The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 07:43:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 07:43:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Name, Your Avatar, and Your Sig  (Read 23402 times)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #30: February 17, 2009, 04:50:43 pm »

Why, oh why, did you show me this...  Cheesy

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: February 17, 2009, 05:03:09 pm »

Why, oh why, did you show me this...  Cheesy

I was about to ask the same thing.

Damn, first it was dragons.  Now, I think there will be a swarm of lego-people avatars. Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #32: February 17, 2009, 07:43:39 pm »

I see so many interesting names, avatars, and sigs.  I'm just wondering about the stories behind them.

I don't know how interesting it is, but my user name is Irish Gaelic for dream vision and was given to me many years ago by a friend and spiritual mentor.  The "last" name in my TCN ID, Faa, is a family surname from several generations back that somehow ended up getting integrated into my public craft name.

My sig and avatar photos are both mine.  The avatar was taken of a blood moon rising over the mountain ridge behind my house.  The sig is a line from a favorite song and a bit of a nod to a spiritual guardian.  Links in sig are to various places where I can be found on the web.  Nothing exciting.

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #33: February 17, 2009, 09:16:49 pm »

I created my avatar at Reasonably Clever, because I think Lego is cool - I prefer it to other avatar/doll makers because it comes out shaped like me, rather than like Kate Moss.  I like my BBWitch so much that I use it anywhere I'm using an avatar (my LJ has several variations on it, to go with different sorts of posts).

So I've been meaning to create an avatar there for a while now, but haven't found the time. Today I did and...you've created a monster. Grin

Avatar to be uploaded...later. And then I'll reply to this thread in earnest. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #34: February 17, 2009, 09:36:43 pm »

Avatar to be uploaded...later. And then I'll reply to this thread in earnest. Smiley

*nudge*  It looks nice, but it's slightly too wide for our requirements--it's 131 pixels wide, whereas it needs to be no wider than 100.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: February 17, 2009, 09:52:59 pm »

*nudge*  It looks nice, but it's slightly too wide for our requirements--it's 131 pixels wide, whereas it needs to be no wider than 100.

Cool, thanks. I was just about to post asking how it looked. Smiley Resized now; 100 px by 141 px. Grin

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: February 17, 2009, 10:19:07 pm »

I would just like to know why you chose what you did to help define you.  Everyone has a story!

Morag is my "Pagan" name, whatever that means. Well, to the point, I don't feel comfortable going by the same name in Pagan settings as I do in non-Pagan settings. My full Pagan name is Morag inghean Morrigan, meaning "Morag daughter of Morrigan" (if someone who knows more Gaelic than I sees that I'm wrong there, please let me know -- I've tried to make it as correct as possible, but I just don't know the language). Formerly Morag Grayheart, which I still sort of go by in some settings, though Grayheart is a title more than a name to me.

I chose the name after reading The Tir Alainn Trilogy by Anne Bishop -- I didn't choose it for its meaning, but for the character who had the name. She's a lot like me in some respects and also is what I aspire to be in others. At first I was reluctant to choose the name, thinking I was giving myself delusions of grandeur, but then Thoth told me to "just shut up and own it". When I got thwapped by Morrigan later on, I tacked on the "inghean Morrigan" because, well, I'm Her daughter and it fits.

My avatar, which I've just newly uploaded, replaces the one you saw earlier which was an actual picture of me. This represents how I look in my mind -- a vision which does sometimes connect with how I actually look (depending on what hair dyes I'm carrying in my follicles, the clothing I'm wearing or the drink I'm imbibing, f'ex -- the facial expression is pretty much permanent with me, however, but you'll never see me with a cigarette again). I'm with Sunflower about liking Reasonably Clever's Lego-izer avatar creator better because it makes an avatar that more accurately depicts my body size. Wink Also, Lego just rocks in general.

My signature is a quote from Battlestar Galactica, Season 2. One of my favorite characters says it -- she's talking about how some people fight for honor, some for the survival of the human race (which is what the whole show is about), but she just fights because it's all she knows. I feel a huge kinship with Starbuck, both with her character and her relationships with the other characters in the show. Later on in the series (at the end of Season 2) something happens that just makes everyone feel nothing but the worst sort of defeat. Another character asks what they're supposed to do now, and she simply says (though the fate of humanity's survival seems to be in the most dire of straits) "Same thing we always do. Keep on fighting till we can't." Starbuck's reaction to what life deals is her is much the same as my own, and while that's not always a good thing (she is far from a perfect character, and I can see most of my flaws mirrored in her in such painful detail I want to hide sometimes), I do find inspiration in what she does a lot of the time. She's a lot stronger than I am in a lot of ways, and that is something I aspire to.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: February 17, 2009, 10:32:26 pm »

I would just like to know why you chose what you did to help define you.  Everyone has a story!

