The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 11, 2021, 10:38:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2021, 10:38:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magic Within/Magic Without  (Read 10798 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 15, 2009, 05:27:44 pm »

Do you feel your magic is something that comes mostly from within yourself, or mostly from external sources? For example; crystals, herbs, candles etc.

If you feel as though it is from both, like I do, where do you predominatly draw your magical energy from? Internally, or externally?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 15, 2009, 05:41:11 pm »

Do you feel your magic is something that comes mostly from within yourself, or mostly from external sources? For example; crystals, herbs, candles etc.

If you feel as though it is from both, like I do, where do you predominatly draw your magical energy from? Internally, or externally?

If feel that magic comes through me from everything.  Specific things, such as herbs, have energies that are specific to them, which can make directing easier, but the bulk of the energy is drawn from earth, sea and sky, through myself and then off to do its work.

Symu
Last Login:February 15, 2009, 09:01:59 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Nominally pagan

Yellow Scarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 15, 2009, 08:29:19 pm »

I think it's both. It has to move around, otherwise it gets stagnant and icky (that's a technical term).
I don't like to draw from something other than myself, even if I ask beforehand, in case whatever it is needs the energy later (Or right now, but only said yes out of politeness. So I never draw from the earth unless it tells me to.)
Drawing magic 'through' something else to change it's flavour is fine, though.

With yellow scarves and long hair.
Deploy the arm!
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 15, 2009, 10:29:56 pm »

Magic comes from my Will. I can use energy from myself or from elsewhere to power magic. Generally, I prefer external sources. Wink

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 15, 2009, 11:05:54 pm »

my Will moves through those things. The clearer my intention, the more in alignment I am with cosmic flow and the greater the probability that I will be able to manifest what I want in the way I want it.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 16, 2009, 09:27:09 am »

I think it's both. It has to move around, otherwise it gets stagnant and icky (that's a technical term).
I don't like to draw from something other than myself, even if I ask beforehand, in case whatever it is needs the energy later (Or right now, but only said yes out of politeness. So I never draw from the earth unless it tells me to.)
Drawing magic 'through' something else to change it's flavour is fine, though.
I tend to agree with this.

Magic or Energy itself is all around, it flows in and through everything. I prefer to use my Will and my internal reserves for any magic I work. Although, when I do work with energy, it seems to come from all around me, but it may be energy from the Earth or Universe that is filtering through the things around me.
(disclaimer: I don't do much spell work, but I do work with energies)

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 16, 2009, 11:50:10 am »

Like some others have already said, I feel like the bigger energy comes from eternal sources like the earth or sky, but I'm the central point making it move like the axis of a wheel. It makes the vehicle move without touching the ground. I wonder though if some of the energies going through me are kind of flavored by me, sort of.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 16, 2009, 11:54:00 am »

I wonder though if some of the energies going through me are kind of flavored by me, sort of.

Like pouring water over tea leaves.  An infusion of you in the magic. 

That's rather how I see it. 

I'm a magical teabag.   Tongue  That's a funny thought.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:12:38 pm by RandallS, Reason: Quote BBCode corrected » Logged

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 16, 2009, 12:06:38 pm »

Like some others have already said, I feel like the bigger energy comes from eternal sources like the earth or sky, but I'm the central point making it move like the axis of a wheel. It makes the vehicle move without touching the ground. I wonder though if some of the energies going through me are kind of flavored by me, sort of.

how can they not be flavored by you? What would be the point, otherwise? This is also why I go to different deities for different purposes, but always rely primarily on Maa. She's like salt to me, you might say.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 16, 2009, 12:08:16 pm »

Like pouring water over tea leaves.  An infusion of you in the magic. 

That's rather how I see it. 

I'm a magical teabag.   Tongue  That's a funny thought.
Hmm...maybe kind of, but I hope we don't drain out. That's why I used the wheel-symbolism. The central point isn't moving much - like the calm eye of a storm.

Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 16, 2009, 12:20:00 pm »

Hmm...maybe kind of, but I hope we don't drain out. That's why I used the wheel-symbolism. The central point isn't moving much - like the calm eye of a storm.

When magical energy moves through us, if we are properly trained, prepared and clear in our intent, we give up some of ourselves to the energy flow while it leaves energy behind.  An exchange, if you will.

The tea analogy:  You put the tea into the boiling water and it gives up some of its essence to the water, right?  But at the same time the water goes into the leaves, replacing what they've given to the water.  In fact, the leaves will proportionately gain more in the exchange, as the water will rehydrate them, while the water only gains a comparatively small amount in exchange. 

When we draw magic through us, we give up some of our personal energy to the flow, while it recharges us.  If we've had sufficient training in energy work, that is.  I well recall the early days of magical practice, before I learned to let energy flow this way.  I'd use my personal energy and try not to use anything from my surroundings, even when it was clearly offered.  I'd end up wiped out after.  Once I learned to let the energy flow through myself I found that after I felt recharged, with more energy than I'd had when I began the working. 

Mom always said that this was because the energy flowing through you WANTS to give to you, wants to recharge you. 

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 16, 2009, 12:31:51 pm »

Thanks for the explanation, get the analogy much better now. First it sounded to me like the essence would drain out like you can't use the same tea leaves twice and thrice...

But about the calm center...isn't a part still anchored to earth? Like the tea bag being hold by a thread so it's not flodded away from the water pour? That I meant with the eye of the storm. Isn't a part unparticipating in the exchange?  Huh

Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 16, 2009, 12:44:08 pm »

Thanks for the explanation, get the analogy much better now. First it sounded to me like the essence would drain out like you can't use the same tea leaves twice and thrice...

But about the calm center...isn't a part still anchored to earth? Like the tea bag being hold by a thread so it's not flodded away from the water pour? That I meant with the eye of the storm. Isn't a part unparticipating in the exchange?  Huh

The quintessential you remains unchanged.  And the energy that you take in will in short time become yours fully, taking on your essence.

You can't use tea leaves over and over again, because they've been cut from the plant and are no longer able to regenerate their essence.  You, on the other hand, are alive.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:13:10 pm by RandallS, Reason: Quote BBCode corrected » Logged

Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 17, 2009, 12:10:55 am »

I feel that my magic is from within me. The herbs, candles, crystals and such are tools that I use to enhance my magic. I do believe that they have an energy of their own, and it adds to mine.

I draw my magical energy from within myself, but I draw energy in general from both the earth and from water. One feeds the other, as I se it.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 17, 2009, 10:28:50 am »

Like some others have already said, I feel like the bigger energy comes from eternal sources like the earth or sky, but I'm the central point making it move like the axis of a wheel.

Did you mean "external"? If not, what makes you think the earth and sky are eternal?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)