The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2021, 10:37:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2021, 10:37:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dreaming of someone who has died  (Read 22493 times)
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 17, 2009, 12:53:00 am »

I had a dream last night that someone I knew who died 6 months ago visited me and told me he hadn't really died. I don't remember much, just that he looked so peaceful and happy in the dream, just like he did when he was alive (after he died, I was unable to attend his funeral, and I apologized to him. After that, I had a very strong sense that he was in a better place and he was ok and that I didn't need to be afraid of dying)...and I also remember he asked my sister for a bar of scented glycerine soap. (huh?!) When I woke up, I realized I really missed him. I was never particularly close to him, since I met him when I was travelling around the Netherlands and, because of the language barrier, we never really got to know each other very well. But he was a great guy, really easygoing and fun to be with, in his own quiet way. I knew right away he was a good person. He seemed like he had made up his mind to enjoy his life, even though he probably knew he wouldn't live long (he was born with a heart defect and needed a transplant. He died a few months short of his 27th birthday.)

It could just be because I may be returning to the Netherlands soon, and it hit me that I will not see him again when I am there. But is there a chance that he was trying to tell me something? I hadn't even thought of him in a long time, and if he were going to contact someone, wouldn't it be his family or his best friend? (I dated his best friend, but I don't know if that makes any difference...) If he is telling me something, how do I find out?

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 17, 2009, 01:05:31 am »

I had a dream last night that someone I knew who died 6 months ago visited me

I went through the same thing for several months after my Pap died.  I think he knew I was very upset over his passing and he was trying to communicate with me, so I could finally come to terms with the whole situation.  When you dream of your friend, try to talk to him.  Maybe he just wants to comfort you and let you know how he is doing. 

Soap?  Hrm.  I don't know about that one. Smiley

*Síocháin*
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: January 17, 2009, 05:03:41 am »

It sounds to me like you're processing what it's going to mean to go back and not see him.

Personally I once had a dream where I was God.  I generally don't read too much into that one.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 17, 2009, 10:22:05 am »

I had a dream last night that someone I knew who died 6 months ago visited me and told me he hadn't really died. I don't remember much, just that he looked so peaceful and happy in the dream, just like he did when he was alive (after he died, I was unable to attend his funeral, and I apologized to him. After that, I had a very strong sense that he was in a better place and he was ok and that I didn't need to be afraid of dying)...and I also remember he asked my sister for a bar of scented glycerine soap. (huh?!) When I woke up, I realized I really missed him. I was never particularly close to him, since I met him when I was travelling around the Netherlands and, because of the language barrier, we never really got to know each other very well. But he was a great guy, really easygoing and fun to be with, in his own quiet way. I knew right away he was a good person. He seemed like he had made up his mind to enjoy his life, even though he probably knew he wouldn't live long (he was born with a heart defect and needed a transplant. He died a few months short of his 27th birthday.)
It could just be because I may be returning to the Netherlands soon, and it hit me that I will not see him again when I am there. But is there a chance that he was trying to tell me something? I hadn't even thought of him in a long time, and if he were going to contact someone, wouldn't it be his family or his best friend? (I dated his best friend, but I don't know if that makes any difference...) If he is telling me something, how do I find out?

Death is not an easy thing for the living to cope with. I think this dream was a way for you to be able to release any regrets you may have had about what you were not able to do (like attend his funeral and get to know him better.)    It may also have been a way for you to get some closure.   

I would say the bar of soap was just one of those quirky dream images and probaby didn't have a whole lot of meaning, I wouldn't try to give it too much importance.

The main thing is the peaceful feeling that he is okay and that you are okay, and that it is fine for you to move on and to enjoy life.

Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 17, 2009, 01:33:23 pm »

It sounds to me like you're processing what it's going to mean to go back and not see him.

Personally I once had a dream where I was God.  I generally don't read too much into that one.

EverFool, you are God.  Smiley

*Síocháin*
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 17, 2009, 01:35:49 pm »

EverFool, you are God.  Smiley

Lots of people will be much better off if it's just a dream. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 17, 2009, 02:03:28 pm »

Lots of people will be much better off if it's just a dream. Smiley

There is a difference between being a God, and being God. (if I caught Aine's message right)
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 17, 2009, 02:25:58 pm »

There is a difference between being a God, and being God. (if I caught Aine's message right)

I was just joking anyway.  Sorry.

