The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 25, 2021, 11:25:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2021, 11:25:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Name, Your Avatar, and Your Sig  (Read 22643 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: February 17, 2009, 09:49:14 am »

As for my signature and those two little bits of "wisdom".........The first one makes a whole lot of sense to me, and it reminds me to keep an open mind. The second line just makes me laugh. Truth is often funny!

I totally forgot about sigs.  The links in mine are pretty self-explanatory, I think--my main blog and my religious blog.  I also usually keep a quote in there.  There's no real rhyme or reason to the quotes; it's just whatever happens to catch my eye when I feel like it's time for a new one.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 17, 2009, 09:59:24 am »

There's no real rhyme or reason to the quotes; it's just whatever happens to catch my eye when I feel like it's time for a new one.

Who is Jacob? I love your current sig. True True True (but not funny)  Smiley

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #17: February 17, 2009, 10:01:21 am »

Who is Jacob? I love your current sig. True True True (but not funny)  Smiley

Jacob is not someone I know personally--he's a recapper over at Television Without Pity.  The quote comes from a recap he did of an episode of...  I think it was True Blood.  The link on his name should go to the page in the recap I grabbed it from.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 17, 2009, 10:01:43 am »

I see so many interesting names, avatars, and sigs.  I'm just wondering about the stories behind them.

I would just like to know why you chose what you did to help define you.  Everyone has a story!

~MakaniAhi

Mandrina is a character name from some fan fic I wrote, that I liked and can remember and is rarely used as a login name. It has somehow evolved into a name I am comfortable with. I have a thing for mice and the singing hamster is pretty close to the best rodent based general avatar on the site.

The quote is my favorite quote from pretty much any of the Starwars and I've collected some dragons.  

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 17, 2009, 10:04:59 am »

I see so many interesting names, avatars, and sigs.  I'm just wondering about the stories behind them.

I've used Figment for over a decade now. I've used it on boards, websites, and when I used to play in multiplayer computer games when I was in college. I think I used Figment because I liked to talk, play the games, chit chat and then fade into the background. I was kind of a solitary person back then... and I still am, even more so these days it seems.

The 99 is because 9 has always been my lucky number.

My pic is one of my gardenias from my garden. I love gardenias, they are so beautifu and fill my whole yard with wonderful scent. They are also a very spiritual plant and helps me connect with the Divine

The sig is just my hope of trying to change myself, to come into my full potential. The dragon and egg are just something I am trying, LOL.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 17, 2009, 10:10:35 am »

Jacob is not someone I know personally--he's a recapper over at Television Without Pity.  The quote comes from a recap he did of an episode of...  I think it was True Blood.  The link on his name should go to the page in the recap I grabbed it from.
Jacob is good, I like his recap. I haven't seen much of the show "True Blood", but I am a big fan of the books. He makes some really good points and observations.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: February 17, 2009, 11:00:07 am »

My screen name doesn't mean anything at all.  When I was registering at TC, I needed a name so I just picked a couple of images I had in my mind at the time and stuck them together.

My avatar is a stylized version of a Brighid's Cross in a circle, with a triskele in the middle.  It was created for me by Juni and then the color was added by Dania.  The design just kinda evolved during a thread (on the old board) about jewelry design.  Someone was asking what kind of symbols we'd like to see made into jewelry, and I responded by describing this symbol.  Then Juni did a computer drawing of it, I adopted it, and Dania added the blue background, which is a color I associate strongly with Brighid.

(I have a tattoo on my left wrist of the avatar inside a sunburst.)

My sig is something that Beachglass put together for me when we first moved to this board and we were all going a little avatar/sig-crazy.   Wink  The swirly background design is taken from a Celtic artifact called the Battersea Shield.  I've always loved the design.  The blue is, again, for Brighid.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 17, 2009, 11:04:32 am »

I would just like to know why you chose what you did to help define you.  Everyone has a story!

~MakaniAhi

I would like to say my name stands for something mystical or obscene or hilarious, but not really. Smiley Like Star, I got my name from a group of friends who unfortunately I had a falling out with, although they were the only females I could tolerate and who actually included me in their group of friends, until that whole teenager-crazy-hormone thing kicked in big time and they just turned themselves into a close-knit triad and ignored everyone else (although one of them was still friendly to me afterwards).

