The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 23, 2021, 09:15:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2021, 09:15:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 - US Government Power Transfer News  (Read 4583 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: January 22, 2009, 11:04:30 pm »

Yes, as the current Commander in Chief Obama's orders override prior ones.  Is it politically wise is another story.   

I don't think the original order was particularly wise. I can see using an EO for this until the time Congress can get around to doing something more permanent if need be. This whole "enemy combatant" thing has gotten really bad press...and for good reason.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: January 22, 2009, 11:05:52 pm »

Possibly, sort of.

Obama might be able to tell the review board that POW status will be accorded to those enemy combatants who otherwise don't qualify due to GC violations. That can be done very quickly. It only takes 3 officers to hold a GC determination board, although the recent Executive Order has made that a much larger group. 

Not sure though if that would not get tangled up in the US court system though.  I suspect that the lawyers will argue Against any declartion of POW status for their clients.

All I can think here is what an incredible mess this is going to be thanks to Bush and his great ideas about keeping them out of the system...ANY system. What a nightmare.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 22, 2009, 11:12:18 pm »

Something that I"m sure won't surprise too many people.

New staff find White House in tech Dark Ages
'It's kind of like going from an Xbox to an Atari,' an Obama aide says

WASHINGTON - If the Obama campaign represented a sleek, new iPhone kind of future, the first day of the Obama administration looked more like the rotary-dial past.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28787998/

Some of that is expected.  

If people are going to do govt business, it has to be on govt accounts that can be archived. Hence govt e-mail, and gmail being blocked to avoid the problem Palin had.  Facebook is anything but archival or secure.  

I suspect that "out dated software" means Windows XP instead of Vista since I don't think Vista has passed security review yet.

Apparently both Bush 2 and Clinton had the same gripe about moving in with regards to computer systems.  Heck, I've worked govt contract. We didn't move from DOS 6.22 to Windows NT until 2003.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 22, 2009, 11:18:44 pm »

All I can think here is what an incredible mess this is going to be thanks to Bush and his great ideas about keeping them out of the system...ANY system. What a nightmare.

Bush wanted to get intel from them and then have trials to convict them of being terrorists under US law.  You can't do that without dragging in the entire US legal system.

GC's are easier, although you can't get intel from them.  Even if we extended (illegally) POW status to them, it would at least keep them out of the fight forever.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: January 22, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »

Bush wanted to get intel from them and then have trials to convict them of being terrorists under US law.  You can't do that without dragging in the entire US legal system.

And we're going to be paying for Bush's desires for years. Things would have been a lot easier if Cowboy George hadn't played fast and loose with this.

Gods. That man. I am SO relieved the City of Dallas gets to worry about him now rather than the rest of the country. We just have to clean up after him. **sigh**

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)