The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 07, 2021, 04:36:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 07, 2021, 04:36:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient gods in a modern world?  (Read 25900 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #45: February 14, 2009, 09:35:41 pm »

I have no clue Cheesy

Google suggests to me (though, not being astrologically-inclined, I have no idea how accurate this is) that it came out of retrograde on February 1 and won't go back until May.  Which is really too damned bad, because it means I can't use it as an excuse for how poor my communication has been for the past few days!  LOL

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #46: February 15, 2009, 04:52:36 am »

Sorry, didn't want to sound know-it-all or something.

I didn't thought you would Wink

I like the Goddess Oracle - really.
And it is really useful, but one has to take it from the principle and maybe archetype POV.

Those cards are maybe not for recons  Grin Grin Grin
They might get a headache or so  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: February 17, 2009, 08:42:55 am »

Principally I agree, I'm not able to speak much from own experiences here, but it sounds logical to me.

Does anyone have ideas about Artemis in this regard? I don't have much experience, but the few I have in dreams and meditations have all taken place in a forest. So it's a bit hard to tell. The forest itsself didn't look ancient or originally wild. It looked like any forest I could be in today. Sorry that I can't contribute much here.

It's worth remembering that the most powerful deities often have significant overlap in Their spheres of influence. Artemis has two epithets which relate to city-dwellers, Sosipolis, "Savior Of The City", and Soteira, "Savior Goddess". I distinctly remember reading somewhere that deities were given the 'Savior' epithet when it was believed that a city or town was saved through the Goddess' or God's direct intervention.

Artemis is also known as a Goddess who upholds justice. She acts as judge, jury, and executioner to those who have incurred Her wrath.

She may not care whether the forest itself is old growth or new, with regard to its value as a place for communicating with Her worshippers. I live in a place as densely populated as Western Europe, and yet we have more forests now than a hundred years ago. Much of the land itself has an extremely complex history of human use. 99% of the trees were killed during a hurricane seventy years ago. A flood devastated my hometown fifty years ago, and the construction of a dam required one of our ten villages to be permanently flooded. That whole area is a parkland now, a picturesque lake. A crumbling road through the swamp is all that remains of its former human residents and their broken dreams.

Artemis took back what was rightfully Hers, and punished our community for allowing its rivers to be poisoned with every kind of industrial waste.

The Deathless Ones are vastly more complex, than the simple archetypes that some would have you believe. They are not always 'sugar and spice and everything nice', like the American expression about little girls.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #48: February 17, 2009, 11:22:32 am »

It's worth remembering that the most powerful deities often have significant overlap in Their spheres of influence. Artemis has two epithets which relate to city-dwellers, Sosipolis, "Savior Of The City", and Soteira, "Savior Goddess". I distinctly remember reading somewhere that deities were given the 'Savior' epithet when it was believed that a city or town was saved through the Goddess' or God's direct intervention.
I came across this and it makes me wonder as her dislike of cities is indicated somewhere else:

Quote from: Callimachus Hymn
seldom is it that Artemis goes down to the town. On the mountains will I dwell and the cities of men I will visit only when women vexed by the sharp pang of childbirth call me to their aid

Maybe the city did something to gain her favor? Do you know the story behind it?

Btw, is there any indication she dislikes offerings in cities or buildings? Of course worship in nature would be preferable, but what about little offerings?

Artemis is also known as a Goddess who upholds justice. She acts as judge, jury, and executioner to those who have incurred Her wrath.
Not a personality I would want to cross and she's good with that bow.

Artemis took back what was rightfully Hers, and punished our community for allowing its rivers to be poisoned with every kind of industrial waste.
I'm in no place to judge that incident. There's no proof about what the gods influence and what they don't.

The Deathless Ones are vastly more complex, than the simple archetypes that some would have you believe. They are not always 'sugar and spice and everything nice', like the American expression about little girls.
I don't believe her to be an archetype and I don't find her cute at all. I find her rather scary to be honest. Not that she isn't perfectly beautiful and loveable, but there's such a terrifying power behind her appearance. Could be me inexperience though, maybe everyone feels that way in first encounters with deities?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: February 17, 2009, 07:43:40 pm »

I came across this and it makes me wonder as her dislike of cities is indicated somewhere else:

Maybe the city did something to gain her favor? Do you know the story behind it?

* snip *

Btw, is there any indication she dislikes offerings in cities or buildings?

Researching the epithet Artemis Soteira, I came upon this entry at the always wonderful theoi.com:

http://www.theoi.com/Cult/ArtemisCult.html

I gleaned some interesting tidbits, which I paraphrase below:

The Battle of Marathon was won against the Persians on the 6th day of the month of Thargelion (6th day being the monthly holy day of Artemis) 490 B.C., and 500 goats were sacrificed by the Athenians.

The Athenians had slain a she-bear (sacred to Artemis, note her epithet Arktos "Bear") in the town of Mounykhia. A famine struck the town shortly thereafter, and a soothsayer prophesied that the only way to end it was for a daughter of Mounykhia to be sacrificed to Artemis. A local priest of Artemis, a clever man by the name of Baros, dressed his daughter as the intended sacrifice and had her remain inside the temple. Meanwhile, a goat dressed in his daughter's clothing was sacrificed to the Goddess instead.

(Side note: I hope that Artemis had a sense of humor that time, and showed mercy on the town.)

