The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 25, 2021, 03:55:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2021, 03:55:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The term 'New Age' and criticism  (Read 20468 times)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #60: March 21, 2009, 07:02:26 pm »

Try three of them!  One at the beginning of puberty, one in the last stages of it and one closing in on the end.  The older girls should finish up puberty just about the time I really get into the swing of things.

Poor Tim.  He's surrounded.

Poor Tim?? Poor *you. Calgon, take me away....

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #61: March 22, 2009, 06:31:45 am »

As a follow up question: Maybe it's just me, but has anyone ever been afraid of or extremely cautious of voicing something because you wondered if others may judge you as a 'new ager' or 'fluffy' for it?

Hell yeah. Particularly as I'm only just (after coming up to 8 years) feeling that I'm settling down in my beliefs. There have been some constants, but the last 8 years I've mostly been confused and floaty. Many of my friends are atheists, some are quite 'devout' atheists who love a good argument, so it's just easier to keep my mouth shut.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:26:18 am by RandallS, Reason: Quote BBCode corrected » Logged

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #62: March 22, 2009, 01:08:21 pm »

Hell yeah. Particularly as I'm only just (after coming up to 8 years) feeling that I'm settling down in my beliefs. There have been some constants, but the last 8 years I've mostly been confused and floaty. Many of my friends are atheists, some are quite 'devout' atheists who love a good argument, so it's just easier to keep my mouth shut.

love that image...confused and floaty...I agree that it does seem that there is not a lot of tolerance for that in most religions and paths I've explored.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Maythe
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: March 22, 2009, 02:23:08 pm »

love that image...confused and floaty...I agree that it does seem that there is not a lot of tolerance for that in most religions and paths I've explored.
It never helps people to take you seriously if, when asked what you believe, you say 'not sure really....' I've just tended to stick to describing myself as an earth worshipper, at least most people get the basic idea. Fortunately things are improving, but my leaning towards a germanic path seems to be increasing, but some of my beliefs are definitely NOT heathen and so I probably need to resign myself to the fact that some people will always think I'm a fluffy newage fool  Undecided

I'm aware that a lot of people would think my beliefs bizarre, so I tend to try to avoid judging others beliefs. Of course that's hard when someone believes in the purple unicorn fairy atlantans....

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #64: March 22, 2009, 04:20:37 pm »

Of course that's hard when someone believes in the purple unicorn fairy atlantans....

Oh my...now I have the strangest picture in my head!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Maythe
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: March 22, 2009, 04:30:34 pm »

Oh my...now I have the strangest picture in my head!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
You're welcome  Grin

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #66: March 22, 2009, 04:49:14 pm »

It never helps people to take you seriously if, when asked what you believe, you say 'not sure really....' I've just tended to stick to describing myself as an earth worshipper, at least most people get the basic idea. Fortunately things are improving, but my leaning towards a germanic path seems to be increasing, but some of my beliefs are definitely NOT heathen and so I probably need to resign myself to the fact that some people will always think I'm a fluffy newage fool  Undecided

I'm aware that a lot of people would think my beliefs bizarre, so I tend to try to avoid judging others beliefs. Of course that's hard when someone believes in the purple unicorn fairy atlantans....

I know how you feel. I tend to have a lot more problems talking about gods and the like with Christians than I do with atheists. In fact on another board I am on that is not religion-related the fanatics were atheistic, not theistic. And quite a few ended up saying they kept talking that way was because they wanted a Christian to come in and act fanatic back. I'm happy to say none of the Christians who responded were like that at all, and so I felt really insulted by them that they assumed anyone who was religious was fanatic and obviously needed to be "fixed" to see "whats right".

Amongst my friends the only person I really talk to about my beliefs is my boyfriend (who would be better described as agnostic). A girlfriend of a close friend of mine is pagan, but of the very fluffy variety. Otherwise most of my friends are agnostic bordering on atheist.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #67: March 22, 2009, 10:48:58 pm »

I probably need to resign myself to the fact that some people will always think I'm a fluffy newage fool  Undecided

you know, I have found that there is a lot of freedom in that. I don't worry about whether other people care of approve of my beliefs anymore, bc they really are very far from the mainstream. And as a consequence, I am now much less judgmental about other peoples' beliefs, mainly b/c I just don't care, but also b/c I have a lot of compassion for people who's beliefs and needs put them way out there on the margin of society.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Maythe
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: March 23, 2009, 03:23:19 pm »

you know, I have found that there is a lot of freedom in that. I don't worry about whether other people care of approve of my beliefs anymore, bc they really are very far from the mainstream. And as a consequence, I am now much less judgmental about other peoples' beliefs, mainly b/c I just don't care, but also b/c I have a lot of compassion for people who's beliefs and needs put them way out there on the margin of society.
It's not been helpful for my self esteem problems that's for sure, but not giving a damn is a lesson I'm learning. Slowly, but getting there.

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #69: March 23, 2009, 09:37:04 pm »

It's not been helpful for my self esteem problems that's for sure, but not giving a damn is a lesson I'm learning. Slowly, but getting there.

it's the compassion part that makes detachment from other people's values easier

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)