The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 02:43:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:43:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Geomancy  (Read 2139 times)
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 28, 2009, 12:23:57 am »

Tarot isn't really working for me as a divination system. 

I'm thinking of looking into a type of geomantic divination such as Obi or Dominoes or some other type.  What other types of geomantic divination are there?

Are there any recommended books or websites for someone who wants accurate information, but also a how to guide?

Thanks. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 28, 2009, 01:54:12 pm »

I'm thinking of looking into a type of geomantic divination such as Obi or Dominoes or some other type.  What other types of geomantic divination are there?
Are there any recommended books or websites for someone who wants accurate information, but also a how to guide?
Thanks. 

The Chinese and Egyptians used spirit writing in sand. The Chinese used a tray of sand. If memory serves me right the Egyptians may just have written directly on the ground (being sandy enough I suppose).

The person doing the divination would go into a trance or meditative state and ask for a spirit to guide their hand (holding a stick) to receive a message that is written into the sand. The message can be received not only in words, but as symbols or drawings as well.

Sometimes an ancestor is summoned to bring the message. I have found that when doing this type of summoning it is good to let the ancestor know before hand that you will be asking for help from them. It seems to me they must get busy on the other side just like here. You wouldn't want someone just showing up at your door and expecting you to do something for them right that second either.  Cheesy

Other things that come to mind are; tea leaf reading, coffee ground readings, smoke divination, and incense ash reading. The last one is good to do after offering incense to a deity. Ask for a message to be left as you light the incense stick then read the ashes after the stick is out.

Sorry I don't really know of any how-to-guides. I have always been a trial and error kind of person.

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 31, 2009, 05:04:49 am »

Thanks. 
John Michael Greer has done a book on Geomancy - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earth-Divination-Magic-Beginners-Geomancy/dp/1567183123/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233396196&sr=8-1 I've not read it though so can't say whether it's any good.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 01, 2009, 03:05:54 pm »

Thanks. 
I believe runes constitute geomantic, and also I Ching.  But I wonder if geomantic simply means divination of objects of natural materials, or divination of the naturally occuring positions of the objects in relation to eachother.  Either way, alot depends on your divinatory style. 

ANALYTICAL:  If you are the type who prefers analysing the actual cards descriptions, then runes are very similar.  Pull out one rune at a time, and set it on your cloth in the order your spread requests, just like tarot.  The runes are extremely conceptual.  For instance, FEHU = cattle = wealth, because back then, a lot of cattle meant you were wealthy. 

ABSTRACT:  If you are the type, like me, who falls into trance or "flow" as I like to call it, you could scatter the runes on the cloth, and read their position in relation to each other (geomantic?) as well as their actual individual meanings.  I like this method because I feel that the universe is controlling the action of throwing in order to communicate.  I do this quite well with playing cards on the floor.  The random falling movement of the cards facilitates any outer force's ability to change them by their choice/will/energy.  And their distance to the thrower indicates time passing or could indicate level of importance.

I also like scrying techniques (i.e. crystal ball, bowl of ink, etc.).  I particularly like gazing into a tree's moving leaves, or ripples on water, until you have a vision.  This works almost anywhere, with almost anything.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.