The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 16, 2019, 12:32:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 12:32:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Path Changes  (Read 4406 times)
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: January 28, 2009, 06:31:16 pm »

Interesting.
Is it really MMC or only triple?

Because as far as I know, being depicted as triple just means the rulership over different realms like over earth, sea and sky.
Hermes too, was depicted triple if I remember now correctly.

(I'd like to see a picture of that statue. I'll google that tomorrow.)
Good night for now Smiley

No, it was pretty obviously MMC -- a young women, and adult woman, and an old woman.  And the museum card said it was connected to the phases of the moon, though the translation was a bit eccentric. 

If you can find a picture, that would be awesome!  It was in a special exhibition ("Ancient Rhodes") that didn't allow photography, and I've been searching for an image ever since.  Here's the post I made not long after i saw it:

http://ecauldron.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,23.0.html

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: January 28, 2009, 06:34:59 pm »

I do have a question about Hecate though, to clear up a bit of misconception... Could Hecate be seen as a Moon Goddess or not? I always read/find that She is a Moon Goddess.

You might want to take a look at what Eihdos has put together. Not sure when she updated it last, but it's a good starting point, I think. She's also got a list of sources that would make a pretty good place to work from.

http://www.hekate.nu/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Satirna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 29, 2009, 09:34:03 pm

Religion: Seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 28, 2009, 07:04:31 pm »

Thanks. LyricFox.
Satirna
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 28, 2009, 07:43:47 pm »

Oh, a question...

When a Deity begins to appear in your life, do they always want worship or do they want relationship?

If I were to just be a Witch and work with systems of folk magic and just honor Hecate as not a Deity per se but as an ancient energy like that of a spirit guide, would I be doing Her injustice?

Here's why I ask, I enjoy mythology, but I also don't really see myself as one who worships Deity. Now, I believe those Deities are very real, but to me they are more like energies and deserve a lot of respect.

** I am testing waters with different questions just to see which path is the one I should follow. I just need to get a bit of help on how to push the other foot in front and dive into the water. **
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: January 28, 2009, 09:24:03 pm »

When a Deity begins to appear in your life, do they always want worship or do they want relationship?
Either, or both - or sometimes they're just taking a short-term interest because you need a push and they're willing to provide it.

IME, when they make themselves un-ignorably, smack-upside-the-head known to you, they're usually establishing a relationship (it can be possible to decline, if you really feel it's not the right thing for you, but as someone [Tana, I think] noted, avoidance doesn't work well).  That relationship will generally involve you honoring them in some manner, but doesn't necessarily require conventional forms of worship.

Your best bet is to ask her how she'd like you to honor her.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Satirna
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 28, 2009, 09:41:35 pm »

IME, when they make themselves un-ignorably, smack-upside-the-head known to you, they're usually establishing a relationship (it can be possible to decline, if you really feel it's not the right thing for you, but as someone [Tana, I think] noted, avoidance doesn't work well).  That relationship will generally involve you honoring them in some manner, but doesn't necessarily require conventional forms of worship.

Your best bet is to ask her how she'd like you to honor her.

That makes a lot of sense, from what I can tell, She just wants my attention at the moment. She knows why She got my attention and it just may be that although I may not be on a religious path, She may want to influence my Craft in a more spiritual way by giving me Her guidance, advice, thwappings, etc.
Darastrix
Apprentice
Last Login:April 19, 2009, 02:55:52 pm

Religion: Celtic Irish Witch

Morrigan Bless You! On second thought...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 09, 2009, 10:52:47 am »

Sorry if this sounded rant-ish, but I just am freaked out!

I now how you feel. Being claimed by the Morrigu was similar. I was 5 and my mom remembers me running out of my room crying saying "There is a scary lady in my room and she says I belong to her!" Over the years I have gotten used to being a "dark" goddess's plaything. I use the word "plaything" because I really don't see how marshmallow fluff me could be useful to Her. During puberty she really messed with me. Gave me situations where I had no choice but to do as She wanted. And at the time I was living in a fundi Christian household(fostercare). But I guess anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

"I may not be a lion, but I am a lion's cub and I have a lion's heart" -Queen Elizabeth I
"Curiousity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back"
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: February 09, 2009, 06:05:20 pm »

I use the word "plaything" because I really don't see how marshmallow fluff me could be useful to Her.
There's an answer to that right in your signature line. Cheesy

But I guess anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
I think the Morrigan has that embroidered on a sampler hanging in a prominent place on her sitting-room wall. Cheesy

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Sojourner
Apprentice
Last Login:June 22, 2015, 02:23:23 pm

Religion: ecclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 10, 2009, 05:44:34 pm »

I think the Morrigan has that embroidered on a sampler hanging in a prominent place on her sitting-room wall. Cheesy

Sunflower
I hear that!  I find myself saying that quite a bit since she's taken me on!  It's my mantra now.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)