The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 03, 2021, 01:11:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 03, 2021, 01:11:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magickal Tools and Elemental Symbolism  (Read 3082 times)
Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member
Last Login:February 11, 2012, 04:39:54 am
United States United States

Religion: Ecclectic Bard

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 31, 2009, 03:03:20 pm »

I am referring specifically to the Wand and Athame.  There are different traditions that hold the Wand as Fire and the Athame as Air, and those that conversely hold the Athame as Fire and the Wand as Air.  Now, I have felt inclined to think of the Athame as fire and the Wand as Air, but what I've heard of specific tradition generally seems to suggest otherwise.  The Four Treasures of Ireland held by the Tuatha de Danaan are supposed to include a sword that represents air . . . or at least that is the association given to it nowadays.  If you look at it from a Tarot Standpoint, Swords is related to Air, while Wands is Fire.  And of course, the associations of swords applies to athames by extention, even though they are more specific.

So, in light of the different takes on the tools' elemental correspondences, I was interested in hearing some arguments in favor of a particular set of correspondences.

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 31, 2009, 08:22:39 pm »

So, in light of the different takes on the tools' elemental correspondences, I was interested in hearing some arguments in favor of a particular set of correspondences.

All UPG, and not really an argument -- just my view.

Personally, I hold the wand as air and the athame (or knife, w/e) as fire. I have never been able to wrap my head around the other way, and I think it may be because I know logically that knives are forged in flame -- so they should be representative of flame, in my view. As for wands being representative of air -- well, honestly my particular wand is representative of all the elements. I carved it out of a piece of driftwood, so that's earth, air, and water right there -- the sunlight that I found it in or the fire of the blade I used to whittle it would be the fire. But it's a very light wand, and I found it on a breezy day. It speaks 'air' to me, while I know that it contains all the elements.

I suppose part of the reason wands speak air to me is that when I use one I'm 'waving it through the air' -- not really waving, but moving it. It sort of becomes one with the air when I use it.  Undecided Sorry, I've never put this into words before -- I hope my meaning is clear.  Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
kaarne
Apprentice
Last Login:June 14, 2009, 04:07:01 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 02, 2009, 11:25:35 am »

I am not commenting the main topic, only two other things that you mention on your post.

If you look at it from a Tarot Standpoint, Swords is related to Air, while Wands is Fire.  And of course, the associations of swords applies to athames by extention, even though they are more specific.

You mention the Tarot Standpoint on elemental associations. There isn't really such, but several different tarot traditions. Originally the tarot suits were cups, swords, batons and coins (not wands and pentacles!). They had no inherent elemental associations because you can't find such things in centuries old tarot decks. People have later designed tarot decks with elemental associations. They simply added the associations that they thought were correct or appropriate. That's why there are decks with different elemental associations. You are likely thinking about Rider-Waite-Smith and Thoth decks, but there are different systems like El Gran Tarot Esoterico, too.

The Four Treasures of Ireland held by the Tuatha de Danaan are supposed to include a sword that represents air . . . or at least that is the association given to it nowadays.

I have heard that elemental associations of The Four Treasures are an invention of the 19th century. I hope someone more knowledgeable can comment this.
Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 02, 2009, 02:02:24 pm »

I have heard that elemental associations of The Four Treasures are an invention of the 19th century. I hope someone more knowledgeable can comment this.
This may well be.  I considered this, in light of a past discussion of whether or not the ancient Celts conceptualized the 4 elements as such.  What seemed to be the consensus was that they did not, and that they instead used the trio of Land, Sea, and Air as more of a cosmology than elemental forces.  So I understand that point, which is why I added the qualification that it is how they are viewed today.

And yes, I was thinking of the Rider-Waite Tarot.

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 02, 2009, 02:11:59 pm »

Personally, I hold the wand as air and the athame (or knife, w/e) as fire. I have never been able to wrap my head around the other way, and I think it may be because I know logically that knives are forged in flame -- so they should be representative of flame, in my view.
I had the same idea about the athame beign forged in fire.  Similarly, I think of the wooden wand being associated with the biological process of respiration, and thus tied with air.  Arguments to the contrary seem to have more to do with symbolism than with their literaly qualities, though.  I've heard arguments that suggest that do to associations with change, wand should be fire (seems to be a Rider Tarot based argument). 

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 03, 2009, 02:26:53 am »

Arguments to the contrary seem to have more to do with symbolism than with their literaly qualities, though.
If there are any 'literal qualities' at all.

And there are also more aspects to them then just the way they were made. I've seen a Tai Chi Chuan sword form which very light, airy and also precise/pointed movements while stick/wand is less precise and looks much more 'brutal' in a 'primitive' way.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)