The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 03, 2021, 03:38:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 03, 2021, 03:38:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient gods in a modern world?  (Read 25887 times)
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #60: March 15, 2009, 11:11:09 pm »

Too, I wonder if this is a general god thing, or if it's especially pronounced in him -- the Internet is something that is so perfectly him that I'm not surprised at how keen he seems on the modern world.  Other gods may have differing views.   

I definitely see Hermes as very adaptable.  From me, he seems to like bottled Frappacinos and caramel macchiatos and other coffee drinks - not something ancient at all.

I don't think He's the only one who appreciates modern/non-traditional practices.  At one point, I was doing a bit more "traditional" style Kemetic ritual.  (I would occasionally do a version of the Daily Rite from some modern temples.)  I got the sense that Wepwawet, at least, didn't think it was necessary.  I've also very distinctly gotten the sense that He likes me being eclectic and appreciates Thelemites.  This strikes me as appropriate - I see Him as the Avant Garde in its literal military meaning, as well as the way the term is usually used now.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #61: March 15, 2009, 11:17:10 pm »

Do you think ancient deities have changed over the centuries or is their perspective of things still rooted in ancient times?

How do they relate to issues of the modern world?

Do they have archaic/ancient characteristics or perspectives you find sometimes hard to deal with (or do they find it sometimes hard to deal with your modern perspectives)?

My deities and I can definitely have different perspectives, but I haven't ever thought it was because of ancient vs. modern issues.

I definitely think that the gods evolve, and that their areas of interest evolve.  I've written about some of this on here before - Djehuty as the patron of graphic designers, for example.  Another example: about a month ago, I saw the presidential motorcade pass by.  Afterwards, I sensed Wepwawet really strongly.  It took me awhile to guess why - His standard was carried at the front of processions, and what I saw was a modern state procession.  (Also, apparently He likes motorcycles. Smiley Overall, He seems curious about some parts of the modern world.)

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #62: March 16, 2009, 01:06:45 am »

I definitely see Hermes as very adaptable.  From me, he seems to like bottled Frappacinos and caramel macchiatos and other coffee drinks - not something ancient at all.

I don't think He's the only one who appreciates modern/non-traditional practices.

Definitely not. His brother Dionysos also seems to be pretty 'modern'. (Actually today I had the strong thought that He is a God of Now, but that may just be how I relate to Him). I've heard He likes his followers dancing in raves, and apparently has claimed tequila! Which, when you think about it, makes quite a bit of sense.

Kybele also seems to be a goddess who watches over genderqueers and transgenders. Which is not exactly completely modern (considering her priests at least mythically castrated themselves before Her), but I do think that it is at least a partially modern association.

I have also had the funny feeling that Pan likes horror houses. (major UPG here)

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Sky Samuelle
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2011, 09:19:47 am
Italy Italy

Religion: Polytheistic Solitary Witch, Hekate's devotee

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: August 17, 2009, 03:32:46 am »

Definitely not. His brother Dionysos also seems to be pretty 'modern'. (Actually today I had the strong thought that He is a God of Now, but that may just be how I relate to Him). I've heard He likes his followers dancing in raves, and apparently has claimed tequila! Which, when you think about it, makes quite a bit of sense.

Kybele also seems to be a goddess who watches over genderqueers and transgenders. Which is not exactly completely modern (considering her priests at least mythically castrated themselves before Her), but I do think that it is at least a partially modern association.

I have also had the funny feeling that Pan likes horror houses. (major UPG here)

I can so see Dionysos taking up to raves and Hermes to this crazy globalization' world!
There's also  a rumour that Hekate's resurfacing in global consciousness inspired the Goth movement...she does seem to approve it, and enjoy rock music with dark, powerful voices.

it makes sense that if Gods are alive beings, then they would evolve over time and so would their areas of interest.

In regard to human sacrifices, I think it's a cultural matter. When our culture was more primitive, Gods accepted it as we saw it as a acceptable. Death from  Deathless' prospective is not probably as cruel and 'definitive' actioon as it is to us humans. But then, there are deities who didn't particularly like human sacrifice -at least when they weren't ones to asks  for it- see Artemis and her punishment of Agamenon for sacrificing his daughter to Her. Yet there are gods like Ares I can see enjoying this type of offering even today., so probably depends on the deity considered, afer all.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another. ~ Anatole France
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #64: August 17, 2009, 04:34:49 am »

it makes sense that if Gods are alive beings, then they would evolve over time and so would their areas of interest.

I agree that they evolve over time, but I'm not sure that their interests adapt, because I'm not sure that they are truly seperate from thir interests. Certainly, I thin kthat they continue to eleborate their preferences in each era's technologies and ideas.

In regard to human sacrifices, I think it's a cultural matter. When our culture was more primitive, Gods accepted it as we saw it as a acceptable. Death from  Deathless' prospective is not probably as cruel and 'definitive' actioon as it is to us humans. But then, there are deities who didn't particularly like human sacrifice -at least when they weren't ones to asks  for it- see Artemis and her punishment of Agamenon for sacrificing his daughter to Her. Yet there are gods like Ares I can see enjoying this type of offering even today., so probably depends on the deity considered, afer all.

