The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 13, 2021, 06:36:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 13, 2021, 06:36:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Suggestion Drive: How Could We Improve The Cauldron?  (Read 18388 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #45: May 10, 2009, 03:03:05 pm »

When we were on Beehive this was easily done, and is one of the features missed by many of the 'old-timers'.  Here, it is the quote rule which specifies which replies are to whom.  This is a rules thing rather than a software thing, so emails about specific replies to you are not possible.  The software doesn't recognize the quote rule.

However, if you find that the new posts button is for some reason only giving you brand new threads, rather that also giving you continuations of old ones since the last time you looked (which is odd to me, since for me it brings up every new post since the last time i was online) you can click the 'show new replies to your posts' button.  It will not bring up just the replies addressed to you - it will bring up all replies in any thread you've posted in.  This will, however, include the direct replies as well as the rest.

If you are used to something like Beehive this system is a little clunky, but it was the best compromise we could come up with when we got too large for Beehive to keep up with us.  The advantages of the software outweigh the extra steps we have to take for some things, we have found.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Yez
Apprentice
Last Login:June 22, 2009, 01:53:25 am
United States United States

Religion: Daoist, apparently

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: May 10, 2009, 03:21:40 pm »

When we were on Beehive this was easily done, and is one of the features missed by many of the 'old-timers'. 

Aaah!  Thank you!

It may be that the other forum used Beehive, not sure.  (About.com, which is how I knew about Delphi :> )  I've been checking the "Recent" list on the Portal page, but due to the limited selection there, I could miss some slightly-older recent posts.  Since almost everything is new to me, I haven't made much use of the "new" buttons yet!

I do like SMF, though.  F'ex in the editor, I really appreciate the notification that other posts have been made while I overthink my reply :>

I'm getting used to the differences.  I was hesitant to ask, but now I'm glad I did :-)

Black holes are where God divided by zero. - Stephen Wright
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #47: May 10, 2009, 05:06:26 pm »

I'm confused about email notifications.  In the forum I came from :> I could choose to be notified of replies to me, but I don't see that choice here.  Is it in front of my nose?

The board software has no way of knowing if a reply in a thread is to you or someone else. You'll note that the header has a "From" but no "To".  As far as the board software is concerned, all replies are "To" the thread, not to a person. This is how most board software works. The only ones I know of that track "To" are DelphiForums and their clones (e.g. Beehive) although their may be a few others.

Now I find that I'm getting notified of each and every post in each thread to which I've posted.  What am I missing?  Is it not possible to be notified only of direct replies to my posts?  Actually, I know it's possible, elsewhere if not in SMF, so was it a conscious decision not to offer that option?

I assume so. I did not write the software, so I cannot speak for those who did.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
brandonb70
Master Member
Last Login:May 26, 2011, 12:18:40 pm

Religion: Ásatrú/Heathen
TCN ID: Brandon

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

brandon_bourg brandon.bourg brandonb70

Ignore
« Reply #48: July 23, 2009, 06:37:57 pm »

It's January, so it's time for our annual "suggestion drive" when we open a topic and request your suggestions for how TC (the forum, the web site, the MUX, forum rules, etc.) could be improved. We make no promises to implement suggestions, but the Hosts and staff do look at and consider them all.  (And have implemented a number of suggestions over the last eleven years).

How about a place where you can search for members near you. I don't know how fond people would be of that but sometimes just talking on the internet is not enough. To me I would like to meet up with people in my area.

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run. - Hávamál
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #49: July 23, 2009, 08:56:52 pm »

How about a place where you can search for members near you. I don't know how fond people would be of that but sometimes just talking on the internet is not enough. To me I would like to meet up with people in my area.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to implement (or what other issues might be relevant), but there is the Google Members Map plugin for SMF, which seems to allow people to opt in to being on the map if they want to.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #50: July 23, 2009, 10:11:10 pm »

I'm not sure how difficult it is to implement (or what other issues might be relevant), but there is the Google Members Map plugin for SMF, which seems to allow people to opt in to being on the map if they want to.

I can look into that. If it will work with our version of SMF, I can add it.  We also have TCN, of course.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #51: August 08, 2009, 04:14:15 am »

I'm not sure if this will be possible, but is here any way of making it easier for new users of the forum to see which posts they are able to respond to? If you don't know the rules and regs properly yet, it is a bit difficult to know what threads you can join, just by looking at the unread message list.
Thanks, and Gods Bless.
Sharon-Anne.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #52: August 08, 2009, 07:48:50 am »

If you don't know the rules and regs properly yet, it is a bit difficult to know what threads you can join, just by looking at the unread message list.

There's no way to make this obvious from the unread messages list. We try to make the Categories that contain the boards regular members can post in clear in their names, but the unread message list does not list categories.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.