The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 10:05:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 10:05:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Name, Your Avatar, and Your Sig  (Read 23888 times)
MakaniAhi
Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2009, 01:26:21 am
United States United States

Religion: Hawaiian Panentheism

Aloha kākou!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 17, 2009, 04:55:31 am »

I see so many interesting names, avatars, and sigs.  I'm just wondering about the stories behind them.

My name:  MakaniAhi is Fire Winds (ahi=fire; makani=wind).  I wanted to upload my own avatar, but I'm not a full member yet, so my avatar is from eCauldron.  Pele led me to my name--I can show you pics!!  This (meaning makaniahi) keeps showing up in my life, more than I'd like, actually!  But the snake and the egg...!  How marvelous!  Not sure I'd change my avatar even if I could.

I would just like to know why you chose what you did to help define you.  Everyone has a story!

~MakaniAhi

A'a i ka hula.  Waiho i ka hilahila i ka hale.  (Dare to dance.  Leave embarrassment at home.)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 17, 2009, 05:15:41 am »

BGMarc = Big Gay Marc

A very drunken friend called me that one night out in town when he saw me (around the time that the South Park episode introducing Big Gay Al screened in Canberra) and it sort of stuck. It may have helped that he was about 100 meters away when he saw me Smiley

The avatar is a picture by Boris Valejo that was on a CD of images I bought years back. I like the homoeroticism and it makes me think of the archetypal sacrificed deity. Sacrifice is an important concept in my world.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
MakaniAhi
Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2009, 01:26:21 am

Religion: Hawaiian Panentheism

Aloha kākou!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 17, 2009, 06:11:33 am »

BGMarc = Big Gay Marc

A very drunken friend called me that one night out in town when he saw me (around the time that the South Park episode introducing Big Gay Al screened in Canberra) and it sort of stuck. It may have helped that he was about 100 meters away when he saw me Smiley

The avatar is a picture by Boris Valejo that was on a CD of images I bought years back. I like the homoeroticism and it makes me think of the archetypal sacrificed deity. Sacrifice is an important concept in my world.

Wow, on both counts!  Isn't that funny (and not necessarily in the ha ha sense!) that you've adopted a name by a drunken friend and claim an intense image of a homoerotic sacrificed deity?  (Y'know,  it seems alot more wild when you actually say (or type) it!)  Smiley

May I ask where the sacrifice comes in?  The pic does seems Judeo-Christian to me, but is that where you're coming from?

I just find it interesting to see how folks define themselves if you get (1) name,  (1) picture, and (1) philosophy of life (or sig).  Now... who are you?

~MakaniAhi

A'a i ka hula.  Waiho i ka hilahila i ka hale.  (Dare to dance.  Leave embarrassment at home.)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 17, 2009, 07:19:43 am »

I see so many interesting names, avatars, and sigs.  I'm just wondering about the stories behind them.

I would just like to know why you chose what you did to help define you.  Everyone has a story!

I go by Jenett broadly in Pagan community settings, and have for about 8 or 9 years now. I picked the name for several reasons - it's one of the variant names for the heroine in the traditional ballad _Tam Lin_, plus it's got elements from my legal first and last names in it. Almost everyone except at work uses it for me now, which amuses me.

The icon is a (color altered) image from a photograph of my harp: I use her as an icon to remind me of a central commitment in my life (music in particular forms).

I am not a visual person: images in signatures have never particularly appealed to me as much as text: I don't bother with one here because the stuff I'd put in one (my website) is easily accessible in my profile.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: February 17, 2009, 07:28:25 am »

<snip>

The original page I got my name from said it meant "wearing black."  But someone else (on another forum) suggested it could mean "carrying black."  Now a days, I interpret it to mean "bearing black" which imo is a nice combination of the two.

My avatar was taken from a site that displayed free avatars.  The file name is actually Azrael which is the name of the Islamic angel of death.  Although to me, it looks more like the modern, Western Grim Reaper (if he was naked, that is).  I picked it because it's dark and spooky, like me Grin

As for the dragon eggs in my sig, they are there because they seem to be getting popular on this forum and I jumped on the bandwagon.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: February 17, 2009, 07:29:20 am »

HeartShadow - well, I needed a name in a hurry 'cause I wanted to post something.  (what, me, poor impulse control?  never!)  I was in a gloomy mood when I picked it, so I took something gloomy - shadowed heart, only I switched the order.  And I've kept it 'cause changing names confuses people.  like me. Smiley

Genevieve Wood is my real name - I've started trying to build an online following for my writing, and it's pretty damn stupid to do that under a pseudonym when I want to get published under my own name!