I don't think that the willingness of the gods has changed. I just think that we got 'squeemish'. That and the dominant culture is a death-fearing culture.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:37:21 am by BGMarc, Reason: crap spelling and half-finished sentence » Logged

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #65: September 08, 2009, 04:32:35 pm »

But then, there are deities who didn't particularly like human sacrifice -at least when they weren't ones to asks  for it- see Artemis and her punishment of Agamenon for sacrificing his daughter to Her. Yet there are gods like Ares I can see enjoying this type of offering even today., so probably depends on the deity considered, afer all.
Hmm...I think there was a story where Artemis was pissed and called for human sacrifice, but I don't remember which one it was.  Huh

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #66: September 08, 2009, 05:03:18 pm »

Hmm...I think there was a story where Artemis was pissed and called for human sacrifice, but I don't remember which one it was.  Huh

I think you are thinking of the story where Agamemnon boasted he was a better hunter than she (because he killed one of HER pets in HER sacred grove) and she caused the wind to stop blowing as he was about to sail to Troy.  The only way she would be appeased is if he sacrificed his daughter (Iphigenia) to her.  In nicer versions of the story, Artemis replaced the girl with a deer and took her to Tauris where she became a priestess of the goddess.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: October 23, 2009, 08:34:00 pm »

Do you think ancient deities have changed over the centuries or is their perspective of things still rooted in ancient times?

Do they have archaic/ancient characteristics or perspectives you find sometimes hard to deal with (or do they find it sometimes hard to deal with your modern perspectives)?

Honestly, I don't think the gods could have changed very much, since human civilization is just a flash in the pan in terms of the universe on a grand scale. I do think our understandings of the gods change over time, and that's not a bad thing. I think the past is meant to inform us, but not for us to fully resurrect.
Saiyyan
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 05, 2012, 10:36:39 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: January 11, 2010, 11:53:39 pm »

I think that with all things in the universe, they are not static.  They grow and change over time like the rest of us.  However, being eternal, they may change over longer periods of time.

Well, I think that their spheres of influence grew to adapt to the times.  For example, communication is in Hermes' sphere of influence so I consider him to be the god of the internet.  Zeus could be the god of the electricity flowing through the walls as well as lightning.  Ares could now wield an AK-47 instead of a spear Cheesy

I'll let you know as soon as I figure this one out Wink

I just got a hilarious image of making an offering to Hermes, offering an 2.0gb SD card and him rejecting it. "Biatch, I need more gigs! Come back with 8gb."

But to reply to the whole thread, I definitely feel the gods are aware of all "modern" things. I think it would be silly to think that a laptop is something Hera couldn't understand or deal with.

In my own practices, there's never been a flower that Thalia, Euphrosyne and Aglaea didn't like. They like music too, whether it's classical or something a little more hip  Wink My gods can get jiggy with it.    (I can't believe I just typed that...)
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #69: January 12, 2010, 03:34:49 am »

In my own practices, there's never been a flower that Thalia, Euphrosyne and Aglaea didn't like. They like music too, whether it's classical or something a little more hip  Wink My gods can get jiggy with it.    (I can't believe I just typed that...)

It does conjure the most fantastic imagery....!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #70: January 12, 2010, 01:01:21 pm »

This is a great thread topic, thank you for presenting the question. I can't speak on behalf of any Gods or Goddesses, but to me it doesn't seem that the passage of time would be an issue. Although there is metaphysical evidence for it, there is mathematical evidence that time is relative to the source that is perceiving it. There may not be any need to change over time for them, because from our perspective they may seem infinite and timeless, and theirs this may all be a passing minute.

As to the conflict of perspectives, it may depend on the God and Goddess. I've been fortunate to have been dealt with patience from the ones whom I have worshiped. However, I'm sure they find me tedious and insipid at times.

With that said, through personal prayers and experiences, I believe that the Gods and Goddesses may occasionally keep up to date with the things that the mere mortals are doing, but I wouldn't expect Freya to be able to use an Ipod, let alone want to!

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Caeia Iulia Regillia
Apprentice
Last Login:July 08, 2010, 07:31:44 am

Religion: Religio Romana (revivalist)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #71: January 26, 2010, 11:36:21 am »

This is a great thread topic, thank you for presenting the question. I can't speak on behalf of any Gods or Goddesses, but to me it doesn't seem that the passage of time would be an issue. Although there is metaphysical evidence for it, there is mathematical evidence that time is relative to the source that is perceiving it. There may not be any need to change over time for them, because from our perspective they may seem infinite and timeless, and theirs this may all be a passing minute.

As to the conflict of perspectives, it may depend on the God and Goddess. I've been fortunate to have been dealt with patience from the ones whom I have worshiped. However, I'm sure they find me tedious and insipid at times.

With that said, through personal prayers and experiences, I believe that the Gods and Goddesses may occasionally keep up to date with the things that the mere mortals are doing, but I wouldn't expect Freya to be able to use an Ipod, let alone want to!

I do believe that they've adapted to modern time, but their core requirements are the same.  Those practices evolved for a reason, and the Gods wanted us to continue more or less in those lines.  Making a substitution isn't evil (where are modern Hellenes supposed to get 100 cows), but it souldn't be done willy-nilly just because something is hard.  Make origami animals or donate to a food bank for your ritual sacrifices -- I think that's pretty close. 

As for the moral codes -- maybe, but I think in some cases, the codes of the past are more equitable than the codes of the present.  In the old codes, you tended to work your way to redemption, in the modern age, you sit in jail and in many cases go to gang finishing school.

franklin james
Permanently Banned
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 09, 2010, 11:05:55 pm
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Religion: christian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: February 17, 2010, 04:25:32 am »

Text removed for potential copyright concerns.  See here:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=75.msg198318#msg198318
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:26:26 am by Star, Reason: copyright » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.