The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 15, 2019, 06:47:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 06:47:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding the right Rituals for me  (Read 8874 times)
Midnight
Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2009, 04:10:52 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 12, 2009, 04:49:25 pm »

Hi, thank-you to whoever reads this post and I hope this can answer some other newbies as well.  Smiley

I've been doing some research on the Wheel of The Year and now that I have my dates figured out, my problem now is Where can I find all the Rituals I need? I'm not a Wicca, I consider myself an Earth-Based Pagan.  I have viewed your Rituals link and found a good Ritual for Samhain, but do I have to make an alter of some sort for this? I'm a little confused, but I'm not impossible.

If someone out there could give me something brief or even step-by-step instructions (if your not busy), because I'm just starting with the Rituals and I'd hate to do them incorrectly.

Thank-You,
Midnight

Midnight

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

pqgmama
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 18, 2009, 10:02:13 pm
United States United States

Religion: searching again-pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 12, 2009, 04:54:50 pm »

Hi, thank-you to whoever reads this post and I hope this can answer some other newbies as well.  Smiley

If someone out there could give me something brief or even step-by-step instructions (if your not busy), because I'm just starting with the Rituals and I'd hate to do them incorrectly.

Thank-You,
Midnight

Midnight, hope you don't mind if I add my question to your thread, because it's kind of similar.

I can memorize the ritual and do all the necessary 'movements' and gestures. But what else should be going on? The few times I've performed a ritual, I didn't really feel anything.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 12, 2009, 06:49:44 pm »

Well, considering the Wheel of the Year was created by Wiccans, I suggest checking out books dealing with the Wheel of the Year from that perspective, and then go from there (since you said your not Wiccan). I think its definitely worth the look to see what the original celebrations meant, which will probably lead you to research on the ancient festivals these were based on.

Hope this helps! Smiley

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Midnight
Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 12, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »

Well, considering the Wheel of the Year was created by Wiccans, I suggest checking out books dealing with the Wheel of the Year from that perspective, and then go from there (since you said your not Wiccan). I think its definitely worth the look to see what the original celebrations meant, which will probably lead you to research on the ancient festivals these were based on.

Hope this helps! Smiley

Ok, thanks I'll try that.

Midnight
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 12, 2009, 07:39:49 pm »

Ok, thanks I'll try that.

May I recommend the Farrar's "The Witches' Bible" (or the first component that is part of it, "Eight Sabbats for Witches") as a good starting place? 

I'm in search of an early hardcover copy of the latter for our coven library.  It is an excellent resource.

Midnight
Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 12, 2009, 08:35:53 pm »

May I recommend the Farrar's "The Witches' Bible" (or the first component that is part of it, "Eight Sabbats for Witches") as a good starting place? 

I'm in search of an early hardcover copy of the latter for our coven library.  It is an excellent resource.

Ok, i'll search for that book.  I have also found a website from Crystal Forest, it has all the Rituals on it and explains how to do them, i thought it could help other Newbies like myself (just mainly for the history lesson).

http://crystalforest3.homestead.com/sabbat.html

Midnight
Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 12, 2009, 08:48:26 pm »

Ok, i'll search for that book.  I have also found a website from Crystal Forest, it has all the Rituals on it and explains how to do them, i thought it could help other Newbies like myself (just mainly for the history lesson).

http://crystalforest3.homestead.com/sabbat.html

I wish I could tell you if it were a good site or not, but I have old eyes that do NOT like white text on black backgrounds and I can't read more than a sentence before my eyes start to hurt. 

Can anyone read that and give us a quick review?  Is it a good site?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 08, 2019, 06:25:26 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: February 13, 2009, 12:13:26 am »

I wish I could tell you if it were a good site or not, but I have old eyes that do NOT like white text on black backgrounds and I can't read more than a sentence before my eyes start to hurt. 

Can anyone read that and give us a quick review?  Is it a good site?
Well, I can stand white-on-black if things are otherwise fairly simple.

Whaddaya know, I was just pondering the hypothetical existence of folks like these - that is, ones who set their solstices/equinoxes astrologically rather than astronomically.

There's plenty of dicey history here, even just at a quick glance.  Not all of it is inaccurate, but enough that I advise using lots of salt (by the look of it, using lots of Hutton would also be effective).  So, Midnight, "mainly for the history lesson" doesn't really work.  The lesson here is, there's a heck of a lot of Bad History in Pagandom.

I'd also advise against considering it authorative about anything.  That doesn't mean it's not useful.  It's what I think of as a "lore dump" - lots and lots of info, but not much discrimination, and no easy way for a reader to sort solid info from BS.  For what Midnight is doing - constructing a personal, solitary practice that uses (some components of) a Wiccish frame but isn't Wiccan - it could be quite helpful; the trick is for him to pick out whatever tidbits resonate for him, and make use of them solely because they resonate for him, realizing that they might not be meaningful in any other context.

I'm strongly seconding Mattie's recommendation of the Farrars' book - I was thinking of it myself before I read her post.  I'm also going to suggest Mike Nichols' writings on the sabbats.  (I could probably come up with a heap of other suggestions, but I'm getting low on time.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 08, 2019, 06:25:26 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: February 13, 2009, 12:22:14 am »

I've been doing some research on the Wheel of The Year and now that I have my dates figured out, my problem now is Where can I find all the Rituals I need? I'm not a Wicca, I consider myself an Earth-Based Pagan.  I have viewed your Rituals link and found a good Ritual for Samhain, but do I have to make an alter of some sort for this? I'm a little confused, but I'm not impossible.