*Síocháin*
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 17, 2009, 03:09:29 pm »

I was just joking anyway.  Sorry.

So was I. (I forgot the dang smily face!)  Grin
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 17, 2009, 03:41:34 pm »

So was I. (I forgot the dang smily face!)  Grin

lol, that's okay.  Blame it on Mercury's retrograde or something like that.

*Síocháin*
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Ecuador Ecuador

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 17, 2009, 11:07:16 pm »

I went through the same thing for several months after my Pap died.  I think he knew I was very upset over his passing and he was trying to communicate with me, so I could finally come to terms with the whole situation.  When you dream of your friend, try to talk to him.  Maybe he just wants to comfort you and let you know how he is doing. 

Soap?  Hrm.  I don't know about that one. Smiley

I think if I recall correctly, my sister was learning to make soap in the dream and he told her he wanted some of the soap kind of as a way of encouraging her. (My friend did not know my sister during his lifetime, nor did he even know she existed. Like I said, I was in the Netherlands for a very short time and there was a language barrier. Plus, I was dating his best friend)

I definitely will try to talk to him if he "visits" me again. I know he's alright where he is, and that he's happy. But I do kind of have some unresolved issues about his death. I wanted to get to know him better, and I also regret some things that happened the last time I saw him. (We didn't have a fight or anything, I just know I would have acted differently if I had know that would be the last time I'd see him. We were both at a big, international party in Amsterdam. He wasn't comfortable speaking English, and half the people there were British, so most people were speaking English. He was kind of off by himself. He looked a little lost. I wanted to keep him company, but I didn't know what to say, so I just let him be. I always felt kind of badly about that. He didn't hold it against me, I don't think. He randomly came up to me and patted me on the arm, and then we kind of smiled at each other. I never saw him again after that. So at least my very last memory of him is a good one, but I still feel badly that I pretty much ignored him all night when I knew he was uncomfortable with all the non-Dutch speakers around)

Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 18, 2009, 12:24:19 am »

I hope you can get some closure about this.  It's rough losing someone and having to deal with "Oh, God, I wish I had done ___ differently"  Try to talk to him even when not dreaming.  You could write him a letter and burn it or simply light a candle and just talk to him. 

He sounds like he was a really sweet guy.  I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

*Síocháin*
Midnightrider
Journeyman
Last Login:January 21, 2009, 06:36:21 am
France France

Religion: Earth pagan (Old Religion)

At the Midnight Hour

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 19, 2009, 09:42:06 am »

If your friend is trying to tell you something, you'll find out sooner or later.

I often have dreams in which my father appears and is very helpful with whatever I happen to be doing in the dream. I also dream about my late parents-in-law. They seem to leave positive messages that what I'm doing or the decisions I have to make are right (they were very old fashioned and felt a mother should stay home to raise her children; in my case I didn't have any choice, but to them it helped my children to become more successful in life than their other son's children). Other times I dream about a special friend who had special gifts. His messages always concern stressing problems; the answers seem so obvious that I'm surprised I never thought about them myself.

To me these special dreams are ways for the departed to communicate with you and sometimes invovle a special message concerning a difficult or stressing situation in your life.

"Let your love be like the misty rain, coming softly but flooding the river."
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Ecuador Ecuador

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 19, 2009, 12:13:46 pm »

So I take it you think it's not that strange for someone I barely knew to try to tell me something after he has died?

Or maybe he also regretted that we didn't get to know each other better.

Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Midnightrider
Journeyman
Last Login:January 21, 2009, 06:36:21 am
France France

Religion: Earth pagan (Old Religion)

At the Midnight Hour

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 21, 2009, 06:05:02 am »

So I take it you think it's not that strange for someone I barely knew to try to tell me something after he has died?

Or maybe he also regretted that we didn't get to know each other better.

The contact made between you and this person could have affected affected him in an important way, thus it became a part of his soul's memory. For you, it could be just a passing aquaintance. This is why I have always believed that each person I meet in life, even perfect strangers I cross in the street, somehow create a kind of invisible contact in this life. If this "meeting" happens at a crucial moment in my life, or the other person's life, or if it affects him/her in some way, my/his/her soul won't forget it.

I like what Aine suggests: you can write him a letter, read it out loud as if he were in front of you, then burn it.

"Let your love be like the misty rain, coming softly but flooding the river."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)