The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 04:42:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 04:42:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What does piss of Gods/Goddesses?  (Read 7369 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 30, 2009, 10:42:35 am »

What do you think would piss of Gods/Goddesses?

What would you consider unwise in interacting with a specific God or Goddess?

What do you think are common newbie mistakes in interacting with deities?

Have you ever done anything a specific deity was annoyed of or not as impressed as you thought he/she should be?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 30, 2009, 11:32:10 am »

.. Do you mean piss offCheesy

Deliberately doing something you know they don't like, just to piss them off.

For Dionysos; squashing myself down, letting people walk all over me, claiming Dionysos is not a real god

For Bast; deliberately hurting a cat (or any animal, I suppose) that is not for their own good (an example of hurting for their own good would be imho getting them neutered/spayed, surgery to have cancer or tumours removed, etc).

Thinking that you can interchange them at whim and there won't be a difference.

Have you ever done anything a specific deity was annoyed of or not as impressed as you thought he/she should be?

Oh, probably. But I am trying to fix that, and push myself to do the things I promise to do. I think thats also another big mistake; to promise to do things and not follow through, or follow though to your fullest.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Mea
Master Member
Last Login:August 01, 2011, 08:07:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan
TCN ID: Mea

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 31, 2009, 08:16:50 am »

1.  Hubris.  Thinking that the tiny bit of knowledge i might have... makes me All That.

2. I think it is very unwise to make a vow  to Deity that i cannot follow thru on.

3. i think that newcomers might make promises that they cannot keep.

( it is only my thought that a Vow is a bigger commitment than a Promise, but both should be carried thru.)

4.  With out a doubt, but i cannot come up with specifics right now.   I'm human... not perfect...yet.

Mea.

Mother never really came home from Woodstock

* Some things must be believed, to be seen *
Trickster
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 12, 2009, 11:49:19 pm

Religion: Hermes Owned and Operated

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 31, 2009, 03:53:29 pm »

Depends on which deity you're talking about.

Putting no thought or effort into your dealings with them, and making promises you don't keep (especially if its in payment for something they did for you).

Believing that they can't be pissed off (that they are "above those sorts of petty emotions"), and thinking that anything you say or do is going to be perfectly acceptable, like its all about you and what you want, forgetting that a relationship is a two way street and there is a real independent being on the other end with wants and needs of their own that may not correspond to what you prefer they be.

He Who Owns Me has smacked me upside the head quite a number of times for slacking on the things he's told me to do. I am not so good with the daily routine thing, and its the one area he's ever really been angry with me over.

I've run into other deities that just simply don't like me; not because of anything I did, but we just clash for whatever the reason. When I made a libation to Artemis to help my sister through labor, the response I got from her was, "When you want something directly in my sphere and its for someone other than you, then you can call on me. Otherwise I don't want to see your shadow darkening my altar." I got no sense that it was anything I had done wrong, more of a you're icky, go away feeling. At the time, I didn't know this could happen (especially in Greek circles, its treated sometimes as a given that of course you worship all the gods, although that does seem to have cooled down somewhat) and it came as a shock. I've since met a number of people with similar encounters of their own that I think its common enough.

katkat42
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2010, 02:56:53 pm

Religion: Asatru

Hee!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 02, 2009, 04:06:17 pm »

Hmmm... Hubris, as Mea said.  Expecting to be a God/dess's Special Servant, or get Special Gifts from them, just because you like them. 
On the flipside, I've found that the Norse pantheon, at least, doesn't think much of those who won't take responsibility for themselves.  These are the people who want a god/dess to Just Make It All Go Away so they can live in Peace and Shiny Rainbows and things.  Basically, acting like an annoying fanboy/fangirl, or looking for someone upon whom to dump all one's life's problems is enough to annoy anyone, the Gods included. :-)

Assuming you'll have an intimate relationship right away (also known as "too much, too soon").  Going to the wrong patron for one's problem.  (Odin has better things to do with his time than listen to someone whine about their problems at work -- He's been known to sacrifice himself for the sake of his work, the pursuit of wisdom!)  Assuming the Gods are interchangeable based on their areas of specialty.

Hah!  I've described before how I got upset with Frigga after our house got broken into.  Honestly, I'm lucky she didn't get any more pissed off than she was.  But, she kindly let me know that my expectations were unrealistic, that she wasn't all-powerful for the simple, logical reason that she is not the only diety out there, and that self-made home protection schemes were going to reduce my chance of a repeat break-in more than her favor or even her protection ever could.

After that, I shut up, apologized, gave Her a gift, installed an alarm system and some cameras, and screwed shut some windows (including the one the burglars had pried open, breaking the lock in the process).
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 03, 2009, 02:06:01 am »

Thank you all for the interesting answers!

What do you think of spells and charms including deities? I'll give you an example:

Quote from: Campanelli: Ancient Ways, p. 8
By life giving Sun and mystical Moon,
I conjur this charm to grant a boone.
[...]
A charm of magickal power this will be,
By Artemis and Apollo, so mote it be!

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: February 03, 2009, 08:44:16 am »

What do you think of spells and charms including deities?

They seem to common in almost all cultures and throughout history. If they bothered the deities that much, I'd think they'd have done something asbout it by now.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Trickster
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 12, 2009, 11:49:19 pm

Religion: Hermes Owned and Operated

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 03, 2009, 04:44:40 pm »

What do you think of spells and charms including deities?

I don't see the harm. They are common in many religions, the example given is far from rude or commanding of the gods in question. The most you can do either way is ask for their assistance, if they choose not to help no charm can compel them otherwise.

