The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2020, 04:38:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2020, 04:38:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's the spark that keeps you going/seeking your path?  (Read 3051 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 20, 2009, 09:53:08 am »

Since there have been some related threads at TC about meaningfulness of religion/spirituality and I've started to reevaluate my own expectations due to new experiences I'm just wondering:

What are you seeking in religion/spirituality?

What kind of meaning have you found so far?

Is there something you are still looking for? Do or did you have problems finding meaning?

So is it life guidance, self-empowerment, celebration, fun, deeper mystery, better understanding of the universe, community spirit? What's the spark that keeps you going?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am
United States United States

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 20, 2009, 01:31:12 pm »

Well, from the standpoint of spirituality I am simply trying to understand my own existence, my place in life..trying to find out why I even exist, the point therein.

To be honest, I have found nothing so far that has helped me. Since I am not after religion then that won't apply but as far as the philosophy goes..I have heard much..platitudes and nice words but no real sincerity or meaning.

Is there something you are still looking for? Do or did you have problems finding meaning?

Like many I am still searching...most likely will always be searching.  For myself I am searching for proof that anything I have read about even exists. Where many see magic I just see nature doing what is always has been doing. Where others see divinity, as hard as I try, I only see a universe that doesn't care one whit about me in any capacity.

I do try to understand things but for some reason i am just not seing what others seem to be seeing. I realize this isn't the nice happy answer you were expecting but for me, after sifting through stories and symbology, I just can't quite get what others seem to be getting.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 20, 2009, 03:16:18 pm »

Like many I am still searching...most likely will always be searching.  For myself I am searching for proof that anything I have read about even exists. Where many see magic I just see nature doing what is always has been doing. Where others see divinity, as hard as I try, I only see a universe that doesn't care one whit about me in any capacity.

I do try to understand things but for some reason i am just not seing what others seem to be seeing. I realize this isn't the nice happy answer you were expecting but for me, after sifting through stories and symbology, I just can't quite get what others seem to be getting.
Hmm...I don't think there is proof in a scientific sense. It's more like trusting your own feelings and dreams IMO. If you love a person, would you search for scientific proof that what you feel is really love? (Has science yet invented such a test?) Not sure that helps.

And I don't think you can do anything about it than accept. I've seen myself as an atheist for years and had trouble to accept that I don't believe in 'God'. When I finally excepted my disbelief in 'God' I realized that I'm an animist. I wasn't seeing it before because I was only looking at myself in terms of 'believing in God' or being areligious. Animism just didn't register on my radar because I was only looking at what I don't believe in. Crazed, isn't it?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 20, 2009, 04:05:59 pm »

*Meaning and purpose in my life
*A connection to the divine/something greater than myself
*Ability to control/handle/direct the events in my life, but also acceptance and peace at those things which I cannot control.

I believe that we create our own meaning and assign our own purpose to our lives.  Instead of searching for my purpose/meaning, I should be acting to create that which is important to me.

I'm still looking for that connection to something greater.  I see other people around me who feel that connection, but when ever I think about it in it's many possible forms, I feel confused, unsure, and skeptic. 

Maybe my problem is too much looking and thinking, and not enough feeling... Shocked

What's the spark that keeps you going?
The desire to connect I guess?  The hope that someday I'll feel the way others do.  Although lately I get more and more disheartened.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 20, 2009, 05:05:31 pm »

When I finally excepted my disbelief in 'God' I realized that I'm an animist. I wasn't seeing it before because I was only looking at myself in terms of 'believing in God' or being areligious. Animism just didn't register on my radar because I was only looking at what I don't believe in. Crazed, isn't it?

No. I do not see it as crazed at all. We live in a world that practically demands that you "believe" in a deity and often one is treated with near scorn when it is discovered one does not subscribe to such ideas. My difficulty lies in that many systems seem to be almost completely focused on or dependant on worship of symbols and any real phiosophical ideas get somewhat lost.

I have no problem with admitting I do not accept deity because I think there is, somewhere, something more to the types of paganism we (generally in this forum at least) deal with than just rituals and deity concepts.

Maybe my problem is too much looking and thinking, and not enough feeling

Actually I think that is part of my problem too. I have a problem feeling as well as trusting myself.

If you love a person, would you search for scientific proof that what you feel is really love?

Maybe not to that extent but I would be analyzing if what I feel is real or if it is merely the product of wishful thinking and too much emotional reactions without taking a step back and looking at it soberly.

