The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 01:05:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 01:05:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Path Changes  (Read 4649 times)
Satirna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 29, 2009, 09:34:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 28, 2009, 02:01:56 pm »

Well, not sure if this is in the right section, hopefully it is...

After so many years of compiling information to determine my path/religion, it seems that a certain someone (Deity) has thwarted me and thwarted me hard. Now I've landed on my arse and trying to figure things out and She is constantly saying, "I've tried all these years to get you to listen, now listen!"

Can you figure who She is? Hecate, of course. *sigh* I'm so scared of Her it's not funny.

I definitely don't feel that I am any religion in particular, but all I know is that I'm a Witch/Pagan. There are several practices and stuff that I am very interested in learning and I'm sure Hecate knows what path to guide me on, since after all, She is Hecate Trioditis (of the Crossroads).

I'm not sure yet, but I feel that it's a possibility that I may end up being a servant of Hecate and devoted to Her alone... However, it scares the bejeebus out of me! I know She's not "Dark" but I know by Her tone She is stern and serious. That's the part that scares me a bit, especially what would She want with me? I have heard from Her before and kept pushing Her aside, which now I realize may just be the biggest "no-no" I've done so far.

So, why would my path be changing after so many years of study? I know that paths change, but I never thought I would end up feeling that kind of change. I really thought I was content.

And now, Hecate? Why me?

Sorry if this sounded rant-ish, but I just am freaked out!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: January 28, 2009, 02:08:55 pm »

Can you figure who She is? Hecate, of course. *sigh* I'm so scared of Her it's not funny.

You'll find there are quite a few of us who have intimate relationships with Hekate...many of us are Recon and have quite a different perspective on her than what you find written in books by modern neo-Pagan authors.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Satirna
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 28, 2009, 02:14:15 pm »

You'll find there are quite a few of us who have intimate relationships with Hekate...many of us are Recon and have quite a different perspective on her than what you find written in books by modern neo-Pagan authors.

As for now, I just read what I can... I'm not a Recon but find that knowing how the Greek/Roman cultures viewed Hecate, can be very beneficial... However, I'm just kind of trying to get over the thwarting.
Satirna
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 28, 2009, 02:44:53 pm »

Before I forget, the only thing I don't agree with the Neo-Pagans about Hecate is the Triple Goddess (Maiden, Mother, Crone) aspect of Hecate. I do see Hecate as a Maiden (meaning never married) but I do believe that the characteristics of "Maiden, Mother, and Crone" suit Hecate in Her one and only Maiden form. To me, it is an assumption based on the fact that She is Triple-Faced or Triple-Bodied. But each of those guard the Crossroads, not in the MMC context.

(I have done research on Hecate before.)

However, Hecate will always appear as Maiden (at least to me) but will be laid back, mother-like, or stringent. I don't ever see Her as pregnant or haggish.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 28, 2009, 02:47:37 pm »

As for now, I just read what I can... I'm not a Recon but find that knowing how the Greek/Roman cultures viewed Hecate, can be very beneficial... However, I'm just kind of trying to get over the thwarting.
The reason I mention the Recon thing is because there's not quite the level of oogie-boogie spooky shit involved with her. IOW, while there are reasons for great respect, there's less reason for outright fear because there's not the view that is presented in a lot of Pagan 101 books.

There is a tremendous amount of crap written about her. So keep that in mind when you are reading what you can find.

AFA your path changing? That happens to a lot of people. Gods can come and go depending on where we are in our lives. Unfortunately, it doesn't always make a lot of sense to us, but I have to assume it does to them.

Satirna
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 28, 2009, 02:51:28 pm »

The reason I mention the Recon thing is because there's not quite the level of oogie-boogie spooky shit involved with her. IOW, while there are reasons for great respect, there's less reason for outright fear because there's not the view that is presented in a lot of Pagan 101 books.

Well, the reason She scares me is Her personality. She can be in-your-face at times and to me, that just makes me want to crawl into a corner... I know there's a side of me that is like that but never comes out, and She may be poking me a bit to start stepping up to the plate a bit and not put up with bullshit as passively as I have in the past.

Not to get off track, but I really don't know that much about Recon and since I don't feel a connection to the other deities and Hecate only, I don't know if I would really be Recon but may just study it to enhance my views on Hecate.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #6: January 28, 2009, 03:00:37 pm »

Well, the reason She scares me is Her personality.

Only a little advice, just don't fight her.
It will be hard to get through whatever she's intending to teach you, but if you fight it, it'll be hell.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: January 28, 2009, 03:06:36 pm »

Well, the reason She scares me is Her personality. She can be in-your-face at times and to me, that just makes me want to crawl into a corner... I know there's a side of me that is like that but never comes out, and She may be poking me a bit to start stepping up to the plate a bit and not put up with bullshit as passively as I have in the past.

That seems to be the almost any deity who has spent time trying to get your attention is. A common reference on TC is to being "thwapped" and that pretty well sums it up. Virtually any of us who have personal relationships with specific gods have this sort of common experience. I don't know if it's because TC members are generally more oblivious, stubborn or just what, but it's happened to a large number of us.

Not to get off track, but I really don't know that much about Recon and since I don't feel a connection to the other deities and Hecate only, I don't know if I would really be Recon but may just study it to enhance my views on Hecate.

