The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 02:18:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 02:18:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The world has changed.  (Read 25179 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #120: February 02, 2009, 05:39:51 pm »

Lots of folks in rural areas depend on that meat as a main food source.

And to shoot vermin that attack their livestock, pets, or even children -- something people who live in cities tend to forget.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #121: February 10, 2009, 12:43:57 pm »

Yes I know Tom Kratman.  Look at a couple of his newer books and you'll see my name in the acknowledgements.

That's pretty cool, actually, even if I don't care for his work. Smiley

A State of Disobedience is not his greatest piece of writing. He'll be proud to tell you that it's at best an OK book.  He had to really stretch to make it even somewhat plausiable.

Then why'd he write it?

The book wasn't about Hillary and definately wasn't about lesbians.  It was about polarization and how pushing too far too fast creates a backlash.  Video interview with him where he discusses the book, and others : (it's part 3 of 5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xaMzGS7cXE

Look starting at about minute 3 onward to probably 5 or so.

I'll have to wait until I've got a few hours to download, but I'll just say that the president in it screamed of Hillary Clinton, Rush Limbaugh style.

I hope you read at least the first part on-line for free before spending money on it.  Or now that you know about webscriptions, you'll look at all the Baen books before spending the money. 

I didn't know about that at the time; it was a few years ago, IIRC.  Plus, I wasn't really expecting anything from Baen to suck enough for me to regret having bought it; everything else I've gotten from them, I've liked.  They and Tor are my go-to publishers if I happen to be at a bookstore with spare money and don't have something particular in mind.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #122: February 10, 2009, 03:20:11 pm »

That's pretty cool, actually, even if I don't care for his work. Smiley

Then why'd he write it?

I'll have to wait until I've got a few hours to download, but I'll just say that the president in it screamed of Hillary Clinton, Rush Limbaugh style.

I didn't know about that at the time; it was a few years ago, IIRC.  Plus, I wasn't really expecting anything from Baen to suck enough for me to regret having bought it; everything else I've gotten from them, I've liked.  They and Tor are my go-to publishers if I happen to be at a bookstore with spare money and don't have something particular in mind.

LOL about Baen and TOR being your goto publishers.  I'll have to mention it to Toni (current head of the company) if I see her next year or so. 

You could go to Amazon and write a review and give it one star. Although he actually likes though reveiws if it appears you have read the book. They seem to help him sell books. That's on one of the YouTube interviews.

Tom wrote it at the behest of Jim Baen.

The character of the President is obviously based upon an over the top description of Hilary.  The point though wasn't to say Hilary as Hilary would be a disaster; or that a woman President would be a disaster. 
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 08, 2022, 10:59:47 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #123: February 11, 2009, 12:12:41 am »

I'm going to keep this convo in mind when it comes to the possibility of reading his other work.  My problem with A State of Disobedience is that the writing itself was sub-par - that led me to mentally flag him as not that good a writer, but it now seems possible it's just that his heart wasn't in it for this one.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #124: February 11, 2009, 07:12:57 am »

I'm going to keep this convo in mind when it comes to the possibility of reading his other work.  My problem with A State of Disobedience is that the writing itself was sub-par - that led me to mentally flag him as not that good a writer, but it now seems possible it's just that his heart wasn't in it for this one.

Sunflower

Watch on the Rhine was mostly written by him, plus he has 3 solo novels.  That's why the Baen website, with the free first 1/3 or so of each book is so nice.  You'll probably hate his politics though.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #125: February 12, 2009, 12:19:57 am »

You'll probably hate his politics though.
That seems likely, from what I've heard, and it might mean I don't care for his books (Pyperlie and I are probably twins on this one; her politics and mine - and for that matter her taste in SF and mine - are pretty similar).  But political differences aren't as much of an obstacle for me as poor writing is.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #126: February 13, 2009, 10:13:48 pm »

LOL about Baen and TOR being your goto publishers.  I'll have to mention it to Toni (current head of the company) if I see her next year or so. 

My rule of thumb is that, if you like Heinlein, you'll like Baen. Smiley

You could go to Amazon and write a review and give it one star. Although he actually likes though reveiws if it appears you have read the book. They seem to help him sell books. That's on one of the YouTube interviews.

