The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 07:54:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 07:54:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for Lavender?  (Read 4183 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 08, 2009, 08:23:21 pm »

I need ideas for sachets, etc. that include lavender. I've been growing it lately and want to use it in some sort of relaxation spell (I'm one the most up-tight people alive). I've been really busy with school, which is one reason I haven't been on really for months, and I haven't done a spell in so long, it's like my brain has stopped thinking that way. I'm also open to non-magical ways for using lavender, but I'd like to start doing spell work again. All I really need are a few ideas to get my creativity going for.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 08, 2009, 09:19:42 pm »

I need ideas for sachets, etc. that include lavender. I've been growing it lately and want to use it in some sort of relaxation spell (I'm one the most up-tight people alive). I've been really busy with school, which is one reason I haven't been on really for months, and I haven't done a spell in so long, it's like my brain has stopped thinking that way. I'm also open to non-magical ways for using lavender, but I'd like to start doing spell work again. All I really need are a few ideas to get my creativity going for.

Ever though of doing a dream pillow?  Having a scent I love in a pillow or by my night stand helps me relax at night, keeps away bad dreams, and helps me wake up in a good mood.

You can also make a witch's bottle. Place slips of paper with good thoughts, hopes, or dreams written on them inside a bottle or jar and fill it with lavender and other favorite herbs or dried flowers.  You can even decorate the bottle however you like with beads, charms, stones, or whatever you feel will give it a positive charge. Don't cork it and set it by your bed, desk, or where ever you need some positive energy via the scent. Corking it when not in use will probably preserve the scent longer.

You could also make a little net bag filled with lavender and tied with a ribbon to wear. I am big on aromas influencing moods. If you can, try to keep special scents about you that you know have a positive influence on your mood. You will be amazed at their power.

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 08, 2009, 09:26:50 pm »

Ever though of doing a dream pillow?  Having a scent I love in a pillow or by my night stand helps me relax at night, keeps away bad dreams, and helps me wake up in a good mood.

How much lavender would I have to use in order to smell it from my pillow or bedside table, and how long it last? I think that would be a really good idea because I do my homework in bed, which stresses me out.

I hadn't even thought of a witch's bottle. I think I'll make one. It sounds fun. thanks!

Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 12, 2009, 11:21:17 am »

How much lavender would I have to use in order to smell it from my pillow or bedside table, and how long it last?
For a small pillow about 8"x8" you shouldn't need more than about 1/2oz of lavender and a little stuffing, plus a few drops of lavender oil.  You'll need to add a few drops of oil every now and then to refresh the fragrance, and when you're not using it, place it in a zipper bag in a dark place.  The fragrance will strengthen that way.  I had one for years and only needed to refresh it about once a year.

Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 12, 2009, 11:43:57 am »

You could also make a little net bag filled with lavender and tied with a ribbon to wear. I am big on aromas influencing moods. If you can, try to keep special scents about you that you know have a positive influence on your mood. You will be amazed at their power.

I personally have a bag similar to this hanging on my key holder right inside my front door. I used dried lavender, but a drop or two of essential oil in the middle does retain the scent much longer. Every time I walk in my front door I can smell it, and it helps to relax me.

Also, I used to get migraines, A LOT. In folklore and herbal practices lavender is used for headaches (among many other things) and when ever I feel one coming on I take a deep breath of my bag and it helps to ease the tension. I suppose one could argue that I got it in my head (placebo effect type stuff) lavender would help - so it does.... but if I can inhale a scent and meditate instead of putting fioricet, imitrex and pain pills in my body (even if it only works because I convince myself it will) I'll take it.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 12, 2009, 12:12:15 pm »

I make heat therapy bags with lavender.  It's just a flannel sock filled about half way with rice and lavender.  You heat it up in the microwave for a minute or two and it's great for cramps, neck tension, etc.  It smells wonderful.  I also make linen sachets with it.
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 12, 2009, 03:11:43 pm »

I use lavender in bath salts. A 50/50 mix of Epsom Salts and coarse rock or sea salt with lavender flowers and some lavender essential oil. One of my favourite bath salts recipes....