Whee--I've always liked it when this topic comes up.

Finn is my spiritual self--both online and in Otherworld dealings. I've also used the name for my LJ, mostly because I wanted my identity slightly more private.

I spent a long time looking for a name that fit, and the more I read about Finn, the great warrior-poet-king of Ireland who traveled the Otherworlds,  and the more I thought about my spiritual knowledge, as it were (a blank canvas--fin in Irish means "white") the more it really did fit. So much so that that until I figure out otherwise, Finn is the name I usually use for my very deepest self, the very deepest "role" I have. Most of the spirits I work with know me as Finn, save Brighid.

It's a little funny that because of this name, I'm often mistaken for a guy online. While I appreciate the gender neutrality of the name, it wasn't a conscious thing. It just so happens that most of the names I like (and have used online in various places) are guy's names. I think since I changed my avatar to Lucy, from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I've been mistaken for a dude a little less.

Which makes a nice segue to my avatar. Uh. Yeah. Lucy.  Cheesy  The Chronicles of Narnia are some of my favourite books, and Lucy is a wonderful and curious character. The image of the Lantern in the Wood is one that is very spiritually potent and important to me, and the symbol of the lantern is something I use in my own work. I like to think I'm Lucy, in a great wood, a little frightened, but knowing that I've got a light to head towards.

And my sig is just an Irish triad about poets and linkies.

Oh. And that line under the avatar is a line from A Series of Unfortunate Events that describes a wonderful motto and the great rule of the library: The World Is Quiet Here.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: February 18, 2009, 12:22:06 am »

Damn, first it was dragons.  Now, I think there will be a swarm of lego-people avatars. Cheesy

Three so far Cheesy

And as the other two said, it reflects my body type better than anything else out there.  I added the skull shirt to help people recognize who I am (basically a connection to my old avatar).

I do get that wicked look at times.  Granted, irl, my expression is normally sullen, but I think the devious look would be more recognizable to the folks here.  Oh and what I'm holding in the image relates to the tagline I had for around a year underneath it.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #39: February 18, 2009, 12:29:16 am »

My name is my name because it is...

And my avatar and sig are my avatar and sig because they're pretty...

Pretty straight forward...
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #40: February 18, 2009, 01:26:35 am »

Wow, on both counts!  Isn't that funny (and not necessarily in the ha ha sense!) that you've adopted a name by a drunken friend and claim an intense image of a homoerotic sacrificed deity?  (Y'know,  it seems alot more wild when you actually say (or type) it!)  Smiley

May I ask where the sacrifice comes in?  The pic does seems Judeo-Christian to me, but is that where you're coming from?

I suppose it does. I hadn't really thought about it. I'm gay, hence the nick name and the appreciation of the physical subject matter. The sacrifice is more involved.

Like many people I started out neo-wiccanish and thinking I knew everything (some claim that that bit hasn't changed Wink). During those years I read widely throughout the worlds religions, but had no contact with actual pagan communities or contemporary pagan materials. It was all research into druids and ancient Greek and Hindi cultures, etc. I repeatedly came across the concept and the practice of sacrifice and it captured my imagination. Antecedents probably include the role of sacrifice in Christianity (mum is an evangelical athiest, but the lady next door took me to a C of E church each week until I was 7 or 8 ), the loss of my younger brother when I was seven and my sexual orientation. When I came across the concept of archteypes and read some of Jung's and Campbell's works the concept of the sacrificed god really worked its way into my psyche and the images played merry hell with my 'libido' (I was around 12 or 13).

Over the last 10 or so years I have more and more strongly identifed as a Stoic and Stoicism stresses the inherrant hapiness that arises from being virtuous. Many of the virtues are tangled up with aspects of sacrifice and so the old passion continues.