I could, but in all honesty don't feel the need; I'm annoyed at being out 8 bucks, but that'll teach me next time.

Tom wrote it at the behest of Jim Baen.

Did it have to be Texas seceding?  Or near-future, for that matter?

The character of the President is obviously based upon an over the top description of Hilary.  The point though wasn't to say Hilary as Hilary would be a disaster; or that a woman President would be a disaster. 

However it was meant to come across, I read it as a diatribe against women who aren't baby factories, and against lesbians (why else make her one for this book and go out of the way to make it seem like yet another reason she's eeeevil).

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #127: February 13, 2009, 10:43:55 pm »

That seems likely, from what I've heard, and it might mean I don't care for his books (Pyperlie and I are probably twins on this one; her politics and mine - and for that matter her taste in SF and mine - are pretty similar).  But political differences aren't as much of an obstacle for me as poor writing is.

Political differences are pretty minor compared to poor writing.  I point to Heinlein and Asimov as a great example.  Asimov was much closer to me politically, but I don't like his stuff (heresy, I know), and I love Heinlein.

But really, a lot of Baen books have a right-wing leaning, but that's never really bothered me, as long as they're good. Smiley 

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #128: February 13, 2009, 11:04:10 pm »

Political differences are pretty minor compared to poor writing.  I point to Heinlein and Asimov as a great example.  Asimov was much closer to me politically, but I don't like his stuff (heresy, I know), and I love Heinlein.

But really, a lot of Baen books have a right-wing leaning, but that's never really bothered me, as long as they're good. Smiley 

Can you read full books on a computer screen? as opposed to just a couple of chapters as a preview?
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #129: February 13, 2009, 11:13:12 pm »

Can you read full books on a computer screen? as opposed to just a couple of chapters as a preview?

I don't like to, but I can (and have gotten hooked on a couple that way), why?

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #130: February 14, 2009, 12:36:34 am »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Twin heretics!

There are ways in which Asimov's writing is fairly good, but any time actual people are involved - characterization, dialogue, motivations, etc, etc - it goes to hell.

Politics - on a simple left/right linear, I suppose we're closer to Asimov, but I'm not sure how well the simple linear works here.  It certainly doesn't categorize Heinlein all that effectively (or me, for that matter).

Sunflower

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #131: February 14, 2009, 09:02:15 am »

I don't like to, but I can (and have gotten hooked on a couple that way), why?

I'll probably buy one of the monthly bundles from Baen webscriptions in August or so. I get the chance to send a free copy of that bundle to a new person to get them hooked.  I'll PM you for your e-mail addy if you are interested and if I can remember in 5 months. (currently flat broke due to on-going divorce).
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #132: February 24, 2009, 11:57:19 am »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Twin heretics!

Hah! Glad it's not just me, though... Smiley

There are ways in which Asimov's writing is fairly good, but any time actual people are involved - characterization, dialogue, motivations, etc, etc - it goes to hell.

He seems to've been a big-picture kinda guy; great on concepts, terrible on details.

I read as much of the Foundation series as I could stand; does he have something that's better?

Politics - on a simple left/right linear, I suppose we're closer to Asimov, but I'm not sure how well the simple linear works here.  It certainly doesn't categorize Heinlein all that effectively (or me, for that matter).

Asimov was closer to me on economic issues, although they seemed to be fairly close on the social ones, IIRC.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #133: February 24, 2009, 12:00:01 pm »

I'll probably buy one of the monthly bundles from Baen webscriptions in August or so. I get the chance to send a free copy of that bundle to a new person to get them hooked.  I'll PM you for your e-mail addy if you are interested and if I can remember in 5 months. (currently flat broke due to on-going divorce).

That's really nice of you; thank you! Smiley

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #134: February 24, 2009, 03:13:32 pm »

I read as much of the Foundation series as I could stand; does he have something that's better?

Asimov was closer to me on economic issues, although they seemed to be fairly close on the social ones, IIRC.

Lucky Starr series, but it's a juvenile. I liked it at 12 or 13, doubt I'd bother re-reading (or maybe even reading) it now.

It's been a long time since I"ve read a lot of Asimov, but I don't recall a lot of economics in his books. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)