Relaxing, Calm Bath Salts

1 cup salt mix,
1 tsp each lavender flowers, rosemary leaves and chamomile flowers,
10 drops lavender oil,
10 drops rosemary oil,
5 drops chamomile oil.

(Caution: Essential oils should be treated with care and avoided when pregnant, except on the advice of a qualified practitioner. Rosemary oil should be avoided by people with high blood pressure.)

I make the salts up and then 'charge' them with happy, calm thoughts and use about 1/4 cup or a small handful per bath.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 13, 2009, 05:39:46 pm »

For a small pillow about 8"x8" you shouldn't need more than about 1/2oz of lavender and a little stuffing, plus a few drops of lavender oil.  You'll need to add a few drops of oil every now and then to refresh the fragrance, and when you're not using it, place it in a zipper bag in a dark place.  The fragrance will strengthen that way.  I had one for years and only needed to refresh it about once a year.

Thanks. Can I get it at whole foods, or should I go to a pagan shop?

Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 13, 2009, 05:53:23 pm »

Is your whole foods a local shop?  I'd go to whichever was local.  I try to keep my spending local to myself.  I figure that helps my local economy, which can't but help me.

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 13, 2009, 05:57:28 pm »

Is your whole foods a local shop?  I'd go to whichever was local.  I try to keep my spending local to myself.  I figure that helps my local economy, which can't but help me.

Whole Foods are in a lot of places, they sell organic food and other stuff.

Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 14, 2009, 02:34:27 am »

Whole Foods are in a lot of places, they sell organic food and other stuff.

Okay, sounds familiar but I live in a town where we have one very tiny natural food store and I don't get out much.  Cheesy

Like I said, I prefer to buy from locally owned businesses, since I like to keep the Mom and Pop stores open and running.  Only when they can't provide do I go to the chains.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: February 14, 2009, 08:02:10 am »

I don't know for certain, as we don't have a Whole Foods, but bulk lavender and essential oils strike me as the sort of thing they ought to carry.  (At least, these are things I can get at local stores specializing in the same sort of area.)  I tend to recommend shopping local first as well, but at the same time...  I do sometimes find that the local places just don't have what I need, or they have it but at an astronomical price, and frankly some local places are just, er, not great in general--poor service, a shop that isn't kept clean and well-lit, a place that's completely disorganized and makes it impossible to find things...  One of the local markets has a more-or-less permanent smell that makes me wary of buying any food there.  And in those cases I find myself obliged to go elsewhere, because those places just are not meeting my needs as a shopper.  Most local places are great, don't get me wrong.  I'm just saying I'm not automatically going to go with the local place just because it's local; it has to meet my needs as well.

Anyway.  All of that is a long-winded way to say:  Provided that both the local pagan shop and Whole Foods have this stuff, my suggestion would be to comparison-shop and go with whichever seems best to you.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 14, 2009, 11:05:54 am »

I do sometimes find that the local places just don't have what I need, or they have it but at an astronomical price, and frankly some local places are just, er, not great in general--poor service, a shop that isn't kept clean and well-lit, a place that's completely disorganized and makes it impossible to find things...  One of the local markets has a more-or-less permanent smell that makes me wary of buying any food there.  And in those cases I find myself obliged to go elsewhere, because those places just are not meeting my needs as a shopper.

When I was in DSM that's how one of the local esoteric shops was, and there was also this weird vibe about the place that made me feel like I needed to take a shower after going in there.

Local is my preference, but if the shop is like described, go with the chain! 

Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 14, 2009, 12:07:52 pm »

Yes, Whole Foods carries the Aura Casia Line of Essential Oils. They are cheaper there than at any of our smaller metaphysical shops that carry the same brand.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 15, 2009, 06:07:19 pm »

Yes, Whole Foods carries the Aura Casia Line of Essential Oils. They are cheaper there than at any of our smaller metaphysical shops that carry the same brand.

Ok, good. I'll try there first.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)