Sorry if that was a bit out of the way, but I did say the sacrifice bit got involved Smiley

I also forgot to mention my sig quotes. The first came to me as whole cloth many years afo and I think it has something to say to a lot of people. The second is a favourite quote of from Heinlein (whom I adore) that coincides pretty much with my attitude towards, and level of patience with, stupidity. And the last I find a beautiful and healthy reminder to get up off my fat arse and live my philosophy every moment, or it's just so many words.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #41: February 18, 2009, 02:50:35 am »

The "P" is for "Promethean", because the coven in question is/was Prometheus Coven - sufficiently often, "Sunflower" is already in use in places where I'm creating accounts that I just said, "the heck with it," and add the initial as a matter of course.
I wondered about the "P", but "SunflowerPower" didn't really fit, that's as far as I got.  Wink

My avatar is a photo of the edge of a forest I had a very close relationship to when I lived near to it. 'Waldfrau' (forest woman) is an internet name I use because I love to wander through forest and like the wildness and freedom associated with the word. I don't have a craft name yet.

The dragons in my sig are just something I love to play with. I like to seem them hatch and grow. Wink

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: February 18, 2009, 03:25:08 am »

Three so far Cheesy

I like yours! Especially the grin. Grin

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: February 18, 2009, 04:46:01 am »

I see so many interesting names, avatars, and sigs.  I'm just wondering about the stories behind them.

My name, Fiamma, is Italian for flame. I am known to many as Fuego (Spanish for Fire) rather than my real name, Renee, but a few years ago I started to get away from that name, I didn't feel that the aesthetics fit me, there was a bit much of a rough edge to it that wasn't quite me, but I wanted something to do with fire- I have a ridiculously strong affinity for fire.  I picked an Italian word- fuoco for fire was a little too close to fuego and the same reasons that I felt it wasn't really me, but "fiamma" rolls out very nicely. It's pretty, teehee. I am partially of Sicilian descent, and that's the only part of my ancestry to which I feel any degree of connection, and I speak Italian.

My icon is a bow and arrow for Apollo. I am a devotee of Apollo, my relationship to  him is one of the central points of my life. I wear a gold bow and arrow on a necklace.

My signature consists of the title of my Apollo blog- Memories of Pain and Light- which is a story in and of itself, here's a bit from the blog:

This comes from an essay that I started writing some months back. One that I hope to finish. Someday. It’s about Apollo and my understanding of him, and has been amazingly difficult to write. I can talk forever about Him. Writing about it is another story.

Here’s what I have to date:

I know Apollo as a highly complex god with more layers than I will ever imagine. He is a god with solar connections, but he is not god of the sun. He is not civilized- that is a human concept, he is a god, and you will never forget that he is a god. He is beautiful and perfect in ways that can only be glimpsed in brilliant fractions of a second at a time, so vast, like the moment when it suddenly dawns on you for an instant just how big infinity really is.

He is a god of many lights. He is a warm golden glow of safety and joy. He is the brightest light, which casts the darkest shadow. He is the light that shines into the dark: He is the light of truth and truth is often painful. The absolute light that leaves no crevice in shadow. In the light that drowns out all shadow, there is only truth. It’s the cold, cruel, surgical light which allows no room for denial. It hurts. Often unbearably. But after it hurts, it heals. When it heals, there is the memory of pain and light.

The farther I go, the more memories I have of pain and light. These two ideas, the pain and the light, are critical and central to my relationship with Apollo. This I will discuss in more depth as time goes on. He has been a presence in my life for several years now and I’m only just barely starting to figure it out…

And then there is of course a link to the blog.

The last two lines of my signature are the last two lines of a poem that I wrote for Apollo which was inspired by a series of dreams:

Do I make an offering in your temple
when it is I who is offered?
I lay my trust in your hands
as surely as you lay down my shredded body
bleeding on your altar,
its surface now streaked and stained
as red as life and death.
What you want of me, you don’t ask
but take from me violently.

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: February 18, 2009, 06:18:39 am »

Back in the day when I was reading Buckland, he had a chapter on magical names. I went through one - but decided I needed something with more meaning. So I asked for a dream, and dreamt of moving among the stars. I'm an astrologer, also, and so I played with the numerology until Stardancer came out. It stuck, and I've kept it for most online and private magical use for the last 7 or 8 years. On our wedding invitations I drew a teddybear hugging a star - my husband's first name means 'bear'.

My avatar - well, cats are nice, I like cats, and among the available ones this one stood out as a certain amount of seriousness and the colour was a lovely pure white. And it leaps. I still want one over a star field instead, but for the time being, this one suits me.

I have no signature, but I used to sign my emails with "It's normal to be abnormal, and abnormal to be normal."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)