My avatar is something I built on a dollz site a while ago - Star helped me by adding the baby when I had my son.  I've kept that avatar because she looks amused and faintly cynical, and that amuses the heck out of me.  I am faintly cynical. Smiley  And I love the little baby there, even if he's long past the crawling stage.

As far as the sig, those are my websites.  Warriors of the Sun God and I Am Subversive are both online novels, and FlameKeeping is my religious site.

I'm pretty boring. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: February 17, 2009, 07:44:00 am »

I Am Subversive are both online novels,

Need a new siggy link

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #7: February 17, 2009, 08:10:05 am »

Mine name-story is...  almost as good as Marc's, actually, if on a somewhat more innocent level.  "Star" is actually a shortened form of the original nickname--although I never use the longer one anymore.  At some point in high school, a friend of mine came to school after watching a Scooby Doo marathon and decided that all her friends needed nicknames referring to her favourite villains.  (Why?  I don't know.)  She decided I was going to be "Star Creature"; it was one of the few nicknames from that incident that stuck.  I mostly dropped the "Creature" after graduating, though I still use "starcr" as a username in places where "star" isn't available or is too short.

As for the icon, the sun is in honor of Apollo.  I use that particular sun in a lot of places--it's my standard avatar anywhere on the Net, I stitched it (in orange and yellow, outlined in gold) onto a cloth I use on my Apollo shrine (what's an altar cloth called when it's on a shrine?  LOL), I have it (minus the flames in the middle) tattooed on my right shoulder, and I also use it in the little mini-shrine I've got set up on my desk at work.  The flame gets put in the middle of the avatar mostly just because it seemed right and I like it.  *shrug*

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: February 17, 2009, 08:36:04 am »

Need a new siggy link

oh monkey.  you're right, I still haven't done that.

Don't suppose you can whomp up the code for me so I can copy paste?  pretty please?  *bats eyes*

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: February 17, 2009, 08:43:10 am »

oh monkey.  you're right, I still haven't done that.

Don't suppose you can whomp up the code for me so I can copy paste?  pretty please?  *bats eyes*

Not Steve, but here's the code:
[url=http://www.iamsubversive.com/]I Am Subversive[/url]

Or if you want it to match the Flamekeeping link:
I Am Subversive:  http://www.iamsubversive.com/
(No code needed; the address will automatically turn into a link.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: February 17, 2009, 08:43:52 am »

Not Steve, but here's the code:
[url=http://www.iamsubversive.com/]I Am Subversive[/url]

Or if you want it to match the Flamekeeping link:
I Am Subversive:  http://www.iamsubversive.com/
(No code needed; the address will automatically turn into a link.)

Thank you SO MUCH.

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: February 17, 2009, 08:46:32 am »

Thank you SO MUCH.

Any time.  Smiley

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: February 17, 2009, 08:51:20 am »

RandallS is may first name and the initial of my last name. My avatar is an ancient Greek coin with an owl (for Athena) ob it. My sign is a list of web sites I have something to do with. As you can see, I'm very boring.  Grin

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 17, 2009, 09:35:07 am »

Selegna is my real name (Angeles) spelled backwards. I wanted a name for a character I was playing some years ago, and it seemed ok, because she was the opposite to myself. After that, I created an email address with that name, which is the one I'm using for TC, so I'm using this name here too. I think I sticked with it because, with the last name/surname (not sure of the difference between these) I gave it, it sounds to me like a Harry Potter character's name, lol. Cheesy

My avatar is one of TC too, but it holds a strong meaning for me. It's the rune Ansuz, its meaning is about messages, just like my real name ("angel" in Hebrew means "messenger"), and I consider myself some kind of messenger too. Anyway, I'm thinking about changing it, but I need to find an image I like first.

My signature is just my screen name on a nice background. A boy from another forum make it for me. I wanted it to be on purple/violet/something like that, because that's my favorite color. He added the leaves and I just loved it. Smiley

Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 17, 2009, 09:43:07 am »

~MakaniAhi

Hufflee is a combination of my married last name 'Huffman' and my maiden name 'Lee.' As a child, my husband's little sister was my best friend (he's 10 years older than us) and we all needed last names for a game we made up. Mine- Hufflee / Hers Leeffman. We always wanted to be sisters so we chose those. It has always stuck in my head, and I still use it today, for screennames and for my email.

I change my avatar picture pretty regularly, but this particular picture is of a rune that has special meaning to me.

As for my signature and those two little bits of "wisdom".........The first one makes a whole lot of sense to me, and it reminds me to keep an open mind. The second line just makes me laugh. Truth is often funny!

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)