I just don't trust my feelings much anymore.

I'm still looking for that connection to something greater.  I see other people around me who feel that connection, but when ever I think about it in it's many possible forms, I feel confused, unsure, and skeptic. 

Yes! That is exactly how I see it as too. Thank you for saying what I was clumsily trying to say.

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 20, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »

Interesting question, Passionfruit...(as always!)

I am seeking to learn more about myself, and about the spiritual world around me. I am connected to the physical world, and I strive to find that connection in the spiritual world also.

That it's the small things that can bring the most joy. Seeking a connection to something beyond what is in front of my eyes has caused me to take pleasure in something as simple as the birds happily chirping outside even when it's in the middle of winter. I've also learnt not to take myself too seriously- I don't view myself as the centre of the world anymore, rather I feel a part of it.

It took me a while to get where I am now, but I wouldn't say I had problems finding meaning. I try not to over-analyze everything. I still seek to attain knowledge, but that's something that will never stop as we keep on learning until the end of our days.

So is it life guidance, self-empowerment, celebration, fun, deeper mystery, better understanding of the universe, community spirit? What's the spark that keeps you going?

A connection to the spiritual world is something I don't want to lose, so that is what keeps me going I guess. My spirituality has also helped me through a few tough hurdles in life, so I appreciate having it as part of my life.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 22, 2009, 02:20:39 am »

- knowledge/wisdom, a better grasping of the cosmos
- connection to the divine and finding my place in the cosmos
- honoring and celebrating life/the divine
- personal development

I'm not sure, I think some early beginnings of the above.

I'm still looking for the way I connect best and I'm also not sure which symbols and ideas work best for me to grasp and honor life. I'm still struggling with finding the right path and sorting out meaningful trappings and methods to connect. (With 'grasping' I don't necessarily mean scientific understanding, but a way the human mind could relate to the greatness of the cosmos in a personal and emotional sense. It's hard to put into words.)

What's the spark that keeps you going?
I think the feeling of being related to everything in the cosmos and constantly learning new things about it and myself.

katkat42
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2010, 02:56:53 pm

Religion: Asatru

Hee!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 22, 2009, 01:25:20 pm »

- A sense of peace, awe, and connectedness with a larger world of living spirits.
- Some life guidance and self-improvement

I've found a bunch of unexpected things, which I wasn't searching for when I started my journey.  I've discovered the importance of family, heritage, and community; and the importance of working with the people you have, instead of picking and choosing and then shunning the rest.

For a long time, I was interested in building my picture of the divine based on first principles and my own experience.  But then I realized that I am not a product of first principles; I am a product of my family and my heritage and my culture.  And without these things, first principles have no context and little meaning.  And as such, it makes sense for me to build my spiritual life based on these things.  And this got me a lot farther than my first principles did.

I'm still having some difficulty adjusting my worldview.  I still have some Christian and post-Christian-modern-American attitudes that really aren't helping me much.  But I'm working on it.

The beauty of the wind moving through the trees, and the colors of the sunset.  Then, the world is beautiful, life is beautiful, and my spirit is calm.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: January 22, 2009, 01:37:27 pm »

The knowledge that the gods have faith in me.

Kinda makes everything else fade in importance.  (also scares the hell out of me, but whatever)

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 24, 2009, 02:33:15 pm »

Since there have been some related threads at TC about meaningfulness of religion/spirituality and I've started to reevaluate my own expectations due to new experiences I'm just wondering:

I've basically been trying to see where I fit into the scheme of things. I've always felt like an outsider in everything and I used my spiritual search as a way to find meaning in my life and to see if there was a place where I did fit in.

I've discovered that I feel most comfortable in nature, among animals and growing things. I feel better when I can reach out and touch the Earth Mother and have Her children around me. Sometimes that can be difficult to do when you live in an urban setting.

I feel that I am slowly getting to where it is that I need to be. I couldn't find it within Wicca. Unfortunately, when I first stepped onto this path, Wicca was the main guiding force and there was little information on any other path. But I eventually stumbled upon Celtic Reconstructionism and began to feel more of a sense of belonging. But even though I felt that I'd found a starting point I still felt that sense of "otherness" within me, like I still didn't quite belong. So that is when I decided that I would turn to Druidism, since it was closer to what I wanted spiritually.

I think what I'm mainly looking for is that community spirit, to find the place where I truly belong. So far, it is still eluding me.

Rigantona, Great Queen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)