic views are almost solely taught in public schools. 

I don't know of any public schools that teach that there is no god.  That's what atheism believes. While various conservative religious groups think that teaching evolution instead of special creation is teaching atheism, it is not as evolution says nothing about the existence of gods.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: January 12, 2009, 05:59:49 pm »

I don't know of any public schools that teach that there is no god.  That's what atheism believes. While various conservative religious groups think that teaching evolution instead of special creation is teaching atheism, it is not as evolution says nothing about the existence of gods.

Yeah I know, I had already took back what I had said.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #53: January 12, 2009, 07:28:35 pm »

I have to agree with you, Randall.

I know INSearch took his claim back, but I'd have to say schools don't really teach anything religiously, if you go to a public school that is not in a highly-fundamentalist area. Not really atheism (as personally I can say I've never been taught that God doesn't exist), just more skirting the issue than anything. Even when discussing history and religion the topic of discussing Christianity or Atheism (or any religion, really) never came up (until my senior year of high school).

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Halstrom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 04:42:20 pm

Religion: Seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: January 12, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »

I thought it would be fairly interesting, to have a discussion on whether or not Atheism or any sort of Non-theism could actually be categorized, or listed as a type of religion?  I mean it obviously takes some sort of faith to follow Atheism or Non-theism.  I even found that their is something called Christian Atheism.  I do not believe that to have something as a religion you must believe in a God or God's.... for instance their are plenty to religions out their that mainly focus on spirits or something.  What do you guys think?

Atheism is not a religion. It is simply a lack of belief, and thus I don't believe that atheism is a religion. That is my opinion.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #55: January 12, 2009, 08:17:36 pm »

Atheism is not a religion. It is simply a lack of belief, and thus I don't believe that atheism is a religion. That is my opinion.

What do you mean by "beliefs" though?

“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #56: January 12, 2009, 08:30:00 pm »

I know INSearch took his claim back, but I'd have to say schools don't really teach anything religiously, if you go to a public school that is not in a highly-fundamentalist area. Not really atheism (as personally I can say I've never been taught that God doesn't exist), just more skirting the issue than anything. Even when discussing history and religion the topic of discussing Christianity or Atheism (or any religion, really) never came up (until my senior year of high school).

That depends on exactly what you mean by "anything religiously".  My school (public high school in a religiously conservative but not fundamentalist area) did touch on religion in a history class that was open at least as far down as sophomore year (which was when I took it), covered the Bible as literature in sophomore year, and covered a number of other religious texts from ancient cultures (including but not limited to a reprise of the Bible--both testaments, IIRC--the Koran, the Rig Veda, the Upanishads (sp?), etc., as well as some mythology from at the very least the Norse, the Greeks and I think the Romans) in World Literature senior year.  All of that was done from a strictly academic perspective; none of it was instructional in terms of telling us how we should believe or worship, and it never really got even to the level of comparative religion or anything like that.  It was just a very basic "here's this culture, here's what they believed".  But it was, strictly speaking, teaching about religious materials.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #57: January 12, 2009, 11:50:55 pm »

While we're talking about separation of church and state...in the US, it's supposed to exist, and for the most part it does, imo. But I still see a lot of religious people voting for people from a similar religious background as theirs. 

As I understand it, this separation covers what the government is allowed to do.  Private citizens could vote for somebody because they have a similar fashion sense, if they want, let along being from a similar religious background.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #58: January 13, 2009, 01:08:42 am »

I'd have to say schools don't really teach anything religiously, if you go to a public school that is not in a highly-fundamentalist area.

We're in the Washington, DC metro area, which is not a hotbed of fundie-ism.  Both my kids' middle school and high school did not teach anything religious in their classes EXCEPT in the chorus classes.  Christian music (especially gospel) has been the prevalent music performed every year.  Daughter1's middle school chorus teacher even used a piece of Christian music as a warm-up every day.  This made Daughter1 extremely uncomfortable to the extent that we had to get her exempted from singing the Christian music.  The problem there, though, was that she literally had to walk off stage for the Christian pieces and re-enter for the secular pieces.  And, since there was much more Christian music performed, she was offstage more often than on.

That experience was pretty hard on her, and angered my husband and me.  I have always been surprised that the school would not bend and reduce the amount of religious music.

Similarly, the high school concert choir sings almost exclusively Christian gospel music.  Daughter1 did not participate in chorus in high school primarily because of her negative experience in middle school.

So, yeah, the schools might not be actively teaching Christianity, but Christianity does seem to permeate the schools.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #59: January 13, 2009, 03:24:33 am »

By anything religiously.. I pretty much mean anything. Religion was brought up just as a passing point in history class, thats about it. "Group X was Christian. They came from the Old World..." and thats about it. I wish I'd've gone to your school! Smiley

I realize now that I was perhaps being a bit far too broad, so I apologize. I'll try rephrasing what I said later, as I can't seem to come up with the proper words at the moment. Sorry. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)