The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 26, 2022, 01:15:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2022, 01:15:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brat Bhride -- A Different Idea  (Read 4883 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: January 19, 2009, 05:57:20 pm »

I've been thinking about the Brat Bhride discussion we had a couple of weeks ago: 
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=7872.msg134358#msg134358

Several of us put fabric or ribbon of some sort out on the evening prior to Brighid's day (so, the night of January 31).  That's the traditional way of doing it.

I'm thinking about putting out something other than fabric this year for Brighid to bless on her way past.  Specifically, a silver pendant.

What do you think about a variation like that?  Too different from the tradition?  An acceptable evolution of the tradition?

Thanks for your thoughts.

~MI

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 19, 2009, 08:16:51 pm »

I've been thinking about the Brat Bhride discussion we had a couple of weeks ago: 
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=7872.msg134358#msg134358

Several of us put fabric or ribbon of some sort out on the evening prior to Brighid's day (so, the night of January 31).  That's the traditional way of doing it.

I'm thinking about putting out something other than fabric this year for Brighid to bless on her way past.  Specifically, a silver pendant.

What do you think about a variation like that?  Too different from the tradition?  An acceptable evolution of the tradition?

Thanks for your thoughts.

~MI

I would think that would be wonderful!

I'm actually going to crochet a small lap blanket and leave it out.  I'd never heard of this tradition before we had the discussion here, but I think it's wonderful!  I'm just going with traditional cloth because I think it would be very comforting...and I tend to want something soft and homey feeling when I'm down/sick/whatever.  If a pendant would give you more of a feeling of comfort, I say go for it!
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2022, 02:15:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: January 20, 2009, 06:24:04 pm »

I think it's between you and Brigid - if it works for you, and if she does bless it on her way past rather than turning her nose up at it (which I don't think she would, I'm just being complete), then there ya go.  'Course, I'm a polycultural eclectic for whom, "the deities do as they will, whether it's traditional or not," is a core article of faith.

OTOH, that's more an answer to, "is it an acceptable practice?" than to, "is this variation still part of of the tradition?"  I think that depends what you means by "the tradition".  If it's the ancient Irish Celtic traditions the CRs strive to reconstruct, it'd probably be better to identify the variation as "inspired by", but if it's the folk custom that persisted (or so I understand, perhaps wrongly) to the present day... well, I'd be mighty surprised if the custom was "pure"; I doubt you'd be the first (possibly not by centuries) to put something non-fabric out for her to bless.

On the third hand (one of the reasons I love the cyberworld is that I can have as many hands as I need Grin), I see no reason whatsoever why it wouldn't be an acceptable part of Feral Brighideach.  There we're back to, "it's between you and Brigid," as is most of your path.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Maggie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 12, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 23, 2009, 03:30:46 pm »

I would think that would be wonderful!

I'm actually going to crochet a small lap blanket and leave it out.  I'd never heard of this tradition before we had the discussion here, but I think it's wonderful!  I'm just going with traditional cloth because I think it would be very comforting...and I tend to want something soft and homey feeling when I'm down/sick/whatever.  If a pendant would give you more of a feeling of comfort, I say go for it!

I also had never heard of this tradition but now I'm knitting a long wide shoulder scarf to put out.  I thought I would like something to wrap around me and keep me warm.  I just hope I can finish it in time. Unfortunately, other life things keep interfering with my relaxing time. 

Maggie

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."                 
                                                       LaRochefoucauld
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 24, 2009, 12:32:59 am »

I also had never heard of this tradition but now I'm knitting a long wide shoulder scarf to put out.  I thought I would like something to wrap around me and keep me warm.  I just hope I can finish it in time. Unfortunately, other life things keep interfering with my relaxing time. 

If you don't finish knitting your scarf, maybe you could put the skein of yarn out...?  Just a thought.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 24, 2009, 08:34:59 am »

If you don't finish knitting your scarf, maybe you could put the skein of yarn out...?  Just a thought.

This is what I'm planning on doing with my (deliberately) unfinished crocheted scarf. I had a thought: it may be an interesting experiment to make the actual crocheting of the brat an Imbolc tradition over the next few years. Every year it will grow longer, and it will still be set out for her to bless, but perhaps the symbol of the ongoing crafting can bring a certain tone to my Imbolcs for the years to come.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 24, 2009, 09:34:13 am »

Sure, try it out!

I don't see it as veering from tradition, but accommodating it.
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 24, 2009, 10:24:41 am »

Inspired by this thread, I've made a fabric doll - somewhere between a Bride's cross and a worry doll - to put outside. It actually looks quite nice, and a cuddly doll could have the same mental healing properties as a warm scarf..

Stardancer

Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 24, 2009, 05:34:25 pm »

This is what I'm planning on doing with my (deliberately) unfinished crocheted scarf. I had a thought: it may be an interesting experiment to make the actual crocheting of the brat an Imbolc tradition over the next few years. Every year it will grow longer, and it will still be set out for her to bless, but perhaps the symbol of the ongoing crafting can bring a certain tone to my Imbolcs for the years to come.

Our brats are vintage flour clothing  - each year we add an new needleworked embellishment. We've been doing this for years, and it does seem to have a building 'feel', Imbolc after Imbolc.
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 02, 2009, 10:37:58 am »

Every year it will grow longer, and it will still be set out for her to bless, but perhaps the symbol of the ongoing crafting can bring a certain tone to my Imbolcs for the years to come.

I really like this idea - mind if I borrow it for next year?

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: February 02, 2009, 11:18:52 am »

I really like this idea - mind if I borrow it for next year?

Go for it!

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)