The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 07:31:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 07:31:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Name, Your Avatar, and Your Sig  (Read 23401 times)
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #45: February 18, 2009, 08:45:54 am »

I see so many interesting names, avatars, and sigs.  I'm just wondering about the stories behind them.

"Zahirah" was a name I chose many years ago when creating characters for a MUD, using a Names website and browsing through the obscure letters.  The bulk of my characters had names starting with a Q. Smiley

However, unlike Qamra, Quenby, and Querita, Zahirah really stuck with me.  According to the site, it means shining or luminous.  Around this time I was researching Paganism, and when joining forums I didn't want to use my typical online moniker, so I selected Zahirah.  I've been using it for so long, and it struck such a harmonious chord, that "Zahirah" feels to be every bit my own name as... well... my own name. Wink

My avatar is a modified Microsoft clip art character, isn't she cute? Smiley  I have quite a few more over on my livejournal.  They kind look like me... if I were a cartoon clip art character, that is.

Finally, I chose this signature quote because I felt it sums up many of the weird and silly things I do quite nicely. Smiley

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #46: February 18, 2009, 09:33:44 am »

*waves*

Hi Aionia, good to see you.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: February 18, 2009, 10:12:57 am »

I see so many interesting names, avatars, and sigs.  I'm just wondering about the stories behind them.

The name "Driven by Dreams" as you can probably guess, came to me in a dream (actually the term was 'driven to dream, which I later changed). I tend to have a lot of dreams which I can remember pretty throughly. Dreamwork and exploring altered states make up the cornerstone of my personal practice- which is good since I love to sleep. Smiley

The avatar I found on a lolcats page and I just thought it was nifty keen. My bottom sig was my own creation.

Darastrix
Apprentice
Last Login:April 19, 2009, 02:55:52 pm

Religion: Celtic Irish Witch

Morrigan Bless You! On second thought...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: February 18, 2009, 11:02:03 am »

I would just like to know why you chose what you did to help define you.  Everyone has a story!

I have just recently changed my display name. Darastrix was a name given to me by a group of friends online(I used to go to school with them as well) In draconic it means Dragon but to my friends it means wise one and great healer. I used to be the peace keeper/mender in our group.

I have the triple moon currently as I am not a full member and it was the only one that seemed fitting for me.

My sig is a quote from one of my namesakes. There were several Elizabeths that my mom named me for. I've always admired Queen Elizabeth I and try to be like her in many ways.

"I may not be a lion, but I am a lion's cub and I have a lion's heart" -Queen Elizabeth I
"Curiousity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back"
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #49: February 18, 2009, 11:10:37 am »

I have just recently changed my display name.

You might want to make a note of that in your sig or something, like "previously known as X" or something.  Otherwise things can get really confusing really fast for those of us who only know you by your old display name.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: February 18, 2009, 03:53:13 pm »

My matron is the Welsh horse Goddess Rhiannon, so I chose Her name, even though I know plenty of people who've told me in the past that you shouldn't take on the name of your deity like that. *shrugs* So far Rhiannon has not said anything to the contrary, so She doesn't seem to mind.

The avatar I got from here on the site, since it fits Rhiannon in Her white mare aspect.

The signature is because Her name is thought to come from the title Rigantona, which meant "Great Queen." The name "Rhiannon" might actually be a title and not a proper name.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: February 18, 2009, 05:23:22 pm »

I would just like to know why you chose what you did to help define you.  Everyone has a story!

~MakaniAhi

My name that I use, Alastriona, is basically the name I use in all Pagan settings. It is an Irish name which means "Defends Mankind" which I found to kind of suit me, and I loved the sound of the name. Most people who know me in Pagan type settings refer to me as Alastriona or "Alas" for short, but I still love my real name, Shannon, as I was named after the River Shannon in Ireland (My family is very much Irish). Other than that, my avatar is a basic one from this forum and I don't have much of a signature. =)
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #52: February 18, 2009, 05:30:35 pm »

Its the flame from a piece of burning ice (yes water ice, and the ice in question came from a oil rich part of the artic (maybe antartic)), and its photo negative. I've got this thing for trying to make graphic represetations of symbolic phrases and the twin flames of Flamekeeping make a goood target.

Steve is my given name; ComW is a contaction of Commander Wallace - A name/rank I acquired in a game a Very long time ago. (Wallace is my actual surname)

My signniture is all the links and bits of info I want peopl eto be aware of. it needs tidying up some - its the absolute maximum amount fo code allowed.

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #53: February 18, 2009, 06:32:46 pm »

Hi Aionia, good to see you.

Hello, sorry I've been AWOL...
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: February 18, 2009, 07:27:04 pm »

My nickname has been Juniper for many years, for a few reasons really. Anybody hear that song 'Jennifer Juniper'? My Dad used to sing it to me when I was a little girl. I also lived in a house called 'Juniper Hill' for quite a few years. I'm also heavily into aromatherapy. Juniper just seems to fit.

My avatar is my gorgeous dog Max. He's a year old now, but he was 4 months old in that picture.

My sig is from my favourite poem, 'Spinster' by Sylvia Plath.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #55: February 18, 2009, 10:06:26 pm »

I was about to ask the same thing.
Because I have a geekly sense of honor - the "copyright royalty" for using avatars created at RC is to let people know where you made 'em.  (Which I'm happy to do; I think it's a nifty site.)

Damn, first it was dragons.  Now, I think there will be a swarm of lego-people avatars. Cheesy
When I first made it (as a sig pic, while we were still on Beehive), there was a spate of people doing their own (the thread where they posted them is here, but most of the pics are gone).  OTOH, I've mentioned it a few times since, with no (visible) result.  So while I anticipated the possibility of Lego self-portraiture activity, I couldn't be sure it'd happen.

I'm happy it did - I like both your and Morag's new avatars (and both of you are people who run into the same body-type problem I do with most avatar-makers).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #56: February 18, 2009, 10:10:54 pm »

My avatar is a modified Microsoft clip art character, isn't she cute? Smiley  I have quite a few more over on my livejournal.  They kind look like me... if I were a cartoon clip art character, that is.
You were part of my inspiration for doing variations on my Lego witch for my LJ icons.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #57: February 18, 2009, 10:18:29 pm »

I'm happy it did - I like both your and Morag's new avatars (and both of you are people who run into the same body-type problem I do with most avatar-makers).

Well, thanks for both the compliment and pointing us to the site.  I only wish they had better hairstyle choices because the only thing I don't like about mine is the somewhat-Blagojevich-esque hair.  But it was the closest thing I could find to my actual hair so... Undecided

But I like it in spite of that.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #58: February 18, 2009, 10:19:45 pm »

I have just recently changed my display name. Darastrix was a name given to me by a group of friends online(I used to go to school with them as well) In draconic it means Dragon but to my friends it means wise one and great healer. I used to be the peace keeper/mender in our group.
And here I'd been thinking it had something to do with owls.

I didn't have trouble recognizing you under your new name; what you put for "religion" is pretty distinctive Cheesy.  (That doesn't mean you shouldn't take Star's advice; others' minds won't necessarily work like mine so confusion is indeed possible.)

Sunflower

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #59: February 18, 2009, 10:20:50 pm »

My nickname has been Juniper for many years, for a few reasons really. Anybody hear that song 'Jennifer Juniper'? My Dad used to sing it to me when I was a little girl.
I always remember that's your real name, because the first time you had occasion to mention it, I asked you about the song.

Sunflower

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)