Unless there's some specific path/tradition of earth-based Paganism you want to follow (and I'm gathering that, at this point, you don't know enough about what's out there to say if there is or not), there really isn't any set script you have to use for rituals.  It can be good to have a script, or at least a ritual outline, to make sure you stay focused, but there isn't a One Right Way.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 13, 2009, 12:24:59 am »

Well, I can stand white-on-black if things are otherwise fairly simple.

I'm also going to suggest Mike Nichols' writings on the sabbats.

Sunflower

Thank you.  I'll second the Nichols stuff.  He's reliable.

ivy
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 24, 2009, 09:31:27 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 13, 2009, 01:33:08 am »

I'm just starting with the Rituals and I'd hate to do them incorrectly.
There is no wrong or right way. Since you say you are not Wiccan, (neither am I), it is best to start with homemade/nature-based rituals that include the changing of the seasons/full moon. I have been with an eclectic group for three years and we have incorporated all types of pantheons and traditions into our ceremonies. I  find this illuminating, uplifting, (a lot of energy is raised) and a lot of fun. Here are photos of some our rituals. http://witches.meetup.com/1384/photos/

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:15:10 am by Steve - ComW, Reason: Unnessasary font modification » Logged
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: February 13, 2009, 03:16:56 am »

Ivy

please be aware you shouldn't bold you entire answer like that; it can make things harder for people. (me especcially in this case. I Couldn't read your post except in isolation)

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 09, 2019, 07:18:34 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 13, 2009, 05:45:31 am »

As Sunflower says, if you're not working in a specific defined path, this isn't so much about 'right' and 'wrong' as which set of patterns you're interested in. There are several different reasonably common variants of how to look at the wheel of the year.

1) A set of deity-focused mythology,
tracing the life and interaction of Goddess and God through the course of a year.

Yule: The Goddess gives birth to the (sun) God
Imbolc : He is a small child, she continues to nurture him.
Ostara: In some versions, they're both children together. (Otherwise, he continues to grow)
Beltane: They are young lovers (think teens)
Litha: They are married (more mature commitment in relationship)
Lammas and Mabon: Harvest festivals, commonly with the sacrifice of the God for the good of the harvest taking place at one or the other of these two Sabbats
Samhain: The God as lord of the underworld, the Goddess mourning him, and the bridge between the world of the living and those who have died.

1a) A variation, with the Oak and Holly kings.
In this myth cycle, there are two God figures, and they each rule for 6 months of the year. Some traditions have them switch at the equinoxes, some at the solstices (personally, I think the equinoxes make more sense.)

2) The Sabbats as marking the seasons - as mentioned, these vary depending on where you live. The following are mine, for Minnestoa.

Yule: The longest night, and the return of the sun.
Imbolc: I usually refer to this as "Maybe, some day, it will stop being winter." (This year, we've had a lovely thaw which actually feels like it might be spring.)
Ostara: The first real signs of things getting green and fertile. You start seeing flowers, the leaf buds, grass, etc.
Beltane: Fertility, greening of the world, the beginning of the real growing season.
Summer solstice: A pause in the work of the growing season - celebration, reflection on how you're going to harvest.
Lammas: The first signs of the grain harvest (also berries).
Mabon: Further harvest.
Samhain: Last harvest, often the culling of the herds

3) A cycle of personal transformation
(based on the seasonal cycle, but much more personal.)

Planting seeds for a personal goal around Imbolc, nurturing them over the course of the spring and summer, harvesting the work in the fall, and then reflecting and resting in the dark of the year.

Many people combine one or more of these in some way - there's a bunch of different variables.

Dates

There's a couple of different date options. The traditional ones are that the solstices and equinoxes are on the date of the astronomical event (somewhere between the 21st and 23rd of December, March, June, and September respectively), and the other four on Feb. 2nd, May 1st, August 2nd, and Oct. 31st.)

Another way to do the dates is astrological - this is not one I use, so I'd have to look up the details, but it's at 15 degrees of the relevant sign (so Samhain is in Scorpio, for example.) This usually puts it around the 8th-10th of the month.

And then there's the practical aspect: a lot of groups (and individuals) will obviously adjust scheduling depending on when is feasible. My coven generally does our Sabbat celebrations on the weekend - it gives us more time to relax and take our time than a worknight does.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
ivy
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 24, 2009, 09:31:27 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 13, 2009, 12:38:07 pm »

Ivy

please be aware you shouldn't bold you entire answer like that; it can make things harder for people. (me especcially in this case. I Couldn't read your post except in isolation)
Sorry...didn't know that
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 13, 2009, 12:48:43 pm »

There's plenty of dicey history here, even just at a quick glance.  Not all of it is inaccurate, but enough that I advise using lots of salt (by the look of it, using lots of Hutton would also be effective).  So, Midnight, "mainly for the history lesson" doesn't really work.  The lesson here is, there's a heck of a lot of Bad History in Pagandom.

Quite dicey, some of it downright wrong, with no sources cited for anything. Though they have a recommended reading list, but heavy on the "not recommended" stuff.

Oh, and their ""what is paganism" page hurts my brain.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)