The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 17, 2021, 04:09:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2021, 04:09:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: And related ancient religions  (Read 4923 times)
INsearch
Master Member
Last Login:August 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Just seeking.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 23, 2009, 12:20:12 am »

The title says it all, the description of this group mentions what i wrote in the title, so what are these other related religions?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: January 23, 2009, 12:25:05 am »

The title says it all, the description of this group mentions what i wrote in the title, so what are these other related religions?

*aches eyebrow*

As in...?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 23, 2009, 12:33:07 am »

*aches eyebrow*

As in...?
as in what are these similar religions?
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: January 23, 2009, 12:48:17 am »

as in what are these similar religions?

I may be drawing a blank here but are you talking about Hellenic and Roman Polytheism?

I will start out by saying that in Ancient Greece, the religious practices differed (sometimes to an extreme) from region to region.  Sure they had the same gods, but they were seen differently in different areas (f/x: Artemis -- in Ephesus she was a multi-breasted fertility goddess which contrasted to the image most others saw her as).

I don't know much about the Roman Religion, but the biggest similarity I see is the Romans taking the Greek myths and applying them to their gods and calling their gods and the Greek ones one and the same.  There may be similarities in ritual structure, but I don't know.

To tell the truth, I can't think of any religion that is related to the ancient Greek one. 

I don't know if any of this make sense, is accurate or is even what you're asking.  My brain is fried now and time for me to go to bed Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 23, 2009, 04:23:49 am »

I may be drawing a blank here but are you talking about Hellenic and Roman Polytheism?

I will start out by saying that in Ancient Greece, the religious practices differed (sometimes to an extreme) from region to region.  Sure they had the same gods, but they were seen differently in different areas (f/x: Artemis -- in Ephesus she was a multi-breasted fertility goddess which contrasted to the image most others saw her as).

I don't know much about the Roman Religion, but the biggest similarity I see is the Romans taking the Greek myths and applying them to their gods and calling their gods and the Greek ones one and the same.  There may be similarities in ritual structure, but I don't know.

To tell the truth, I can't think of any religion that is related to the ancient Greek one. 

I don't know if any of this make sense, is accurate or is even what you're asking.  My brain is fried now and time for me to go to bed Cheesy

I wasn't really talking about Roman Polytheism I was actually more or less asking what these "Similar" religions where suppose to be? cuz their must be some out their... like for example, I THINK that Etruscan Polytheism would be part of this?
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 23, 2009, 04:58:48 am »

I wasn't really talking about Roman Polytheism I was actually more or less asking what these "Similar" religions where suppose to be? cuz their must be some out their... like for example, I THINK that Etruscan Polytheism would be part of this?

Please elaborate.  At the moment you're leaving posters to guess at what you mean.  Similar to what?  Which aspects?  and so on.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 23, 2009, 05:13:38 am »

Please elaborate.  At the moment you're leaving posters to guess at what you mean.  Similar to what?  Which aspects?  and so on.

The Ta Hiera Hellenic Polytheist Forum is a polytheistic reconstructionist SIG devoted to facilitating the understanding of ancient Hellenic religion (and related ancient religions) and the worship of the ancient Hellenic deities in the present day in a manner that, while clearly based on academic research into ancient practices, is adapted for modern times and places. Visit the Ta Hiera SIG Website.
Thats the description of this part of the board, my question is on what I highlighted.  I was just wondering if someone could tell me what these religions are that is being reffered here.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: January 23, 2009, 05:25:54 am »

Thats the description of this part of the board, my question is on what I highlighted.  I was just wondering if someone could tell me what these religions are that is being reffered here.

Thank you, InSearch.  Hopefully that should be sufficient context.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 23, 2009, 05:33:57 am »

Thank you, InSearch.  Hopefully that should be sufficient context.

Yeah sorry about that I posted this question with my PSP so I wasn't very clear with my question cuz its annoying to type out a question on a PSP Grin
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: January 23, 2009, 05:39:25 am »

Yeah sorry about that I posted this question with my PSP so I wasn't very clear with my question cuz its annoying to type out a question on a PSP Grin

I would suggest, then, that you wait to post questions like this until you're at a computer and can be clearer.  I understand the desire to get information quickly, but (as you can see from what happened here) posting a question that's unclear because you don't like typing too much on the device you're using is probably actually going to delay your getting answers longer than simply waiting until you can type it out properly would.

I would guess that "related religions" would involve things that have roots in Greek philosophy, though since Randall wrote the description I think ultimately this is a question for him.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
INsearch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 23, 2009, 05:41:47 am »

I would suggest, then, that you wait to post questions like this until you're at a computer and can be clearer.  I understand the desire to get information quickly, but (as you can see from what happened here) posting a question that's unclear because you don't like typing too much on the device you're using is probably actually going to delay your getting answers longer than simply waiting until you can type it out properly would.

I would guess that "related religions" would involve things that have roots in Greek philosophy, though since Randall wrote the description I think ultimately this is a question for him.

Sorry about that Sad  I will just wait for the computer next time Wink
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 23, 2009, 07:13:35 am »

Sorry about that Sad  I will just wait for the computer next time Wink

ROFL

Thank you, I really needed this thread. It was like listening to the old "Who's on first?" commedy skit Cheesy

More seriously though, there were a number of contemporary 'religions' that the greeks across the polytheistic periods would have had contact with. The Etruscans, Romans, Phrygians, Egyptian, Celtic, Zoroastrians, and a host of other faith groups and ethnic pantheons dotted about the region and quite a lot of commerce, as I undersatnd it. I'm not an expert in this area, but consider myseelf well read and this is my current undersatnding. I am happy to be corrected.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: January 23, 2009, 08:05:15 am »

The statement is to cover some of the syncretic practices of some areas of Greece at some time periods, that is, some areas of Greece "imported" a "foreign" deity or two during some time periods. This statement is to be sure religious purists know discussions of such are allowed here.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #13: January 23, 2009, 10:53:08 am »

*aches eyebrow*

Yeah, I've had days when even my eyebrows ache, too.  Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 23, 2009, 12:18:16 pm »

There may be similarities in ritual structure, but I don't know.

Definitely. <g> There was actually a formalized "Greek rite" (graeco ritu) included -- the main difference was that the rite was conducted with an uncovered head, as opposed to the standard form in which a fold of the toga was drawn up. The Romans really had no problem acknowledging both 'native' and 'foreign' elements in their 'traditional' (religio) religious forms.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)