I got it because I play ringette, and that was apparently one of my defining features. Ringette is a sport that was created in Canada and is slowly gaining popularity elsewhere (oh if they'd allowed ringette as a trial event at the Olympics I would've been so happy!). Its all-female most of the time and its like hockey, except no blade on the end of the stick and you use a blue ring rather than a puck. So they named me "Ringy". I used it quite a bit after I got it, and one day while I was signing up for an account  (and currently loving one of Britney Spears' songs and one of the few I can stand) I used the user name intoxic-rin, because ringy wouldn't fit. And then at some point I just dropped the intoxic part and started using rin-x-x, which I use frequently for a lot of things if need be. But when I came here, I just decided to use Rin. Now I tend to use Rin for most things.

And that is my long and weird history on my name! I don't have an avatar cause I'm not sure what to use. And my sig is usually just a quote I like from a movie or a song. I have no idea where this quote came from, but I do love it. The next one will probably be coming from The Dark Knight, though.  Cheesy

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 17, 2009, 12:43:19 pm »

~MakaniAhi

Screen name: It is my middle name, add a K, give it a quick stir and voila.  Funny thing is that it has become as much my name as my given name.  I answer to it in person, and if someone calls out for Mattie, I turn and look, wondering who is calling me.

The avatar IS me, with just a little doctoring in PhotoShop to add what nature forgot.  Cheesy

My sig translates to "There's no place like home" (direct translation is there's no hearth like your own hearth). 

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 17, 2009, 12:51:49 pm »

I'm really boring.  No mystical symbolism or anything.

FierFlye is a name I choose to attribute to my long-abandoned Deviant Art account.  There was no particular reason behind choosing the name, but Firefly was taken and I didn't want to add numbers, so I decided a ridiculous spelling would do.  I figured this name was general enough it could travel with me around the internet, so I brought it here.

My avatar is just a picture I thought was pretty.  I took it with film - anyone remember that stuff?

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: February 17, 2009, 02:06:49 pm »

I totally forgot about sigs.  The links in mine are pretty self-explanatory, I think--my main blog and my religious blog.  I also usually keep a quote in there.  There's no real rhyme or reason to the quotes; it's just whatever happens to catch my eye when I feel like it's time for a new one.

I normally have a quote in my sig as well, but I removed it when I added my dragons.  I just added another that is so me!

I normally have a link to my blog as well, and I will add it later.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
KitsuneinDreams
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 10, 2010, 08:30:19 am

Religion: Devotee of Minerva

Nunc ades o coeptis, flava Minerva, meiss

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 17, 2009, 02:20:24 pm »

When I first got on my path and joined a group I was finding the fox animal spirit to be around me a lot. I also have a huge interest in Japan so my name became "kitsune" which means a Japanese "Fox Spirit".  The "In Dreams" came from the fact that i often have very vivid dreams.
Cheers

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: February 17, 2009, 03:25:05 pm »

<snip>
My screen name is my (public) Craft name (the story of how I got it is here).  It wound up being the name I use everywhere online, because the first things I was doing online were mostly Craft- and coven-related.  The "P" is for "Promethean", because the coven in question is/was Prometheus Coven - sufficiently often, "Sunflower" is already in use in places where I'm creating accounts that I just said, "the heck with it," and add the initial as a matter of course.  (It's just as well, here on TC, that I don't use the alias that was my most common one on dial-up BBSes back in the '90s:  Starlight, usually shortened to Star Cheesy.)

I created my avatar at Reasonably Clever, because I think Lego is cool - I prefer it to other avatar/doll makers because it comes out shaped like me, rather than like Kate Moss.  I like my BBWitch so much that I use it anywhere I'm using an avatar (my LJ has several variations on it, to go with different sorts of posts).

My sig block:  The first line goes back to my dial-up BBS days - a retort to people who criticized those who interacted online by saying, "Get a life!"  There are still plenty of people who think online interactions "aren't real"... and I'm still living part of my very real life online.  The second bit is a quote (from Oscar Wilde, as it says) that I ran across a couple of months back and liked so well that I added it to my sig.  And the last line is just what it says, a link to my LJ.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 17, 2009, 03:37:01 pm »

"Altair" is borrowed from my patron star (I picked one out of the sky one summer night in a fit of wild romanticism). It's the brightest star in the constellation Aquila, the Eagle; its name is from the Arabic "al-ta'ir", which translates as "the flyer", meaning a bird. I'm big on birds, eagles in particular, so as a pagan name it fits me well.

My avatar and sig both reflect my pagan name. The avatar is an eagle flying high; the sig is my personal sigil: a stylized representation of a bird in flight (two wings and a tail), constructed using some sacred geometry ideas. (More about that here: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=4844.msg84444#msg84444
and the follow-up posts in that thread.)

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #29: February 17, 2009, 04:03:03 pm »

I created my avatar at Reasonably Clever, because I think Lego is cool
Sunflower

*squeal* They have a Lego-Tarot over there! *lol*

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)