KitsuneinDreams
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 10, 2010, 08:30:19 am

Religion: Devotee of Minerva

Nunc ades o coeptis, flava Minerva, meiss

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 04, 2009, 07:19:14 pm »

Assuming you'll have an intimate relationship right away (also known as "too much, too soon").  Going to the wrong patron for one's problem.  (Odin has better things to do with his time than listen to someone whine about their problems at work -- He's been known to sacrifice himself for the sake of his work, the pursuit of wisdom!)  Assuming the Gods are interchangeable based on their areas of specialty.

I have to agree with this. They are called relationships with the Gods and Goddesses because they are just that, a relationship you have to work at. I once used to work with Freyja a lot, but at one point I began overshadowing her during my work with Cernunnos. I could tell this upset her because I began to lose touch of things, began having some problems with my spiritual work, I realized that she must have felt that I was using her for a certain task, and when it was finished I dumped her. This is, of course, not my intention, but I had to make that clear and change how I approached working with her.

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 04, 2009, 11:53:24 pm »

Depends on which deity you're talking about.

Putting no thought or effort into your dealings with them, and making promises you don't keep (especially if its in payment for something they did for you).

Believing that they can't be pissed off (that they are "above those sorts of petty emotions"), and thinking that anything you say or do is going to be perfectly acceptable, like its all about you and what you want, forgetting that a relationship is a two way street and there is a real independent being on the other end with wants and needs of their own that may not correspond to what you prefer they be.

Yes. I have to agree with all of this.

Concerning the third point I've seen on a number of other forums where someone will express worry at having upset a deity or possibly doing so, and there will be a flood of responses telling them not to worry, that's not possible, the gods cannot be angered, and are above such things. But of course these people always seem to believe that the gods will be happy and delighted with everything that you might do. This strikes me as a bit off-balance. Certainly some gods are easier to anger than others, or angered easier by some people than others (hehe...my mere presence in a ritual sees to be enough to ire Brigid, for reasons well beyond my knowledge.) but it seems to me that eventually, they can..though you might not necessarily be the one to set them off so you might not see it. But if they can't be angered then why can they be happy?

The logic, it escapes.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 09, 2009, 10:14:47 am »

What do you think would piss off Gods/Goddesses?

Not doing what you say you're going to do is right up there with my gods.  To give a specific example, I promised Bridget I would always render aid where needed when I am able.  That means exactly that.  If I am able to help someone, it is my responsibility to do so.  I cannot pick and choose who I help.  My husband's uncle, for example, is a drunk and can be a raging jerk, but he needs me to make him his skin treatment several times a year.  I really don't care for the man, but I can't say "Nope, not going to help you because you're a jerk."  To do so would likely result in withdrawl of Her patronage of my work.

I honestly cannot think of a deity I can say "don't work with them", period/paragraph about.  There are, naturally, deity that I wouldn't recommend one work with casually.  That would be all of them.  Deity are like us, but then again, they're not, and to work with deity casually, that doesn't seem appropriate ever.

Treating them as plug-and-play energies.  "I need a god and a goddess for this ritual.  I know, I'll call on Cernennos and Kali!  Yeah, that'll work..."  AHHH!  Far too many of the 101 level books make it seem like you can toss a bunch of names in a hat and just draw one.  Treating gods in such a manner is rather like treating people in the same manner.  It is disrespectful and inefficient at the very least. 

Yeah.  I have.  I've fallen short of the mark numerous times.  I've misgauged what would be most appropriate and made piss-poor choices in my own life that my gods weren't real thrilled with. 

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: February 09, 2009, 10:18:26 am »

Treating them as plug-and-play energies.  "I need a god and a goddess for this ritual.  I know, I'll call on Cernennos and Kali!  Yeah, that'll work..."  AHHH!  Far too many of the 101 level books make it seem like you can toss a bunch of names in a hat and just draw one.  Treating gods in such a manner is rather like treating people in the same manner.  It is disrespectful and inefficient at the very least. 

Which I suppose is the cue to drop in this old favourite:
http://www.accendi.net/putf/archives/?strip=002

...Hee.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 09, 2009, 10:20:56 am »

Which I suppose is the cue to drop in this old favourite:
http://www.accendi.net/putf/archives/?strip=002

...Hee.

YES!  My cue worked!

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: February 09, 2009, 10:21:59 am »

1.  My only relationship is with Brighid (at Her demand), so I can only speak to that one relationship.  The two things that I know would not be looked upon favorably (I think "piss off" might be too strong for this, but I'm not sure and I don't want to find out) are:

A) Denying Her -- that is, pretending She's not real or that I have anything to do with Her.  That puts me in a tight spot sometimes if get asked a direct question but don't want to answer for whatever reason.

B)  Trying to reach out to any other deities.  I think this one is specific to me, though.  I don't think most other people have this restriction.  But, again, I'm not sure.

2)  Ummm.  I'm not sure.  W/R/T Brighid, I think one unwise thing might be to approach Her lightly or when unprepared.  In my experience, She is quite gentle, but can also make it clear that She expects you to be the best you can be.  Thinking you can just lightly call on Her or "use" Her, because She has a reputation as a nice, friendly goddess, would probably either be ignored or would earn you a smack.

3)  As others have said, the idea that you can "use" a deity to do whatever you want them to.  Similarly, assuming the gods are at your beck and call and will come running whenever you "invoke" them.  And not understanding the need to express thanks for help you've received.

4)  I got smacked for not acknowledging my own strength and worth -- basically, for whining.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 12, 2009, 01:43:54 pm »

LOL, those comics made my evening yesterday.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)