Similarly, a she-bear was slain at Brauron, and a plague was unleashed upon Athens. Henceforth, an oracle stated that all [virginal] girls between the ages of five and ten were required to 'play the bear', to ritually pay the blood price set by Artemis for the she-bear. 'Playing the bear' entailed dressing up in saffron-colored robes, and pretending to be bears during a major local festival of Artemis. No Athenian virgin could be given in marriage, who did not 'play the bear'.

The Megarians also gave the Goddess credit for saving their city from the warlord Mardonios, among other examples.

There are other instances in the article, of Artemis being given epithets like Phosphoros ("Bringer Of Light"), Paidotrophos ("Nurse Of Children"), Hegemone ("War Leader"). These have little to do with Her role in the wild. There were also temples dedicated to Her, found within cities.

That's not to say that Her major spheres of influence probably aren't the wildnerness, hunting, the rigors of outdoor life, young girls and childbirth (among others). It's just that She also has other aspects, as attested in the article.

Callimachus' personal beliefs about Artemis may have been shaped by local attitudes, or his own UPG with regard to Artemis. This is not to say that I know any better than Callimachus, far from it. I'm only saying that there seems to have been a diversity of opinion about Her willingness to aid city-dwelling mortals. I could of course be wrong.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #50: February 18, 2009, 02:16:16 am »

I wasn't argueing the point, I was just curious on how those epithets match together. Thanks for the interesting post. Smiley

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #51: February 24, 2009, 05:51:19 am »

As a follow up question:

It's a touchy subject, but what do you think about human sacrifices in archaic times?

• Is it something the gods no longer want?
  • Is it something humans have interpreted the gods to want, but they could have been satisfied with something else even in archaic times? (Like they care more about the symbology or accept other types of sacrifice than one to the death.)
  • Would the gods still like it, but do accept that we humans don't sacrifice our own kind to death anymore?

stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: February 24, 2009, 06:16:01 am »

As a follow up question:

It's a touchy subject, but what do you think about human sacrifices in archaic times?

• Is it something humans have interpreted the gods to want, but they could have been satisfied with something else even in archaic times? (Like they care more about the symbology or accept other types of sacrifice than one to the death.)
  • Would the gods still like it, but do accept that we humans don't sacrifice our own kind to death anymore?

I suspect it depends on the god. My personal impression of Odin, at least, is option three. I don't really think they have our morals - they're beyond that. It's a force of personality rather than a civilized human.

(And Gaia represents the natural world - death's a part of everything. But She doesn't seem to be the blood thirsty sort even so.)

Stardancer
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:58:11 am by Star, Reason: Fixing quote code » Logged

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #53: February 24, 2009, 08:58:49 am »

As a follow up question:

I think it really depends on the deity. Many deities probably never wanted it -- including some who may have occasionally got it. Others may have actually wanted it and probably still want it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #54: February 24, 2009, 09:01:49 am »

I think it really depends on the deity. Many deities probably never wanted it -- including some who may have occasionally got it. Others may have actually wanted it and probably still want it.
I think you're right, I wonder how people who work with deities connected to human sacrifices think about this.

loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: February 24, 2009, 11:58:24 am »

As a follow up question:

My own feeling about this is it could be either 2 or 3 above, depending on the deity.  Considering that most responces to the thread indicate that the deities adapt or chance over time, what they like or acept also would change.

Since the God of Abraham acepted human sacrifice originally, and continued (wanted?) animal sacrifice in the temple, the same god apparently does not need either today.  And most of his follows would be horrified if performed today.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:59:19 am by HeartShadow - Genevieve Wood, Reason: fixed quote » Logged
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #56: February 24, 2009, 12:00:12 pm »

Since the God of Abraham acepted human sacrifice originally, and continued (wanted?) animal sacrifice in the temple, the same god apparently does not need either today.

Actually, that's rather iffy.  There IS no Temple currently - and the sacrifices needed to be performed IN THE TEMPLE.

Animal sacrifice were the temple rebuilt is, as I understand it, a hot topic.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
loneash
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: February 24, 2009, 12:11:42 pm »

Actually, that's rather iffy.  There IS no Temple currently - and the sacrifices needed to be performed IN THE TEMPLE.

Animal sacrifice were the temple rebuilt is, as I understand it, a hot topic.

Agreeded that there is no phyical proof of human sacrifice in the very early Hebrews.  But Isac appeared willing to sacrifice his son if needed.  There are some very large sacrifice alters which are the size used by others who did practice human sacrifice.

Since Abraham came out of a culture where it was done, well it would be more or less normal.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #58: February 24, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »

Agreeded that there is no phyical proof of human sacrifice in the very early Hebrews.  But Isac appeared willing to sacrifice his son if needed.  There are some very large sacrifice alters which are the size used by others who did practice human sacrifice.

Since Abraham came out of a culture where it was done, well it would be more or less normal.

That's not what I said.

I'm saying that, should the Temple be rebuilt, they may well do animal sacrifices there again.

That's what's laid out in the Torah, after all - so it must be done.  According to some people.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
loneash
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: February 25, 2009, 09:58:05 pm »

That's not what I said.

I'm saying that, should the Temple be rebuilt, they may well do animal sacrifices there again.

That's what's laid out in the Torah, after all - so it must be done.  According to some people.

Sorry. I did not read it correctly.

Yes, IF the temple should be rebuilt.   Yes there is debate.  But I do not see it being rebuilt for the forseeable future.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.