Recon isn't so much a specific religion as it is an approach, though you'll hear people say they're Recon and use that as a descriptive for their religion. Those of us who are Recon put a very, very high premium on original sources and scholarship. In that respect, it's a method. Many of us have relationships with specific deities, but just as many of us don't. It's simply an individual thing.  So it depends on where you put your reliance on information. If it's the Llewellyn, Pagan 101 books you'll get one set of descriptions about her. If you're a Recon or Recon-leaning, you're going to get your information from primary source material or scholastic secondary source material. That will be the case with any deity, Hekate or Zeus or other pantheons and that information can be quite different than what you find in a lot of author's books.

Satirna
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 28, 2009, 03:38:02 pm »

Only a little advice, just don't fight her.
It will be hard to get through whatever she's intending to teach you, but if you fight it, it'll be hell.

Thanks for the advice. Dare I ask what you mean by, "it'll be hell"?

That seems to be the almost any deity who has spent time trying to get your attention is. A common reference on TC is to being "thwapped" and that pretty well sums it up. Virtually any of us who have personal relationships with specific gods have this sort of common experience. I don't know if it's because TC members are generally more oblivious, stubborn or just what, but it's happened to a large number of us.

Ah, got it... Speaking for myself, I am pretty stubborn.

What kind of sources would you recommend for info. about Hecate then?

(PS: I've started to despise Llewelly-fluff.)

I do have a question about Hecate though, to clear up a bit of misconception... Could Hecate be seen as a Moon Goddess or not? I always read/find that She is a Moon Goddess.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 28, 2009, 03:51:35 pm »

I would recommend theoi.com's rather large section on her.  The beauty of this site is that it references primary sources from ancient Greece.

I do have a question about Hecate though, to clear up a bit of misconception... Could Hecate be seen as a Moon Goddess or not? I always read/find that She is a Moon Goddess.

I think it depends on interpretation.  At times she was identified with Selene and Artemis who both had lunar aspects.  Her feast days were on the night of the new moon, and I typically associate her with the new moon because of that.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Satirna
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 28, 2009, 03:54:48 pm »

I think it depends on interpretation.  At times she was identified with Selene and Artemis who both had lunar aspects.  Her feast days were on the night of the new moon, and I typically associate her with the new moon because of that.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. Smiley

I've done a bit of reading on Recon since I started this thread, and it's not for me at all.

I guess I'll just have to talk with Hecate and find out what She's trying to get me to do and what She may want from me. It gets annoying when someone says, "Listen to what I'm telling you," but then they go and make it appear hidden and you have to go and figure it out/find it.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: January 28, 2009, 03:55:05 pm »

Well, life gives you hints. You ignore them, they become pebbles tossed at your window, you ignore this, they become bricks and hit you on the head Wink If you ignore what is to be learned, what is to be changed, the pressure to learn it and change it will rise.

No moon goddess in ancient times AFAIK. She is chthonic deity. Neither is she a crone, nor part of a MMC triplet.
Correct this someone if I'm wrong, but I think those ideas are rather new.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: January 28, 2009, 04:22:05 pm »

Ah, got it... Speaking for myself, I am pretty stubborn.

(PS: I've started to despise Llewelly-fluff.)

Mel already recommended Theoi.com, which is a great resource, and Lyric already discussed Recon as a methodology, so I'll just build on them.  Smiley

For perceptions of Hekate, a LOT depends on where and when you're talking about.  As Tana said, she was primarily a cthonic deity, but she did become linked with the moon, especially in Hellenistic and Roman times:  I know of at least one Hellenistic, and several Roman, statues and sources that link her with the phases of the moon -- and the Hellenistic statue is the only one I've seen that explicitly depicts her three faces as Maiden/Mother/Crone.  (That statue is in the archaeology museum in the Palace of the Grand Masters in Rhodes, btw.)  Other writers, as in the Chaldean Oracles, spoke of her in terms of the "Cosmic Soul."  For more information, Sarah Iles Johnston is the foremost authority on the worship of Hekate in the ancient world. 

Modern Llewellyn-esque ideas about Hekate come from a combination of ancient stuff, medieval and Renaissance figurations of her as the ooky-spooky "goddess of Witches," and a whole lotta fluff.     

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #13: January 28, 2009, 04:40:55 pm »

and the Hellenistic statue is the only one I've seen that explicitly depicts her three faces as Maiden/Mother/Crone.  (That statue is in the archaeology museum in the Palace of the Grand Masters in Rhodes, btw.) 

Interesting.
Is it really MMC or only triple?

Because as far as I know, being depicted as triple just means the rulership over different realms like over earth, sea and sky.
Hermes too, was depicted triple if I remember now correctly.

(I'd like to see a picture of that statue. I'll google that tomorrow.)
Good night for now Smiley

Satirna
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 28, 2009, 05:50:40 pm »

Thanks for the information, catja. Smiley

Tana, I understand what you mean now.

Well, I got sleepy, so I went and took a nap. As I was preparing to sleep, I was thinking of Hecate and wondered what She truly wanted me to do. Come to find out, She just wanted me to listen to Her and not beat myself up about "why" She contacted me.

So, I may be going off on a tangent here, but as I woke up, I only felt one thing. I'm a Witch. I don't worship any deity, and in regards of Hecate, She just wants me to open myself to Her and Gaea. She's basically desiring to be my mentor in regards to magic and witchcraft. (The Goddess of Witches, maybe not, but the Goddess of this Witch, yes.) So I woke up, shuffled my tarot and in my mind just basically invoked Her energy and drew out the Two of Cups. This symbolizes, to me, a deep connection and a relationship. So, I'm taking that as Her saying, "If you'll listen, I'll help and guide you."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)